Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying either a cabana or a tent attachment for my E. I'm not sure which one I want or what brand to get. I know there are a ton of different things out there and I was just wondering if I could get some advice from you guys! :grin:

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
If you actually want to use it for camping, get the tent, the cabana is just that, a cabana that hooks to the rear and provides about 3 feet of privacy to the tailgate.:lol:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If all you need is some (very limited) privacy, the cabana might be ok.

The biggest drawbacks to the Element cabana is that it is an attachment, not a self supporting, enclosed structure. It depends on your vehicle as an anchor, has no floor, and won't keep out bugs.

If you are planning on camping, IMO, for about 50 bucks more than the cabana plus poles, the Honda tent is a better value and a better idea.

The disadvantage of vehicle- attachable tents is that they tend to be slightly more expensive than stand alone ones of comparable quality. That may not be true of the Element tent, since the vehicle has been discontinued, dealer may be marking the Element tent down to get them out of inventory.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have pictures of what either the cabana or the tent from the inside?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
HandA has the tent on EOC special right now for $238, which actually makes it cheaper than the cabana with poles:

http://handa-accessories.com/eoc.html

I guess I could see the benefit of the cabana for someone like a surfer or kayaker who needs a place to change in/out of a wetsuit, but otherwise I'm not sure what I would do with the thing. I've been tempted several times to buy the tent because I think it's hip that Honda makes one for the E but then I'm reminded I already have three tents and even at the discounted price, I can't really justify buying yet another tent just cause it connects to the back of the car.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,897 Posts
The cabana is great if you want to sleep in the car, and it only takes a minute to set up. I have both the cabana and a Sportz SUV tent (same as the Honda version, but without the logo). Have used the cabana 20 times or more, the tent maybe four or five times. Basically the cabana makes sense for a single person or a single overnight stay. For two people or for extended stays, it becomes worthwhile to set up the tent. Those rare times that I do use the tent, I no longer bother attaching it to the car.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The cabana is great if you want to sleep in the car, and it only takes a minute to set up. I have both the cabana and a Sportz SUV tent (same as the Honda version, but without the logo). Have used the cabana 20 times or more, the tent maybe four or five times. Basically the cabana makes sense for a single person or a single overnight stay. For two people or for extended stays, it becomes worthwhile to set up the tent. Those rare times that I do use the tent, I no longer bother attaching it to the car.
So when you sleep in the car, you set up the cabana and leave the back tailgate/hatch open? Does the cabana keep out bugs? I hadn't really realized it had utility while camping - I've never actually seen one in person but always thought it looked more or less like a changing room. I'd love to hear more on how you use it for camping.

As for the tent, when I hear you don't even bother attaching it to the car when you use it, that tells me there's no point in not just sticking with the tents I have.

·
14,897 Posts
More on the cabana in other threads, but briefly, small gaps make for a less-than-perfect seal. That having been said, my experience has been very good—water leakage minor and easy to address, and no bugs so far.

As for mating the SUV tent to the car, I have other options (12x12 popup canopy, Kelty Carport, tarps) that make it less necessary. But if I had only the tent, I'd attach it to the car more often, and still recommend it as a viable system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tent Vs. Cabanna Camping help please

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get some accessories for my element. I will be camping in Aug with my hubby and 18month old child! (yikes) We aren't really "campers" and I want the most comfortable/convenient experience. Can you advise? Tent or cabana or both? Table leg kit? Air mattress or seats together as bed?

Thank you for any help!

·
14,897 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts