Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first and new 2008 LX AWD element. One my first roadtrip I experienced a rattle from the passenger vent. It drove me nuts!!!!!

The rattle sounds like, pop-corn is popping intermittently. The sound is comming from the passenger side vent.

It occurs when the road speed is greater than 45 mph.

And only when the circulation is set to external - not when set to recurculating (internal).

and only when the fan set at low speed - no noise at higher fan speeds or when fan is off.

No noise when set to floor only.

I post by rablerdan talked about reports of this sound is the cabin filter rattling (chattering).

Is this posible?

Has anyone experienced this? Solved it?

I'm thinking a pressure (or air speed) differential between outside and inside makng the fan "buck" or the cabin filter rattle.

Imagine explaining this to a dealer!!!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

lakeefect

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Its under warranty and it sounds like the damper door for the fresh air and may need a little adjustment. The cabin filter i would think would rattle in ether position. Let the dealer handle it that way it will be noted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
an update

As an experiment, I removed the filter holders and filters.
Still, same popcorn noise.
So, at first oil change hopefully dealer will fix.
Definetely not cabin filters - maybe damper door as slimerdogs suggested.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had some "unidentified flying objects" in the evaporator area---took the cabin filters out (and replaced) and vacuumed out the evap box---all quiet now---hope this helps:smile:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had some "unidentified flying objects" in the evaporator area---took the cabin filters out (and replaced) and vacuumed out the evap box---all quiet now---hope this helps:smile:
I need help, I not a car tech - evap box? I'd like to inspect.

But just want to make clear the sound is only when the damper is in the external air position - not when in internat air position.

·
Registered
662 Posts
After taking the cabin filters out, look into the hole they were in. I put a flexible extension on my shop vac and got the unwanted stuff out. Mine did the same thing. There is more airflow on the outside air setting. It could be a damper or other problem----doesn't take long to check my suggestion though. No refunds if I'm wrong.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also curious about this.

Today went to the dealer to get some other things checked and they took out my air filters to show me how bad they are. I get back in my car afterwards (refusing to pay $90 for air filters I can replace myself) and there is a very loud clicking noise whenever I run the fan.

I just took both filters out, blew compressed air into it and came up with a grand total of one leaf. It didn't solve the problem. I don't have a small enough extension hose to stick into the little hole to vacuum out anything else.

Any other ideas? I may have to find a teeny extension hose to attach to my shop vac if that is the only solution.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
More than likely you had something stuck around the filters (probably a leaf) and when they removed them they may have ran the fan for a few seconds. Whatever it was, was sucked up into the fan and is now stuck there. Get to the actual blower somehow and take whatever is no in there out and you'll be quiet as can be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts