Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem.

We had the oil changed in our 2005 Element; Jiffy Lube must have made a mess with the oil filter as it dripped oil heavily in the driveway that night. I took it back next day, they wiped off the undercarriage and all seemed well.

Except since then, occasionally there is a very strong smell in the cabin but only when the temperature control is set to heat. I mean, at first it was as if you had stepped in dog poop --- then more like some had thrown up, and now it is just like a noticeable odor (but nowhere near as bad as in the beginning).

What is confusing is that it is only when:

1. we set the temp control to heat
2. and not always

Any ideas??? :confused:

thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had my oil changed 5 days ago and my element smelled like burnt oil when the heat is on. It isn't as strong anymore but yes, they made a mess as well. I took it to a place that I normally take it to and they had to tighten the filter more. Give it some time to fully burn off. If it doesn't go away in a week then take it back. I drive at least 30 miles a day and it usualy takes that long to go away. It is irritating because my first reaction is, oh no, something is wrong.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Pull your Dipstick !! Make sure the oil level is on the full mark. Keep an eye on it for a few days. Make sure they got the old gasket out. That's the primary concern here. If they failed to remove the old gasket, it will leak at high RPM's only. Tightening the filter will stop the leak for a short period of time, But that won't fix the problem.

Dom

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
This is a potential fire hazard !!!

Don't get your oil changed there any longer... As Dom say's, make sure your level is good... It could be that they just spilled oil when removing the filter, but I think the smell would only last a few hours.

They prolly did not get the old crush washer off and you could have a small leak at the filter. THIS IS A POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD !!! Search the dozens of threads regarding this exact topic!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts