Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am suprised no-one mentioned this mod yet :
http://www.outlawengineering.com/index.html

In terms of $, install ease, and results, these spacers look to be very good.
The fundamental principle matches well with CAI, and let's not forget - basic physics.

They actually publish data (not marketing pseudo-science) on before-after installs.

I ordered a set for my TL, and can report after I get the install done.

They will do a set for the Element, if we can drum up enough interest (20 customers).

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hondata and a few others make a heatshield gasket for us. I have a Sikky one that Ii am willing to sell for 35 shipped. Have vouches. 8)

Bought it for 45. Never used. They do make some power. You should upgrade to an RBC intake manifold at the same time. That would be GREAT bang for your buck, and bolts right on. You already have to take the intake manifold off to put it on. The TB gaskets help some, but not as much as the IM gasket, as it insulates the intake charge from the head put off by the head.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Keep in mind that the insulation value that this type of thing is measured in Minuets. It does not do much after an hour of operation. The gasket becomes heat saturated, and the benefit diminishes with operation time.

If you plan to sprint the car, ( Such as in drag racing, or other types of short duration racing, it has good benefits. For street operation, long trips, of over 1/2 to 3/4 hours and above, the benefit is very limited.

I understand that the theory is that the incoming air charge cools the intake. The gasket is supposed to prevent heat from the head transferring to the Intake tubes. But everything will be very close to the same temp., after a relatively short time period.

Dom

·
Registered
793 Posts
Keep in mind that the insulation value that this type of thing is measured in Minuets. It does not do much after an hour of operation. The gasket becomes heat saturated, and the benefit diminishes with operation time.

If you plan to sprint the car, ( Such as in drag racing, or other types of short duration racing, it has good benefits. For street operation, long trips, of over 1/2 to 3/4 hours and above, the benefit is very limited.

I understand that the theory is that the incoming air charge cools the intake. The gasket is supposed to prevent heat from the head transferring to the Intake tubes. But everything will be very close to the same temp., after a relatively short time period.

Dom

Not meant to miss-inform... Yes, it will heat up after a while. Hence my advice for a new intake manifold as the most bang for buck mod for our cars.

On the RBB or RBC being better.. The RBB is a longer runner manifold with a slightly smaller plenum(better for low end), and the RBC is shorter runners and a larger plenum.(better top end) The RBC flows better than almost ANY oem manifold. You may lose a couple lb-ft of torque in the midrange, but you will not notice it. I call it the freeway manifold. (i.e great for passing)

I have had both manifolds, and like the RBC better... Most of the board has an rbb, but I love my rbc. my .02 Plus they look so clean..8)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I was just wondering whitch one was better the RBC manifold or the RBb?
Just realized you have an 03. If you run an RBC, you need to either:

a. Buy one that is already modified to bolt on to your head from
www.clubrsx.com
www.hybrid-racing.com

b. modify it to fit using your intake manifold gasket to make it clear the coolant neck(the RBC has the coolant port built in for the newer style k series heads.)

Info on the modification is easily found on www.k20a.org

Happy modding!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
i ran the outlaw engineering intake manifold,TB and IACV spacers on my integra when i boosted it. And it worked well, intake temps went down and the manifold was actually cooler to the touch after a drive then it was before.

I only got the kit because i was taking the manifold off anyway to install my block fittings for my breather setup

·
Registered
793 Posts
It depends on where you live, and how much rain you get.. More of a what does your climate allow? If you are afraid that you may suck some water up in the intake, go with the short ram. If you use a cold air with the rbc, you may have to modify the upper intake pipe, since the TB would be positioned different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am in the dfw area. We get all the rain for the year all in a few months. Appox 30 inches a year. So Im guessIng the short ram with the rbc?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I am in Houston... I ran a cold air for a while, with no issues. Have you had a car with a cai before? Do you take your E offroad? Do you drive through water (read water standing on road)? Also, do you have someone to fab the top part of a cold air intake, or better yet fab the whole thing? You could do it without welding, but you may use lots of silicone couplers. My cold air intake is in the best possible place(for me). It is one of the baby cone filters in the hole in the fender where the stock resonator goes. It is high up in the fender, and even with my turbo, I have not sucked up any water. I kind of think it is the best of both worlds, and you dont have to take the bumper off to install it(most of the CAI have a pipe that brings the filter down lower and more up in front of the bumper.

Here is a picture of my setup.

Obviously yours would not come from the back of the motor into the fender like mine does, it would come from the IM. I am running the RBC. Imagine the intercooler pipe to the IM connecting to the fender.
My battery is slightly relocated, but that is not an issue, yours would route slightly different, like this. This is my injen intake on my totally stock SC(RTB manifold). That is how the battery tray is in yours though.

If you dont have someone to fab it up, I can get it done and shipped to you. It would run you a couple hundred just like a regular CAI, but be custom and any color you want...:grin:

You could also use a short ram for an RSX as well. They just point toward the drivers seat so you wouldn't have interference issues.
Only other thing you need to look for is the coolant hose to clear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dude that set up is really sick! I don't do any off roading and about 90% of my driving is city driving. I try to avoid large standing puddles of water but sometimes those are unavoidable. I am still trying to figure out what intake I will be going with. I am Kinda leaning towards the easyist to install for I am kinda new to this whole modding business. Thanxs a crap load for the info tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts