Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right area, but I figured if you have big wheels like me, you would like these. So I got these shipped to me from MGP Caliper Covers last week and installed them. I was surprised at how quick they installed and I really like the looks of them. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Not sure if this is the right area, but I figured if you have big wheels like me, you would like these. So I got these shipped to me from MGP Caliper Covers last week and installed them. I was surprised at how quick they installed and I really like the looks of them. Let me know what you think.
LOVE EM' Ive been looking for something like this for awhile. I found some on ebay, but have been leary with fitment. Do they come in chrome??

i jsut went to their website and they dont even have any listed for honda's????

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to take some soon, I'm leaving for the weekend in a few hours. I got one of the first sets, so they haven't updated their website yet. Just email them, not sure on Chrome - that would be cool. Watch out for the double-sided sticky tape ones on Ebay, they'll fall off eventually. These are held on with nice clips. I got these just for looks but they also reduce brake dust as well as helps keep the caliper cooler. So that's a plus.

·
Registered
556 Posts
those look pretty cool :grin:

·
Registered
480 Posts
What did they run shipped?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay guys. It's been a busy Summer with 2 little boys and me heading back to Grad School. Here's a couple of closer pics. The first one was pre-install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
from what ive seen the covers are universal and come in different sizes

do you have to redo them every pad change?

is basicly what they are.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/reddicaco.html one of the cheapest ive seen them at. but usealy the more you pay the more real they look. but they get to a point where real factory brembos from a type S etc can be cheaper

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are not the same racerrc2000, these ones are held on with aluminum clips and they were really fast to put on, so I think when you do a brake pad change it might add a minute to the time for each wheel. They ran about $200 for all 4, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than saving up thousands for Brembo when I don't really think I need to enhance my braking. Looks a lot better than my painted calipers and I've gotten a lot of compliments. Here's the website (check out the demo videos about the heat reduction): http://www.calipercovers.com/

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yea, just a fyi, that heat video is misleading. These caliper covers were tested by a magazine and found the claim to be false and the explanation was very clear and made sense. They did the same test, got about the same results, but think, the covers are aluminum, which cools easily, and sit off the calipers. Now, they did another test, checked the temp of one uncovered caliper, then jacked up the car, took off a wheel with a caliper cover which took them about a minute then took of the cover and temp checked, it was 8 degrees(if I remember correctly) warmer than the uncovered caliper a minute before. That is not what you want. It is restricting air flow past your calipers, there is a reason they are not used by any manufacturer of brake components.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Yea, just a fyi, that heat video is misleading. These caliper covers were tested by a magazine and found the claim to be false and the explanation was very clear and made sense. They did the same test, got about the same results, but think, the covers are aluminum, which cools easily, and sit off the calipers. Now, they did another test, checked the temp of one uncovered caliper, then jacked up the car, took off a wheel with a caliper cover which took them about a minute then took of the cover and temp checked, it was 8 degrees(if I remember correctly) warmer than the uncovered caliper a minute before. That is not what you want. It is restricting air flow past your calipers, there is a reason they are not used by any manufacturer of brake components.
Later
Steve
Steve, I think you have slight misunderstanding on how brakes are actually cooled. The airflow is not going over the calipers and through the rotors. Airflow to cool brakes actually goes from the hub area, actually the axle area and through the rotor vanes and out towards the caliper/brake pads and cools them that way. Basically air is being sucked in through the axle and out the rotor and across the brake pads and into the caliper.

What these covers are doing is not allowing the heat to dissipate and is trapping it inside the caliper and in turn heating the brake fluid more than it needs to be. If as that magazine stated they didn't take the temperature reading until after first jacking the car up and removing the wheel; then that 8* temp difference is probably closer to 20-30* once you take 1+ minutes into account to jack/remove wheel. That isn't something that you want to do to the one area of the car that is responsible for stopping the vehicle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Larry, I know that, lol. What I was trying to state was they are aluminum and dissipate the heat faster, therefore, being cooler than the actual calipers. They are a waste if money imo and could cause you more problems in the future.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
they look good. now im not a fan of that companies brakes(prolly not the company that makes the covers)

did they have other styles by chance?

when i do my type S front swap il prolly get some matching brembo rear covers if i can find them in the quality of your kit

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
KevinGonad's setup looks nice, but when you have a nice shiny-appearing wheel, caliper or cover on top of an unevenly colored, pitted and/or rusted disc, like post #9, the contrast makes the overall setup look worse, not better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Later
Steve
Steve,

I took some time trying to search for this, but couldn't find anything. Can you tell me the name of the magazine and when they did this? I know that they have official licensing through Ford and GM and that's not an easy task in itself, and I don't see that happening if it's bad for your components.

Thanks,

Kev

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
The critical temperatures are those of the disc and the pad, not the caliper. The disc has by far the largest surface area of the three components. If calipers were the limiting factor for heat dissipation/ braking effectiveness, then they would be designed for maximum surface area, not minimal disruption of airflow. When the vehicle is in motion the caliper is "cooled" by the airflow across the disc, which is radial from the center outward. The more effectively the disc radiates heat, the higher the caliper temperature would be.

If it requires removing a wheel to do a heat measurement at the caliper or disc, the testing method, regardless of results, is amateurish. The caliper and the disc are visible through the wheel, so an IR non-contact reading could be done immediately after stopping - wheel removal isn't necessary. For comparison readings any decent IR thermometer would do. Cheapie units ($50) cover up to 400F +/- 2F. Basic industrial units ($200) like the Raytek Raynger ST20XB have 1% accuracy up to 999F, better ones like the Fluke 568 cover up to 1400F. I'd expect a good automotive test facility to have an industrial unit.

A static measurement like this is actually irrelevant to braking effectiveness. A stopped vehicle doesn't need to brake, so the temperature after the vehicle is stopped is moot. A much simpler and more relevant measurement would be brake fade with repeated controlled stops.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts