Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time lurker and first time poster here. Just joined the Element family a few months ago and it looks like I have to replace my rusty front calipers, warped rotors, and get new brakes at the same time. I've tried searching around and looks like oem is pretty expensive. I saw a couple threads here and some youtube about using Acura TSX or RSX Brake kits as they are upgrades and plug right in, but didn't see any actual model numbers or links to the items so not too sure about buying those. Also looked at these: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6515466&cc=1432629&jsn=420

Are they any good? Much appreciate it if someone can give me some guidance on what to get. Just looking for good quality parts for not over $250 for the front side

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I was thinking the same thing just yesterday, and looked up the same parts. (Great minds thinking alike?)

I'll watch this thread and see what others have to say about performance brakes.

My "E" has 304,000 miles and, if I remember correctly, I still have two original calipers.

Time for an upgrade, I guess.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used centric drilled and slotted for the front with premium centric pads. My son is a professional driver and has had no problems with this setup along with a good tire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went with Brembo blank rotors and genuine Honda pads. Haven't had to replace calipers, mine are still in good shape.

A lot of aftermarket calipers are rebuilt OEM. Some are refinished well and others are rusty under the paint. Kind of hard to know what you'll get sometimes with those companies, but Powerstop is usually decent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've spent a few hours on the topic and as far as I can see the main issues with the RSX/TSX calipers (and variants) is wheel clearance, you might need to shave some part of the caliper or use 5~10mm wheel spacers. I've decided that I'm going to stick with the stock calipers on my Element; if I was going to go for a performance upgrade then I'd consider going through the trouble of ordering and test fitting calipers... which no one ever seems to do around here (at least not with PN#'s!!!) ;-P

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm not sure what OEM calipers costs as both of my Es have all original calipers with 200k each. As for pads and rotors, I've always bought OEM pads and rotors and had great longevity with both. I'm sure there are lots of options out there but I've had such good luck with OEM that I stick with them. I personally don't find them expensive - have you checked H&A Honda:
https://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Having tried aftermarket for rotors / pads, i can say w/o a doubt dont go cheap...I went with best grade NAPA had and they only lasted one year....and I'm a professional driver so not hard on brakes predicting my stops and eyeballing traffic on horizon not car infront of me...

Since then, I only go OEM and everyone at the dealership knows this and never needs to ask. Just had one ( the last one ) rear caliper get hung up in the rear, ended up needing new ABS sensor lines, new bearings and other parts back there....Im more used to the German cars which never rust underneith, this caught me by surprise. As they were removing parts, parts would just crumble and fall apart like "this old house".

But they know me, we love our Elements (we have two) and will keep them both forever and always dressed in OEM parts.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
I used to do road racing in an Acura Integra and even with that I used factory Honda rotors. I'd get them from Hondaautomotiveparts.com since the integra and civic SI cross reference and they were cheaper. I used hawk full race pads and the Honda rotors held up really well!

I do the same for the Element and even my MDX. Always factory Honda rotors and pads.

However, my calipers have seen better days. 170k miles on them living in the north east and they are cruddy and rusty. I would love to replace them with calipers with at least a finish on them.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Sometimes your calipers can be functioning perfectly... but for how much longer?
I was just changing rotors but after I saw what the inside of the caliper pistons looked like new calipers were put on

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I have been using NAPA parts on the E, and not real happy with the wear time. I live in a mountains and brake ALL the time. ( drop 1000' in 2.5 miles every day to my house) . I will be going back to OEM next time around, They seemed to last much longer. So you asked why did I go with the other? Good question. Maybe because the nearest Honda dealership is 2 hours in any direction, and the NAPA guy is 20 minuets away. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this a drop in kit? It says it will not fit my 07 SC
I am returning from a work trip tomorrow so I plan on fitting the brake kit this weekend. I will post my findings but everything I’ve read says yes this will be a direct bolt on upgrade.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am returning from a work trip tomorrow so I plan on fitting the brake kit this weekend. I will post my findings but everything I’ve read says yes this will be a direct bolt on upgrade.
I had a bit of time today and ...... yes, everything bolts right up. The only quick fabrication needed is either BEND or CUT the dust shield to provide clearance for the caliper mounts. I attached a few quick photos.

Attachments

Reactions: ChgoElement

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a bit of time today and ...... yes, everything bolts right up. The only quick fabrication needed is either BEND or CUT the dust shield to provide clearance for the caliper mounts. I attached a few quick photos.
Awesome! The pad hits the rotor correctly, no overlap?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, all geometry is correct. Been driving on them for a week now and just bought set two for one of my other E’s I now consider this a mandatory modification. Five stars this and delayed wipers are absolute musts.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Awesome... Let us all know how the brake dust settles... (Figuratively AND literally... :-D)

If your front wheels don't turn gunmetal gray like my EBC set has turned mine,
I might have to swap prematurely...
:lol:

Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’ve put about 880 miles on the setup and just bought the same exact set to upgrade my 2005 4wd. The pedal feel is great no issues at at with ABS (appx the same size piston) I would say breaking I’m proved buy at least 15%. The rotors are drilled, slotted and zinc coated; I’ve had zero rotor rust. The brake dust is minimal. Still going with 5-stars especially for $160 ish to my front door.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Element EX AWD AT
49 Posts
Adding it to my to-mod list!

Has anyone come across a similar kit with solid rotors? I worry about the unneccessary wear that comes with the drilled and/or slotted variety.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
ianmel22, That is a great price, and glad to hear they are preforming well. Did you notice if Callahan has the same set up for the rears? And glad to hear that they fit, even if Amazon said they wouldn't. Maybe it was because the dust shields needed to be modified.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts