Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 771 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Just back from another weekend at Big Meadows in Shenandoah National Park. Here's a couple pics -- woke up on Saturday to drizzle. The campground was in a cloud nearly the entire day. Cozy. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
E-Camper

Nice camp site... Thanks for the post. Your Green E looks great with the green surroundings.....Nice....:cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice pics! We like Big Meadows too.

Did you see the note in the mid atlantic heading about a meet on Friday? So far 3 Es will be there.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Nice pictures! Looks you you had a good time! I've been trying to get out there but my schedule has been such that it's been pretty much impossible.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hab Mobile said:
Nice pictures! Looks you you had a good time! I've been trying to get out there but my schedule has been such that it's been pretty much impossible.
I hope you can find time this fall -- the best time in east coast ranges!

To paraphrase other sayings: the worst day camping in the mountains is better than any day in DC.

We always have fun in the mountains.

:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was at shenendoah last week and the fog when we were leaving on Monday 9-11 was so thick we could bareley see at times. Thankfully the speed limit is only 35. That sure is a fun place to drive the E though through all the mountain roads.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We sawa bear on a hike we took on the Jones Run trail which lead to a great 42' waterfalls. It was a great hike but the change in elevation (950 feet) within 2 miles is tough coming back up!!!

We also saw a bunch of wild turkey's on the side of Skyline. They were playing and then one ran into the middle of the road...

I also almost hit a deer in the fog but I was going so slow I just stopped in time.

Shenendoah is a great park and we had a great time. It really is beautiful land!!!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jcskolman said:
We sawa bear on a hike we took on the Jones Run trail which lead to a great 42' waterfalls. It was a great hike but the change in elevation (950 feet) within 2 miles is tough coming back up!!!

We also saw a bunch of wild turkey's on the side of Skyline. They were playing and then one ran into the middle of the road...

I also almost hit a deer in the fog but I was going so slow I just stopped in time.

Shenendoah is a great park and we had a great time. It really is beautiful land!!!
If you want to see a bear, Shenandoah must have the best odds outside of going to a zoo. Something like 650 black bears in that relatively narrow national park. A friend of mine has been hiking & backpacking for years out in the northwest and has not seen a bear.

In Shenandoah we've seen several in just the past couple of years. This August, on the Rose River fire road, we had in front of us a mama bear and two cubs. Ranger said these were likely the bears they moved 50 miles south last spring after Mama became too adept at foraging in Big Meadows campground. She heard us before we saw them (Gidget wears a bear bell and the rest of us talk and laugh a lot). At first I thought they were dogs off-leash. Even Mama wasn't very big. They scampered on down the fire road and we never saw them again.

Have seen others around Big Meadows and, most notable, we were driving to the lower Hawksbill Gap trailhead one morning last summer and near there were four bears (!!!) standing alongside the road.

And that was precisely the moment I noticed that I'd forgotten the bear spray!

:-o :-o :-o :-o

Have never heard of Shenandoah bears hurting anyone. Different story in NC's Smokies the last couple years, though. Very sad stories.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bears :)

I was about to mention how supremely unlikely it is that you would ever need to defend yourself from a local black bear... The I noticed your statement about scuzzies. LOL. I hope you never need the bear spray but I have to admit that you have a rational reason to carry it :)

FWIW:
I've worked around bears for years. Remote places. Including Alaskan Brown and Polar bears. I always carried the jumbo economy bear spray at minimum. Sometimes much more. Luckily I never had to use any of it. Anyone who thinks black bears warrent protection needs to read up. I can't remember exactly, but deaths and serious injury from black bears in the East is something less than 5 in 100 years.

Here's a pic from one project site. I should have put something in for scale but that's at least 12 inches long:

Cheers
Hope to see you at the meet Friday

·
Registered
377 Posts
A few posts back there was mention of bears while camping. Last summer we had a momma and 2 cubs stroll through the campground at Lake Mary, near Mammoth, CA. I grabbed my camera and followed them around the campground, staying at a safe distance of course. I happened to look in someone's screen house while doing this and, well, that is what the last photo is about. I guess that there are some things you just can't leave at home...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
wgwood said:
A few posts back there was mention of bears while camping. Last summer we had a momma and 2 cubs stroll through the campground at Lake Mary, near Mammoth, CA. I grabbed my camera and followed them around the campground, staying at a safe distance of course.
Fantastic pics!

wgwood said:
I happened to look in someone's screen house while doing this and, well, that is what the last photo is about. I guess that there are some things you just can't leave at home...
:???: :lol:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Oh Hiker Chick....thy goddess of all that is outdoors...I kneel before thee.

I was a boy scout for years, camped and hiked a lot but then as I grew older I left that behind. One reason I bought the E is illustrated perfectly in this thread. Thanks very much for the boost.

·
Registered
134 Posts
wgwood said:
A few posts back there was mention of bears while camping. Last summer we had a momma and 2 cubs stroll through the campground at Lake Mary, near Mammoth, CA..
We're getting ready for a camping trip and plan to visit Mammoth next week. It seems like you have many bear encounters. We always use the bear boxes at campgrounds, but I'm worried about our E getting broken into if we're just parked somewhere to go hiking. Should we be worried about bears?
Marie

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hiker Chick,
Have you discovered the Tap Room at Big Meadows lodge? I love the Musicologist who does the traditional music show, and the waitress that does a fairly credible Pattsy Cline on Saturday nights. And the local band that seems to be NPS cops... Lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
hiker chick said:
If you want to see a bear, Shenandoah must have the best odds outside of going to a zoo.
My youngest daughter and I hiked the AT in '98 and the only place we saw bears was in New Jersey---of all places.

·
Registered
34 Posts
wgwood said:
In the first photo below, taken 2 years ago at Silver Lake, you can see that the bear saw the cooler through the window and pulled the glass right out of the frame to get it.
How funny. That is exactly like my previous car, sans the bear damage. :D

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First camp trip of '07 -- shakedown cruise for Memorial Week. This weekender was a good reminder that weather forecasts notwithstanding, you'd better be ready for Mother Nature's curveballs -- like overnight temps 20 degrees less than expected. Was chilly this morning! Cloudy, too, after overnight thunderstorms.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 771 Posts