Honda Element Owners Club banner

Camping Platform for Honda Element

26K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Elemental3 
#1 ·
I just finished making a great module, camping platform for the back of my 2004 Element and wanted to share it with kindred souls. See my YouTube videos at

It's not too hard to do it yourself. Hope this helps you on your adventures!

Enjoy. If you want measurements let me know.

#2 ·
Great work! Thanks for sharing!

#5 ·
Great upgrade to the wood used on the other video from the couple. I love this simple platform design. I first wondered if the center support could be slats like what is used for a bed so you could roll up the center and tuck it away easier. But then my other thought when looking at your project video is that I was wondering if a table top legs could be added to the center and place on the left side while seated on the right. The E is so fun to play with...lots of platform to choose from.

Where are you also? You guys might be able to sell these like Ikea parts.

Plans would be nice since I dislike mis-measuring on such nice wood. What was the weight of the finished project?

#7 · (Edited)
I think the slats idea would be kind of a hassle to deal with and I've found having a flat surface is great for putting large objects into easily without it catching on anything.

If you had telescoping legs under the middle pieces that would also be cool but again you could just shove something in there, like a tent or a few milk crates, without snagging the legs.

I live north of Seattle and suggested my brother in law go into the lucrative business of building Honda Element platforms but he's about to retire so it's every Element for him/herself.

Not sure of the weight. With 3/4 ply it's 50% heavier than the 1/2" CDX but man is it sturdy!

I don't like cutting into $75 sheet of ply: suggest being brave or find a buddy with a nice table saw and steady hands. Make it part of the mission.

I did scan the rough measurements looking down plus a few sketches my brother drew, but the rest will be up to your creative geniuses. :)

Will send those next.

#14 ·
Plywood weight

4x8 sheets weigh about 25lbs per 1/4" sheet. So 1/2" is 50lbs and 3/4" is 75lbs. This is an average and depends on material, but is an easy guide line to help you decide.

Nice job on the build. Creating is so satisfying. Gotta love DIY. What are you building/planning next?

#17 ·
Okay, I finally took the old platform for an overnight test. I laid a carpet on the platform and slept on a camping air pad. I'm 5'8" and I'll say I was not too comfy. The platform is a wee bit short and I slept diagonally which helped. But there's not much in the way of sit up room. The platform itself rocked but next time I'll pitch a tent.

#20 ·
Most people build an attachable extension (stored while not in use)... they lay down the front seats almost completely flat and place the extension on top of that. I think it's the only way you can accommodate a sleeping position with the tailgate up.

Check this out: http://2008blog.rishio.com/2008/06/in-my-element-photomobile.html

The fit and finish of your platform is stunning... I would definitely try to modify it to work instead of ditching it....

Also check this one out... http://www.carlzochphotography.com/blog/2014/04/honda-element.html

#19 ·
So what are you going to do with the platform then?

#21 · (Edited)
I might not have been clear: The platform is an epic way to store stuff when car camping. But it's best as a storage locker/pantry versus a bedroom. I'll use it all summer, but just pitch a tent for sleeping, No biggie. Seijou's link is awesome and shows the platform can make a perfect bed for some.

Attachments

#22 ·
i think i'd never go all the way across with a platform simply because i'd like to be able to swing my feet over int he morning and put them on the floor. otherwise you're just crawling around all day. also, being tall and lanky, its not even an option for my bed to not go all the way to the dashboard. i tried a setup with the tailgate down but i wasn't crazy about it, had a face full of mosquito netting the first night and my head crammed against the back of the front seat the next.

#23 ·
Nice to see that you can still use the platform as bins. I am only 5 ft 1" so no extention needed for me. If I didn't have to have 3 seats now again, I would love a platform with storage underneath. Especially where you didn't have to move things around to get to them. I like the idea of drawers/slides some how, just haven't figured it out.

The link Ode to the Toaster is awesome. Looks like a well used Element and great life. Thanks for the post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.