Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share my camping setup for anyone that was in the same position as I was. I wanted to sleep in the E, but have an extended tent area that was cheaper than the Cabana tent. I found a setup for about $140 at Walmart, and it works great. The hatch can be opened or closed, and the 4th side of the canopy can be open, closed, or anywhere in between. Works great so far. I've attached some pics.

The Canopy is a First Up 10x10 I found on sale at Walmart for $97, and the sides that match were about $37 at Walmart as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Roadie, this looks great...simple and comfortable...and a good value. Skreenz on your front windows would make it perfect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
when a wind blows the canopy into your E and scratches it up you'll be sorry, I was.
Yeah I could see that happening pretty easily if you're not prepared for it. The only parts that could touch the E are the "scissor" poles at the top of the canopy, and the zippered part of the door. Nothing some duct tape can't solve :D.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just make sure you guy out the canopy, same as with a tent in windy conditions. No fuss, no muss... no scratches.;-)

·
Registered
98 Posts
vs. Cabana

I have the Cabana, and I must say I like your set-up better. It looks like you can drive your E and leave the canopy standing. That's one drawback of the Cabana. You have to take it down to drive anywhere. I take a bicycle with me, but there are times I want to drive my E. Plus your canopy has a lot more room available than the Cabana. Handy Setup! :cool:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Wow...!

Very cool Roadie...!

I'm about to go camping in a couple of weeks (again) and I've managed to do a tent camp (early Sep) for an "out-of-box" (E)xperience...:D I wanted to get some break-in miles on the Lunch Box and take my girl camping to our annual "secret" lake site...

Now that I got the Lunch Box, I'll be going out with the "guys" and skipping the tent... I'll definitely by using the idea for our end of season camping finale when a bunch of the families are going...

Thanks for a cool idea...! :cool:

LBD

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm so in to love with you right now. o have one of these, in white from my craft show days. It's been in the shed for like four years. I have all the walls and sandbags which resolves the blowing away issue (trust me). Of course, staking might be better weight wise, but it's worth tinkering with.

I'll also have to consider tent sites. Not sure all would accommodate since Big Meadows, for example, is pretty strict regarding parking placement.

The more I think about this thought the mosre I like it. While I have tents, sleeping in the E I don't need one for anything other than storing and changing ang shelter if it rains. This I can use on the back or sides or in the tent spot. Easier than setting up a tent and roomy enough for all of us. Now, lets jusyt hope it has mildewed after all these years....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dude this thing is freakin heavy. I'm wondering if those of you who used it had a lighter model? I have the heavy duty steel EZ Up in the roll case. I may practice with it today and see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is pretty heavy, but mine had a case that had wheels on it.

Depends on how I have it setup for attaching the sides. Sometimes I have the E in the middle, or to one side so there is alot of room on one side. Or I'll not quite back the E in all the way depending on the weather. I've attached it either with the clips that come with it, or used bungie cords of various lengths. There are so many options for setting it up. All 4 sides can be closed, or you can close the sides over the hatch while open, etc. With the canopy raised all the way, it fits right over the hatch so it can be opened fully without hitting it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Used a setup like this a couple of times and it's great. Extra room to store your stuff while staying in the E. Got mine from Gaunder Mountain $200(actually got it on sale with an extended warranty for under $200) and it comes with the sides and screen sides as well. Money well spent and it holds up to the elements, and yes stake it down so it won't blow into your car!

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=411204&pdesc=Gander_Mountain_Combo_Canopy_with_Mesh_Sides&cname=Pop-Up-Canopies&aID=505K3B&merchID=4006&r=view

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
i used a set up like this over the weekend (i will post pics soon).

anyways, i've read several posts saying to "guy" the canopy... or something of that nature.

what does that mean? anyone have some photos to show?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts