Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone--

I have owned a 2007 Honda Element now for a month and had to have some repairs (exhaust, rotors, and now there is a squeak in the door). But it's time to road test it. It's an odd little vehicle and I bought it primarily because I don't want to stay hotels right now and I don't want to completely give up on travel. I haven't camped in a couple decades--so a couple questions--1st I thought my model was an EX but as I'm reading the manual (which I also somehow lost even though I don't go anywhere so now I'm reading the PDF) I notice I don't have a few things the EX is supposed to have--a front ceiling pocket, sockets in the back, and bungie straps on the back seat--I do have 4WD and the moonroof which is what I cared about but it there a way to find model for sure?

I want to sleep in the car. I put the back seat down and it seems like it could make a bed if I took off the front seat head rest? Or I could put both seats up (there will be two of us sleeping and a mat). I don't really want to take the seats out right now because I'm not very good at getting things back in and I don't know where I would put them anyway.

I want a little ventilation so I thought I could crack the side window and sunroof and put up a little netting? Any advice on that? Also what can I use the front charger for? Just charging the phone basically? I have thought about replacing the radio and having something with a usb port put in. Has anyone done that? Is it hard to put a socket in the back? (I won't be doing it myself but I can tell my mechanic).

Any and all suggestions and hacks welcome.

·
Registered
81 Posts
you should be able to lay all 4 seats flat with head rests removed to make a platform. Cabelas used to make this insulated mattress that fit PERFECTLY over the Element seats. Not sure if they still carry it. I've also seen people use backpacking mattresses. You just need to do it once, then the seats are super easy to get in and out. I just store them in my living room when I take them out for a trip or when I need to fit more stuff in the E, or put them in my storage unit if they're gonna be out longer.

Ursa minor put in a back socket when they installed my ecamper, and I have an adapter that I can plug in chargers for my laptop with a regular plug and it has usb ports as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you remove the head rests do they go back in easily? Yes I think I would want some pad over the seats. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sleeping on the seats works, but is not ideal. Search for the many platform threads on here and see what people have done to make the Element a better camping vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
Mat, or cat?

It sounds like you have an LX. I can't imagine even a dedicated modder removing the rear power outlet or overhead storage compartment To be sure, verify that the under-hood VIN and the dashboard VINs match and use that VIN to Identify the model type here.

You can buy 1/8 elastic cord for the seat backs.

Sleeping comfort depends on height, weight and sleeping position. If you are side-sleepers you could raise the seats. and use a foam pad or a partially inflated air mattress. I couldn't side-sleep on the reclined seats without lots of contoured padding or an air mattress. A 56" full air mattress partially inflated will fit on top of the reclined seats or on the floor. Headrests go into the rear side pockets or on the floor behind the front seats, come out and go back in easily.
Either way you will need to put your luggage elsewhere.

A mosquito net made for a baby carriage will stretch over an entire rear door, allowing you to keep the side window open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts