Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my 3rd summer in the midwest after living in the PNW for 8yrs and growing up in Wyoming. I love to camp, wander around in nature, and get away from the city. I fully understand nothing in the midwest is going to live up to my PNW expectations, but does anyone have any recommendations for camp spots within about a 3 to 4 hrs drive from the Chicago area (near O'hare)? We're looking for places that aren't just parks with a bunch of RVs. More primitive, but also a place that we can still drive into with the Element and a bit secluded.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! ✌

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, @vadim I appreciate the helpful suggestion. We'll definitely check it out! So far Wisconsin has been a great place to explore.

Try Kettle Moraine South in Wi, about 2 hrs. Kettle Moraine South - Wisconsin DNR. Haven't been there in decades, but was good once. Perhaps not as primitive as you want, but lots of foot trails.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,448 Posts
Alaska is a great place to camp!! Oh, wait, you said 3-4 hours...... o_O ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
This will be my 3rd summer in the midwest after living in the PNW for 8yrs and growing up in Wyoming. I love to camp, wander around in nature, and get away from the city. I fully understand nothing in the midwest is going to live up to my PNW expectations, but does anyone have any recommendations for camp spots within about a 3 to 4 hrs drive from the Chicago area (near O'hare)? We're looking for places that aren't just parks with a bunch of RVs. More primitive, but also a place that we can still drive into with the Element and a bit secluded.

Try Turkey Run in Indiana. Its south west of Indianapolis, but should be ~ 4 hours or less from Chicago (depending on where you are in Chicago, anyway!).

It has the usual camping, hiking trails, canoe trips, and more. Had a blast the last time I was there, but that was decades ago!

Per their website, it looks like it should be open now. But knowing how things are these days, you'll want to get some firm verification on that before going out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@sdn4022 Thanks! Devils Lake looks beautiful. From the pictures, it reminds me a bit of Paulina Lake in Oregon.
No problem. It is widely considered the number one State Park in Wisconsin. And there are a lot of nice ones. Of course it somewhat depends on what activities you are looking to partake in

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sleeping Bear Dunes Mi. Take the ferry across lake Michigan to ludington and you'll be 30 minutes from all sorts of state land. Fort Wilkins Michigan if you want some wilderness. Southern shore of Lake Superior is very cool but 7 to 8 hours. Its worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts