Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're about to go camping - does anyone have any suggestions for using the element?... ie. does a twin bed matress fit in the back with the seats out?.... has anyone tried to use the additional power jacks with the car turned off - how long can you run something off of it?...before running into any problems..?? Let me know if you have any creative ideas / suggestions for camping...:)
:twisted:
-pdub

·
Registered
608 Posts
Pdub,

You may be the 1st one of us to going camping with the Element.

If you would and could, please let us know how it goes, and what you find out.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
the interior width is about 44" at the most narrow point.. You will need to move the front seats up, or have the tail gate open.

if you got with the Aerobed... here are the dimensions:
• Twin inflates to 74 in. long x 39 in. wide x 11 in. high
• Full inflates to 74 in. long x 53 in. wide x 11 in. high
• Queen inflates to 74 in. long x 59 in. wide x 11 in. high

So a twin width looks like it will fit perfectly.

Good luck, we are gonna wait to here about your Element Camping Experience!

·
Registered
55 Posts
[quote:0afe0c6b0f="GYPSYTDA"]the interior width is about 44" at the most narrow point.. You will need to move the front seats up, or have the tail gate open.

if you got with the Aerobed... here are the dimensions:
• Twin inflates to 74 in. long x 39 in. wide x 11 in. high
• Full inflates to 74 in. long x 53 in. wide x 11 in. high
• Queen inflates to 74 in. long x 59 in. wide x 11 in. high

So a twin width looks like it will fit perfectly.

Good luck, we are gonna wait to here about your Element Camping Experience![/quote:0afe0c6b0f]man got to invest in a aerobed after i get the dam car... :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Me too, they are nice, I like how they have the built in pump and the speed of inflation and de-flating.. very nice. I might try to see if I can squeeze a full size in there, which would keep the cold walls off of ya.. it might work.. figure if you don't inflate it all the way.. so if i do this i will let ya all know..

I would love to hear what every one else i gonna do and try!

·
Registered
116 Posts
My husband said, "no way am I going to sleep on a single bed air mattress." There is more room than that to sleep in the Elemnet. What we have used for years to sleep on is a coupld of those waffle foam pads that go on top of a bed (double bed size). We wrap them up in a comforter cover and then we lay it flat on the floor for sleeping. It oozes into those extra few inches of room that we like to have. Dogs fit where they can at head and feet and we snooze away. If we are on a road trip we have an old blanket that we toss over the pad and we pack right on top of it like we would the floor. It workes great for us and we get a bit more sleeping room.

Joan
http://www.eburg.com/~jneslund/matt/Honda_Element/

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Joan you are neat, and yeah my hubbie & I were talking about the fit of a mattress back there.. and we likely would get a full size air mattress, place it un-inflated then let it fill the space.. when it is inflating.

That would also keep those cold walls off of ya, and it would not slip and slide either.

Your technique is cool too, but i can not stand those nasty foam things, plus they take up alot of space, with the air beds they collapse nicely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback - I'm going to go camping sometime after Valentine's day with my girlfriend and roomates. As for sleeping in the Element, I just bought a new matress for my futon, so I'll probably use the old futon matress for the camping trip. - I've used it a few times before, when going camping in my old truck, a 1981 Dodge Ramcharger. I'll be sure to bring a camera when I go, so I can post the pics of the trip.
Cheers,
:twisted:
-pdub

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
awesome pdub that sounds like fun..where abouts are you planning to camp? Have a good time, and we all will look forward to those pix!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Man I say get a tent. I will be using my Element to transport me to the outdoors and then sleep in a tent. Nothing beats staring up at the stars through the mosquito net in my tent while the campfire is slowly going out.

Doug

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
dstrand: that is why i love that back skylight,.. just for the same purpose.. with the screen! But it nice to have the option to camp in your vehicle, or camp in a tent.. always an option.. this is a good thing!

·
Registered
80 Posts
i havent camped in mine yet but i can tell you it makes a great mobile motel. me and my girl checked it out. no three hour rates either. :twisted:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was just Looking at the REI webpage too (well a bunch of webpages) but This is one thing i thought i should share.

They have an Intex Supream Fast Fill DC Double.
It has the built in pump like the Aero, but its a 12 Volt DC Model, so no power inverter needed.

And its listing as 45.00 right now.

Much better then the roughtly 99.99 for the Aerobed.

They also have a few other models all under "sleep Gear"

I know Target.com has one too, but not with the pump bult in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I camped out in mine in the mtns of Taos last week. I used an airmattress with the seats up and forward. I woke up car covered in snow and a little cold from the airmattress, but other than that it was great. I turned the car on and cranked the heat and was ready to go. On the way back to Texas I put down the passenger front and back seats. I am 6'4" and fit great. I put a big thermarest and sleeping bag on top with a blanket and slept for 3 hours. Have NEVER done that before. I can't wait until my next roadtrip. 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts