Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my CE light come on for the first time and the only code shown is P0341.
The full read on the code is P0341: Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CKT Range/Perf.

My question is...which camshaft sensor is it? The intake or exhaust? I've searched through all the forums and can't seem to identify it. My guess would be the exhaust...any thoughts?

·
Registered
590 Posts
change the oil and clear it before you dig too deep. could be a cam advance issue with a the vtech solenoid. start simple

·
Registered
590 Posts
did a quick search for that code on a technician forum, and the big thing that came up was sludge or timing chain issues. remove the valve cover and double check physical timing marks on cam/crank. neglected K24's jump timing if the guides and chain get beat when not cared for. lots of hits for this on high mileage accords with poor maintenance or when lube joints use the wrong weight oil.

·
Registered
246 Posts
any thoughts?
Spam16v is on it - odds are very, very good that the timing chain is stretched beyond the service limit and the PCM can no longer compensate the phase error between the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor and still maintain emissions control.

FWIW, dirty oil is a bigger contributing factor than high mileage. Every k24 chain I've had to replace for customers had less than 100k on it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i love all the arguments that occur on here saying the book says 10k on petroleum oil, so that's all i'm going to do. quality synthetic oil and more frequent intervals is good insurance against very expensive repairs.

what kind of maintenance records do you have for your vehicle? are you the original owner?

·
Registered
178 Posts
i love all the arguments that occur on here saying the book says 10k on petroleum oil, so that's all i'm going to do. quality synthetic oil and more frequent intervals is good insurance against very expensive repairs.
Thank goodness there are people on here who know what they are talking about. Coming here from other forums where there was intermediate to professional knowledge to this forum where 95% of members are "weekend mechanics" just leads to too many members not wanting to help at all when all that ensues is an argument over who knows best. Sorry to hijack this thread, just saw your comment and wanted to give you kudos brother.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Thank goodness there are people on here who know what they are talking about. Coming here from other forums where there was intermediate to professional knowledge to this forum where 95% of members are "weekend mechanics" just leads to too many members not wanting to help at all when all that ensues is an argument over who knows best. Sorry to hijack this thread, just saw your comment and wanted to give you kudos brother.

The boys that posted above your post, are a bit more than "weekend mechanics" !!

They each work on cars for a living Every day! ( one is Specifically Honda ) One Is a qualified Instructor!

Ya, their good!

And we are lucky !

Dom

·
Registered
590 Posts
flattery will get you nowhere Dom... ;) i'm taken. wish i was still teaching in CT. quit my job recently here in buffalo and went out on my own. couldn't afford the owner planning his next vacation or buying more cars getting in the way of remembering to call in payroll and taking care of customers.

oil services are a loss leader, the average shop LOSES MONEY on every single oil change. yes, it allows them to find more stuff that's broken, and then in turn make money. but i would rather lose money on oil services and make money on things like brakes, tires, and other things that come with time in service of a vehicle that the customer can plan and budget for, rather than have an upset customer with a surprise break down due to lack of preventative maintenance which could have been avoided.

not to throw stones but engineers can be the worst sometimes... lots of them have lived lifetimes on paper and not in the real world application of those words and only know how to read that which is printed and cannot waver. "But the book says...." there's a lot of ways to apply those words, and a lot of legal jargon written between those lines as well to avoid liability.

long story short, oil's cheap... change it often. do it for both of us.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The boys that posted above your post, are a bit more than "weekend mechanics" !!

They each work on cars for a living Every day! ( one is Specifically Honda ) One Is a qualified Instructor!

Ya, their good!

And we are lucky !

Dom
Glad to hear they are here. Worked in a shop for years and did my fair share of all repairs and still love the responses from the casual "oil changer" about how they know better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts