Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy the avic-x910bt in a month or so and i wanted to know if i could connect a portable HDD to the usb portion and access mp3s.

If its possible i'll just run a usb extension to somewhere easy to access yet hidden and plug/unplug my HDD to update my media library as i need it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

EF

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey ElementFanatic,

The Operating System is extremely slow to warn you now.
I used to have Pioneer 910bt in my Element...you can connect a portable HDD. I connected a 32GB USB Flash Drive, I watched movies, videos on it. and it took 2-3 minutes to read the Drive...I also had a 8 GB SD card connected which may of made it slower. I had the Back up camera and that would take 3-4 seconds for the picture to show. You can hide the HDD in the glove box b/c thats where they installed the USB cable.

If you want some advice on the system, let me know.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent you a PM, obviously im not the best on mobile electronics and i'd love to learn any input. Does the backup camera automatically turn on when the car is put into reverse? If so the few seconds delay wouldnt bug me that much i wouldnt think as i spend the first 4-5 seconds checking the back corners of my car to make sure im not hitting anyone/thing.

Does it have a 2-3 minuet pause in between each song coming off the portable HDD? you said it takes a couple minuets to read, is this each time the car starts or just once then its "primed" up?

If anyone has better recommendations for me instead of getting the x910bt with hd/xm tuners and ipod cables let me know.(also i was told to choose the 910 over the 920 because the 910 is hackable to allow different modifications unlike the 920)

My requirements are navi/ipod/HD/DVD/XM I'd like touchscreen but might be able to do without.

P.S the 910 just looks so cartoonish and happy!!! lol i like it :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just pm you too...hahaha
The backup cam turns on when you put it into reverse.
There are no pauses when skipping songs. When it first starts up, it'll take sometime to read the HD. It would also pause/lag when I would go into the Menu. Are you sure the 920 isnt hackable...try AVIC411.com for more anwsers. The 910bt is awesome looking....the 3d images when I drove into DC were remarkable...

I sent you a PM, obviously im not the best on mobile electronics and i'd love to learn any input. Does the backup camera automatically turn on when the car is put into reverse? If so the few seconds delay wouldnt bug me that much i wouldnt think as i spend the first 4-5 seconds checking the back corners of my car to make sure im not hitting anyone/thing.

Does it have a 2-3 minuet pause in between each song coming off the portable HDD? you said it takes a couple minuets to read, is this each time the car starts or just once then its "primed" up?

If anyone has better recommendations for me instead of getting the x910bt with hd/xm tuners and ipod cables let me know.(also i was told to choose the 910 over the 920 because the 910 is hackable to allow different modifications unlike the 920)

My requirements are navi/ipod/HD/DVD/XM I'd like touchscreen but might be able to do without.

P.S the 910 just looks so cartoonish and happy!!! lol i like it :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
a large jump drive will work fine, but a true protable hard drive would have to be one that has a usb cable and a power cord. the ones that power thru the usb, like a WD passport for example, will not work. the "x series" hacks are the same as the "f series" ones from pioneer. i have installed several 710's and 910's and all have been great units. highly recommended.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think im going to end up with the x910bt for the price, also i got the XM tuner off Craigslist locally for 10 bucks, working a deal on the P10HD HD radio tuner for 30-50 bucks depends on how the guy deals.Also I'm going to order Ipod cables. I think I'll have to pay about 588 for the Head Unit, just need to find the right wiring harness(any one know?) to order so its all here and ready for my break. I plan on adding the Back up camera and Sirius tuner after the summer. Is there anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I think im going to end up with the x910bt for the price, also i got the XM tuner off Craigslist locally for 10 bucks, working a deal on the P10HD HD radio tuner for 30-50 bucks depends on how the guy deals.Also I'm going to order Ipod cables. I think I'll have to pay about 588 for the Head Unit, just need to find the right wiring harness(any one know?) to order so its all here and ready for my break. I plan on adding the Back up camera and Sirius tuner after the summer. Is there anything I'm missing?
you need a metra 70-1721 harness and the scosche ha1701b double din kit.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I give up!

i've spent the past 2 hours trying to figure this out and i need help. I've gotten everything wired up and ready to plug and play but i cant find a single space to place my xm tuner. Can anyone help me find a place? I know people have installed them before i just cant figure out where to place the xm "brick"

Where have other owners installed this at?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Open to any and all ideas BTW, soon as i get an idea ill go try it, dash it taken apart everything is waiting for me to find a spot to put the tuner.

Thanks guys/gals!

EF

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
depending on which model your tuner is i would put it in the OEM amp's location in the passenger kickpanel if it would fit. remove the u shaped trim behind the passenger seat. remove the passenger sill panel. remove the passenger kickpanel. insert xm tuner

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive got the gex-p20xm and ill test that spot tomorrow during the day, i said screw it tonight and left it in the glovebox.

my new radio works amazing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts