Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spray painted some of my trims...bottom plastic trim that extends from wheel to wheel and the back bumper...fairly blotchy job...Can Back to Black even it out...OR should i just repaint them? Thanks Homies.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its ruined, your only option is to get a new car.....

ps. It should work teoretically. look out, big word. FYI just want to anounce, Im traveling in malysia and havent see none element.:-(

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was that sarcasm? because i could easily just replace it with a nice SC bumper ...but really tho? it was only 1 coat of paint .

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sk8,

It'll prolly work for a few weeks, but back to black only works for a month "ish". It won't hurt to try it.... I think.:confused:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Back to Black is a clear cleaner/preservative....it won't dye the panels black...

Forever Black is pretty good at covering up small mistakes (wax or gunk etc) stuck on the panels, but again, it's only a dye, and will wear off...I usually apply it once a year.
But you may have to do the entire panel, and then all the panels, just to even out the colour, and make it all look uniform - and that may take a few coats....

It would be nice if you could post a few pics, so we can see what you are looking at, and offer better advise....

·
Registered
557 Posts
IF you painted the panels, back to black will only make it so you can't fix the paint. I'd take the panels off the car, sand them down till they look frosty and ugly, paint them with several coats of the color you were looking for, which would probably be flat black, but before that, make sure you lay down a flexible primer so that when the panels flex, the paint will still stick, then lay down several coats of your color, and then add a nice satin or crystal clear, clear coat, and add two or three more, wet sanding inbetween coats, and then when you put the last coat of clear on finish it off with a piece of #000 steel wool, and that will clean off any bumps, and you should have some beautiful flat black bumpers and it will look just fine. don't try to "fix" it. Re-do it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good tips guys, and Serj ty. Ive been meaning to do this..and ultimately is the most likely solution i will take. TBH last time i didnt even take the panels off..just sorta taped em off and went at it...you can imagine the blotchiness....I will most likely be taking the pieces off, sanding them, and doing it all over...after this heat wave passes. Really tryin to find a good value for an SC rear bumper as of now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i thought we were talking about AC/DC in the beginning....lol. :rolleyes:
good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
557 Posts
good tips guys, and Serj ty. Ive been meaning to do this..and ultimately is the most likely solution i will take. TBH last time i didnt even take the panels off..just sorta taped em off and went at it...you can imagine the blotchiness....I will most likely be taking the pieces off, sanding them, and doing it all over...after this heat wave passes. Really tryin to find a good value for an SC rear bumper as of now.
I'd take one panel off at a time and paint it so you can always drive the car and not feel silly. If you have a garage that would be the best place, and be sure to do the flex primer or the next time you hose off the car, the paint will flake off.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can tell you right now..this Krylon Fusion does not seem to flake one bit...good stuff

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I can tell you right now..this Krylon Fusion does not seem to flake one bit...good stuff
wait for it...lol

I have to recoat the bumpers about once a year....but, to be fair....I think it's mostly due to stone chips....:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts