Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. My son is having a "destination" wedding this December. He is getting married in Hawaii. I broke my "piggy" bank and found I had just enough money to go. His fiancee has a girlfriend in the travel business and she was able to hook everybody up with flight, hotel and rental car for a decent price. I was hoping to take my GPS with me so I can drive all over the island when I get there. Is this a good idea? Are there any restrictions? Will it screw up my GPS if it is X-rayed? I really don't wanna go back to the old days of looking at maps. Opionions and suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
not a problem at all. You can just stash it in your carry on bag. They don't ask to see it and power it up like a laptop. I have taken my gps from time to time on trips and once I asked them if I needed to do anything special with it and the TSA said it was fine left in the bag.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Like has been said - no problem. TSA just treats it like any other small portable electronic device, like an ipod, or portable DVD player. My son travels with his all the time. X-rays won't hurt it at all. Many manufacturers do x-ray spot-checks of their devices to look for assembly errors. Just make sure your GPS has Hawaii maps :)

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Thanks for the info. Makes it a lot easier taking my GPS. Hope to update my maps before my trip to Disney World in August.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Not only can you take it but if you keep its bluetooth radio turned off (assuming it has one) you can turn it on while in flight and watch your car zoom across the country :-D

·
Registered
997 Posts
Not only can you take it but if you keep its bluetooth radio turned off (assuming it has one) you can turn it on while in flight and watch your car zoom across the country :-D

and then see what it does for a road when you are over the ocean :)
"Make a U-turn when safe"

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Ask first. If they say it's OK, then you can watch yourself zooming. Flight crews can get touchy about things these days.

I used to casually check my dosimeter while in flight and have fun showing my seat mates how much radiation we were taking because of the altitude.

Ask first...

·
Registered
773 Posts
I used to casually check my dosimeter while in flight and have fun showing my seat mates how much radiation we were taking because of the altitude.
I am almost afraid to ask why you had a dosimeter in your carry-on.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I am almost afraid to ask why you had a dosimeter in your carry-on.
Um, perhaps so I could show my seat mates how much radiation you get when you're seven miles up? :) My uncle (Sam) gave it to me. He's a little strange sometimes.

The point is that some flight crews, especially on flights headed in to sensitive areas like NY or DC, take such offense to seeing you holding a unexpected device to the window that you might wake up and find yourself handcuffed or duck taped to the seat. Asking first will often get approval when they might say no otherwise.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maps....

You may want to see if you need to download maps for Hawaii. I don't know that all GPS units come with maps for that area. Many (most?) only come pre-loaded with North America.

I'd hate for you to get it there and find out it is not useful!

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
My Garmin didn't come with the Hawaii maps loaded. Kinda of crappy when you order it when you live IN Hawaii. Had to call Garmin and they got me to a place where I could download the entire 50 state map instead of just the 48 the GPS came with.

·
Registered
603 Posts
We took our Garmin to Las Vegas. No one bothered us when we pulled it out and used it on the plane. Of course you need to be next to a window seat. As always ask. Everyone is now touchy about gadgets, etc.

It was interesting to see all the data and see the route the plane was taking. Let us see some sites form several thousand feet up.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I wish they'd finally stop the whole "turn off electronics" thing. It's been proven over and over that normal consumer electronics won't do anything to the navigation systems on a plane.

Hell, mythbusters tried their hardest to get some old outdated instruments to hickup and got nothing.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I wish they'd finally stop the whole "turn off electronics" thing. It's been proven over and over that normal consumer electronics won't do anything to the navigation systems on a plane.

Hell, mythbusters tried their hardest to get some old outdated instruments to hickup and got nothing.
Remember the FAA is still running air traffic control systems from the 1970's. Change does NOT come fast to this group. IMHO I doubt they ever will change unless the change is forced on them through a major disaster of some kind.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts