Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no intention of using xm Radio, so I'd like to get it out of my system (off my steering wheel controls and my radio options). Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck with it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
umm just dont use it. Simple as that. It is built in. you dont have a choice

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have no intention of using xm Radio, so I'd like to get it out of my system (off my steering wheel controls and my radio options). Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck with it?
Thanks.
Remove the headunit and unplug the XM tuner. Very easy to do. Use a straight-head screwdriver covered in electrical tape (to prevent scratching) and look at the bottom of the stereo trim plate (above the AC controls). You will see small notches on each side. Insert screwdriver and gently pull away from the dash to release the clips on each side. Then pull trim plate away and use screwdriver to release clips on each upper corner. Gently pull away from the dash and the clips will release. Then use a phillips screwdriver and remove the 4 screws holding the stereo in place. Pull out the headunit and unplug the XM radio, which is the 14-pin white plug next to the 20-pin main audio connector. Just remember to plug it back in if you decide to sell the car so the new owner can use the XM if they decide to activate it. You can also buy an iPod Connection Kit, which plugs into the 14-pin connector if you have an iPod and want to control it with the headunit and display the text info on the headunit.

In the photo below, the XM tuner is plugged into the white connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
subscription?

If you don't renew it it'll die on it's own. :D

Personally the uncut, uncensored XM Comedy Chanel has gotten me through many a BAD commutes without killing anyone.:twisted::twisted::-o

XM is a life saver.... someone elses life anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you don't renew it it'll die on it's own.
He wants to disconnect it so it won't appear when he switches modes on the steering wheel. Even if he doesn't subscribe, the mode button will still toggle through AM, FM1, FM2, XM1, XM2, and CD. He just wants AM, FM1, FM2, CD.

·
Registered
324 Posts
XM disconnect

The XM unit is on rear passenger side panel near cargo area above tire . you can disconnect it from there .

·
Registered
357 Posts
He wants to disconnect it so it won't appear when he switches modes on the steering wheel. Even if he doesn't subscribe, the mode button will still toggle through AM, FM1, FM2, XM1, XM2, and CD. He just wants AM, FM1, FM2, CD.
Oh! I could see how that would be a big pain in the butt.:grin:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Give him a break. Don't give him any grief. If he doesn't want XM, he doesn't want XM. I myself did not want it. I found a way to use it for something else (see below).

-------

kimnjerry:

You can unplug the XM from your radio. It is probably easier to unplug it from the back of the radio (see Hillstones' post, #3, above). However, you can also take advantage of the XM for something other than XM.

Do you own an iPod, or wish to get one? Look into this iSimple device from Peripheral Electronics. It allows you to control your iPod with your stereo head unit. It displays the song titles and other information on the screen as well. You can browse through your iPod's playlists, albums, artists, and songs. It also has random play.

Install is pretty easy. Pull out your radio. Plug the included harness where your XM currently plugs into (the white socket in the pic above). You can plug the XM into the harness if you wish to have the option for XM available later. Or you can leave the XM unplugged like I did. Once you have it all plugged in and the control box secured inside the console, put the radio back in and you're done.

I'm not sure, but I think you can also plug in other mp3 players in it as well. I never really checked.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly. That's all I want...but I guess I'm stuck with it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Exactly. That's all I want...but I guess I'm stuck with it.
Thanks.
See my earlier post. You are not "stuck" with it. If you unplug the XM tuner from the back of the radio, your Mode button will toggle through AM, FM1, FM2, and CD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Hillstones!! When I went to the dealer a month ago they said they could do nothing. I pulled my xm yesterday with your directions and it's great.

Thanks again for posting the information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How to disconnect the XM radio connection?

Hello
Can anyone please help me find where this XM connection is located in the rear compartment of the 2009 EX? My new Bluetooth kit interferes with the XM radio and my cell phone won't connect.
Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here I am wanting to try and find a head unit with it built in so I can use it. I hate the minimal available radio stations on my usual commutes

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here I am wanting to try and find a head unit with it built in so I can use it. I hate the minimal available radio stations on my usual commutes
Its definitely great to have XM. Switching to local stations, you realize how much commercials they have :twisted:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I found that the whole "No commercials on XM" thing was crap. XM stations have commercials too. But they're far more useless than the local radio ones. At least they advertise stuff you might be able to go do/see/want to buy.

I was only able to stomach so many boner pill commercials on XM before getting tired of it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Gian,

See post #6 above. Pages 5–6 of the 2003-04 Element trailer-hitch installation instructions show how to remove that rear interior panel.
Instead of removing the rear seats and the entire right side rear panel to disconnect the XM tuner, it is far easier to pull the radio from the dash and unplug it from the back of the radio. See this post instead, Post #3 Of course I never experienced the XM tuner interfering with Bluetooth, so I wonder how he came to that conclusion.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Hi <hillstones>. The "he" you refer to, the OP in this thread, would be <kimnjerry> who may well have concluded the XM unit was interfering with their Bluetooth unit because that information is widely circulated by SiriusXM Customer Service, although in the case of Sirius they often try to tell you it is the Bluetooth which is interfering with Sirius reception.

Whether this is true or not (as, I have come to believe, much information offered by Sirius about their reception may be fabricated), it is a regular diagnostic step. I know this from experience with the Sirius organization.

Now, expert friends, where is the XM unit located on the 2010 Element? I would like to disconnect mine and drive over it repeatedly.

Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
SIRIUS XM Came free with the vehicle for 3 months I had renewed it with everything they had. Last year got it to $125. That's enough. XM1, XM2 with full coverage was working then with I got to standard XM1 and XM2 all it did was saying updating. Then it played. I had to call them up to cancel the service. I am not using it and have iPod setup with enough playlist and songs I will use more. PCMICA 2GB SDHC card, CD player had AUX/USB/iPod.

So I've canceled the CC associated and changed banks with Sirius XM. Called up and told their supervisor and told him and those listening in with their recorders. I have cancelled the card associated with his service. I do not want the service again I don't need it. Then the guy was trying to offer me a much lower price. He even got down to $25 for 6 months. Nope because I don't want it and they have hidden fees.

Today I don't have it, but they don't listen still. I am still getting offers from them. I have to block them for good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts