Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll let the pics do most of the talking...:grin:

Check it out...

So I was the victim of my own irresponsible (or responsible, depending on how you look at it, haha) bidding on Ebay. I found myself the proud owner of an '04 EX AT with 74K for under Clean Retail. And the thing is Pristine. Sweet. The only problem was getting it home. The seller was a dealership in Akron, Ohio (Mike Pruitt Honda, can't say enough good about 'em) and I'm located in Southern (as in all the way at the bottom) Maryland. It's an 8+ hour hike up to Akron. The guys at MP Honda were good enough to meet me halfway in Breezewood, PA, about 230mi for both. A good 3.5hr drive. So the meet was scheduled for this past Saturday, and as of Friday night I couldn't find anyone that wanted to devote most of their Saturday to help me get the car. (My wife was not very pleased with my impulsive Ebay ways and wouldn't help either) *Update: she loves the car, and while still not happy that I didn't consult her on the purchase :| agrees that it's a nice addition to the family...*

It was my 7-year-old daughter who came up with the solution. "Daddy, why don't you ride your bike to get it and put your bike in the car?" Turns out she meant my BICYCLE, distances are sort of lost on 7-year-olds. But her suggestion got me thinking...

So, long story short, add one more thing to the Element's long list of achievements... YES, a full-size, 1000cc sportbike fits very nicely into a Honda Element. All it took was some creative thinking, 6 random guys from Penn State to help lift it in (many thanks guys) and a couple of tie-downs (Obviously the fold up rear seats as well as the AMAZING headroom helped greatly). Got it closed up tight and everything... Cruised back down the road at a very comfortable ~70mph, enjoying the *Excellent* stereo the whole way, and enjoying the shocked and tickled reactions I got from several Element owners I caught up with on the highway... "IS THAT A MOTORCYCLE IN THERE!!?" Why Yes, as a matter of fact it is...

Anyway, Great forum y'all. I look forward to spending some of the limited free time I have looking into all the ins and outs of my awesome new vehicle.
Thanks!
-Scott aka Backlahphoenix

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used to have an '05 (in "faster blue" w/ black engine) and an '07 FZ1 and would've never thought they'd fit. Nice one.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It works better if you put the front wheel in the cup holders. We picked up a 125cc scooter in the Twin Cities five hours away and loaded it diagonal with the passenger seat almost all the way forward. It was really uncomfortable, for my wife. So when we need to take the scooter in for service I just folded the mirrors and shoved it straight in between the front seats and shazam, we had plenty of room in both seats. Then we bought a trailer and we don't have to lift that 285 lb thing anymore thank god and my chiropractor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ramblerdan: Thanks! Yeah, I didn't have many options, so I just said screw it, I'll make it work somehow... It's nice to be pleasantly surprised sometimes...:grin:

elementbyron: I thought about putting the front wheel on the cupholders, and actually started to, but it's a 450+ lb. bike, and the cupholders def didn't like all that weight... I would have been sad to kill my cupholders when I'd just taken possesion of the E and since I didn't have any passengers, putting the seat in fully locked forward position was the best option... oh, and my Fizzer hasn't had mirrors for about 4 years now, haha:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I put my KX 250 or my HONDA CBR 929 i me E all the time . I usuly let some of the air out of the tires ( re inflate with my handy dandy compresor that I plug into me 12v outlet) and put the bars down on the KX. they fit perfect.
It's nyce to see someone elce do it to nyce work..;-)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Backlash,
Yeah the cupholders were already chewed up in my E so it didn't really matter then.:oops:
Did you get help unloading the rocket when you got home or did it have to ride around with ya for a couple days?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Rambler, Ill get right on it8), we got a bit of cold weather and some snow but i need to move my R soon and ill take some pic's , I take my cup holder assembly out and cover the little opening with a piece of ply just watch your E brake handle

·
Registered
125 Posts
very interesting.

i have a 1999 Suzuki SV650 and I've been interested in whether or not it will fit in the back of my E. I store it (during the winter) about 2 hours away from where I live and plan on doing this next weekend. If I knew it fit I would totally try slipping it in the back of the E.

Did you have to compress the front forks? Ramps? Or did you guys just lift it in?

Anybody ever remove the front passenger seat?

I plan on buying & installing an OEM hitch in the spring so I don't have to deal with this issue every year..

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just deflate the tires and she fits perfect , if a 929 CBR RR fits and a 1000 Yamaha then you should have no prob. I keep my 929 about an hr from my house and I usually ride it but got lazy and now it's cold and it snowed so ill put it in the tramp. I use my aluminum ramps for loading both bikes. (CBR 929 RR and KX 250) of course only 1 at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had to remove the windscreen (6 plastic philips heads) and yeah, now that I think about it, I did compress the front with a strap... I used a regular cinch strap and just shoved down, but I think a ratchet type would be the way to go...

On my way home I stopped in my favorite bike shop in my area (www.clintoncycles.com) and picked up a ramp for a pretty good deal... I unloaded it by myself with no probs...

I have a pic from closer up, but my wife commented on how dirty the bike was, so you guys get the scene shot, haha

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow! That looks tight.

When I first bought my E I measured my SV and it seemed like it would be a REALLY tight squeeze even with the front seat up / tilted forward.

I measured the overall height of the bike from the highest point (brake fluid resevoir mounted on the bars). From what I can remember it was 2-3 inches taller than the opening on the Element. With the approach angle of a ramp, I figured I would have to REALLY compress the front forks to get it in right. Needless to say this is something I would do myself...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just deflate the tires and she fits perfect , if a 929 CBR RR fits and a 1000 Yamaha then you should have no prob. I keep my 929 about an hr from my house and I usually ride it but got lazy and now it's cold and it snowed so ill put it in the tramp. I use my aluminum ramps for loading both bikes. (CBR 929 RR and KX 250) of course only 1 at a time.
Do you have a picture of your KX250 in the E? Do you need to remove or loosen the bars to get it in?

·
Registered
83 Posts
have you posted this on the forums over at the FZ1OA yet? I bet most of those guys would be surprised to see that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Lok47, I loosen and lower the bars and she fits in with a bit of wigle work and some fancy ratcheting :roll:. I have a pic and will try to dig it up and post it, if not I hafe to move both bikes this weekend and ill document both trips..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Call me a weakling, but there's no way I could push my KLX250 up that ramp by myself without damaging something. Don't see how you'd motor it up either, seeing as how you can't reach throttle/brake very well, and you can't ride it because of the lift gate.

Am I the only one who has a problem with this??? :?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The KX I just push up the ramp's But the 929 RR I need 1 or 2 other people to help . I have no problem with the KX ..Just TAKE YOU'R TIME AND BE CARFULL...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts