Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many MANY of posts about the hitch possibilities, but thought I'd post some numbers for you brilliant people to tell me if it's possible. The guy at the RV place said it would be ok, so long as I installed an additional brake system. I don't believe him. It's a '96 Coleman Key West.....here are the specs.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), (lbs.) 2,155
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW), 1968 lbs
Unloaded Tongue Weight (UTW), 187 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC), 845 lbs

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well, the answer to your question is yes, you can buy it...

You will be stressing the automatic transmission in my opinion. You would need brakes on the trailer to be sure you can stop. It is a lot of wear and tear on a vehicle but the E can physically tow that.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Can you tow that ?? Yes you can ! Is it more than the Element can handle? In a Word, Yes. Do we have members that have towed that much weight ? Again, Yes.

One thing to keep in mind, is , That is without all your camping gear. Add several hundred pounds to that. I have figured out that we have just over 300 pounds of stuff that we take with us camping. Lights, chairs, cooking stuff, and the like all add up fast. We have made a concerted effort to obtain the lightest item in each category. Still, It adds up fast.

Would I tow that much weight ? No ! Not for an extended trip. For a short run, I have. It's not what I would recommend.

Dom

·
Registered
543 Posts
...thought I'd post some numbers for you brilliant people to tell me if it's possible...
Its possible to tow an airplane with a bicycle, but ill advised. I'd also suggest you do some of your own research. Its important. See below.

The guy at the RV place said it would be ok, .... I don't believe him.
Hold that last thought...... its important!

It's a '96 Coleman Key West.....here are the specs.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), (lbs.) 2,155
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW), 1968 lbs
Unloaded Tongue Weight (UTW), 187 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC), 845 lbs

What do you guys think?
I think the salesman wants to sell you a trailer. I think you got these specs from the salesman. I think there's a problem with the specs.

I read your post and something didn't sit right. Did you notice how big that thing is? Its longer than your E! Did you notice that the cargo capacity of the trailer is supposed to be 845lb, but the difference between empty and gross is precisely 187lb, which is supposedly the tongue weight? Did any of that strike you as a bit hinky?

1.5 minutes of my own internet checking came up with these numbers for the '96 Coleman Key West:

GVWR - 2800 lbs
UVW - 2129 lbs (unloaded vehicle weight)
Cargo capacity - 671 lbs
Box size - 14 feet
Open size - 25 feet 9 inches
Closed size - 19 feet

The Key West is a big box, and it will be a heavy tow. That unit will easily be 2600lb plus ready to camp, and that doesn't consider the 400-500lb of people and stuff you'll have in the E. If the trailer has functional brakes, and if you install a transmission cooler, and if you do most of your camping close to home travelling over flat terrain, the E will do it ... but the E will age quickly.

Perhaps Tim Vance will chime in. He has some experience with a heavy popup.

Sorry, that's just my evaluation

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So....if I'm reading this right, you guys are telling me it's not a good idea ;) lol I'm sorry, i'm guilty of not spending some time and doing a little of my own research. The camping will be just short half hour trips just outside of town. After reading all of your comments, I think it's pretty obvious that the trailer should not be hauled by the element. Perhaps I'll sell the element and get a ridgeline!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Really, you should just refer to your owner's manual if you want an official answer to the quesiton - "Can you tow this trailer?"

Per Honda, the max towing capacity for the Element is 1500 LBS, the max tongue weight is 150 LBS, and any trailer over 1000 LBS needs to be equipped with brakes. This trailer exceeds all of these limits.

Now, have people used the E to tow trailers that exceeded these requirements? I'm sure they have. But keep in mind that by going beyond the stated capacity limits, you're going to be overstressing the transmission and brakes. It would also likely void your vehicle warranty and is potentially dangerous because of the effect on vehicle handling (braking, steering, & accelerating).

For short 30 minute trips to a campsite, you'd probably be OK. Just drive a little slower than normal. But I certainly wouldn't want to tow something that large for long trips or up large hills. Perhaps the owner of the camper will let you hitch it up and take it for a test drive so you can see for yourself.

sm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts