Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in purchasing an Element and have done extensive on-line research, scouring the boards and reading every review/road test I could find. The problem: Paralysis by Analysis! See, I love the Element, but there appears to be a growing list of problems/concerns:

Windshield Cracks
Window Leaks
Dash Rattle
Flimsy Spare Tire Cover (only supports 65 lbs.???)
Scratched (“scratch resistant”) Panels
In Dash CD Skips
Low Load Capacity (only 675 lbs. for passengers and cargo???)
Cracked Fog Lights...

I am wondering what Element Owners and or Dealers have to say. Are these isolated or common issues? Would you go for it now or holdout for the 2004 models?

Thanks!
:?

·
Registered
155 Posts
So far (1800 miles) my E has an intermittent rattle from the dash/driver-side A pillar, which occurs only when the vehicle is cold, and leaky windows in both rear doors. No sign of windshield cracks, no skipping CDs, no scratches in the paneling... but I must say it would take a whole lot of aggravation before it detracted from the fun of owning one.

Reports seem to indicate that the E performs well with loads above 675lbs, and I can't imagine how it could realistically have a load limit that low anyway. As to faults - if you buy from a dealership that is responsive and competent any problems will be resolved without fuss.

In the end, whether you should wait for the 2004 model depends on what you want. Personally I doubt you'll find a vehcile that is certain to be without defect or problems however long you wait and as time goes by, dealers will be getting more and more familiar with servicing and repair issues anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have put over 3000 miles on my Ex 4wd since I picked it up in late February this year and I have had only one problem with it...the front 12v power outlet was too tight inside and I got my cell phone charger stuck in it. The dealer replaced it and I have not had any other problems.

My Ex runs great, has plenty of power, all the windows and doors seal very good and the Real-Time 4WD works flawlessly. I've driven it on icy roads, rain slick roads, and beach sand...it never falters and always feels very stable.

If you are worried about buying one, buy something else or wait for next year's model if you are worried about the first run vehicles. But I bet that if you look at any of the other Internet forums on other brands, you will find similar complaints, regardless of the brand. Modern vehicles are mass produced and there will alway be a small percentage of vehicles that have problems of some sort.

Honda has alway produced a very fine vehicle and has a very high customer satisfaction and return buyer ratio. But it's your money and your decision.

Good luck with your decision making.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wouldn't worry. It is a small percentage of these actual owners that are getting these problems. I have had my E for only three weeks but I have not had a major problem. I have the rocking chair issue but I don't even notice any more.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also would say not to worry. I have 2000K on my Element now and I have not had one problem. I love the car. Those that are reporting problems on this site are far below 1% and again any good dealer should take care of it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My recommendation is to go with your gut instinct. If you are afraid that you'll encounter significant issues, then your radar will always be looking for problems and you'll have a tough time relaxing and enjoying the Element. If you can take a look at the overall tone of this board, which is extremely positive, and feel like you are making a good, well-informed decision to purchase, then go for it.

This is the fourth 'first year' vehicle I have owned (MR2, Accord, BMW 330CiC being the others) and the second 'first year all new model', the other being the '86 MR2. Yes, there are risks to being an early adopter. But I have found that companies such as Honda and Toyota are very eager to receive feedback and quickly work to correct issues that occur. Of course, there are caveats; some service departments are more responsive than others, your mileage may vary, etc. blah blah...

The bottom line is, you need to decide for yourself whether you can pull the trigger on the purchase and take what comes without revisiting the decision with regret the first time an issue pops up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to thank all of you for your time and thoughts. I am still "on the fence" but think I may go for it! My only (major) concern is the low load capacity. When I contacted Honda about it, they confirmed the number (675 lbs.), but could not tell me why it was so low. :?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Panama, do not be confused. This is one terrific car!! I owned a 1993 Toyota Corolla DX that I was a very functional car. I have never owned a car that I was in love with until I bought my Element. I have the Shoreline Mist EX 4 WD and absolutely love it. I washed it last weekend with a high pressure hose and no leaks. The 12 volt works great with my husband's Ibook and he plugs his Itunes into the auxiliary plug...great stereo and it makes the trip go by so much faster. I haven't let him drive yet on trips because it is SO much fun to drive. Best car I have ever owned! I have not had any problems..no leaks, no wind noise, and no rocking seat. :lol:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have owned my E for a little over two weeks and have experienced none of the listed problems. I know things will come up over time (as they do with every car I have ever owned)....but due to this being the first model year we purchased the extended warranty to be on the safe side.

My advice to you is to make sure the Element is right for you. I love the Element....it is everything that I wanted in an automobile. Even after I did three weeks of research and discovered some of the "problems" that E owners were experiencing....all the good out weighed the bad in my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with StLouisPenguin on this one. If it's what you like visually, if it's what will suit your needs and if you like it overall...buy it!

I did research also for quite awhile before jumping, but, all in all....I kept coming BACK to the Element time and time again.

Infact, after a months wait for my SOP EX AWD, I took delivery this afternoon. :D And omg....it's better than I imagined! And my parents even liked it. Can you IMAGINE!

Angie :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
>Infact, after a months wait for my SOP EX AWD, I took delivery this afternoon.

What does "SOP" stand for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did a ton of research, finally narrowing my choices down to the "E", the Toyota Rav4, and the Subaru Forrester. The "E" won out for various reasons, Honda quality (it's based on the proven CRV), versatility (the fold up/removable rear seats) and the ease with which it cleans up (no dank, dirty carpeting and cloth seats). I've only had one problem, and that was a faulty oil pressure switch. But no vehicle is without it's problems. But Honda, Subaru, and Toyota have a lot more vehicles recommended by Consumer Reports than any other manufacturer. My own experience had been 26 years of car misery before I bought my Element back in February. I'm very happy with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts