Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm considering buying a element so i can transport my wheelchair bound mom.i want to do any converting needed myself.any feedback appreciated

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
More info needed. Do you want her to stay in a wheelchair during travel or can she transfer to the seat? I do this all of the time and the only problem we ever run in to is needing a low (4") stool outside to help getting in. Those exercise platforms sold for stepping are ideal by the way. Once in, the chair either goes in back or behind the front seats or on a hitch mounted bike rack on the rear, depending on the need of the moment.

I've already had two hospitals ask me to bring my E in for various people to examine because they think it has a lot of what they want for this kind of work. They absolutely LOVE the doors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. right now she is non weight bearing and will be confined to the wheelchair for several months. i was thinking of getting the proper size ramp,hooking it on to the back fold down door (somehow) and pushing her up. my only concern is the height and lenght of the incline and the height of the back door opening.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I think that the conversions take out the passenger front seat and add a false front floor. The ramp is easier out the side than the back. What I'm concerned about is the headroom if she has to stay in the wheelchair.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I worked with someone previously who was looking at doing this type of thing. The biggest problem you'll run into with the ramp from the back is headroom after you get her rolled up. For length, you'll need at least 8' of ramp from the back gate to be comfortable, more like 10-12' for an easy incline.

FWIW the X-Wave does it out the side door and they actually lower the entire floor in the front to make space for headroom and less ramp incline.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
510 Posts
Honestly... for those who must be in a wheelchair all the time... a mini-van is probably your best bet.

I know the element is way awesomer (yes i used awesomer) but in reality... more products are manufactured for mini van wheelchair accessability and it is easier due to the remote open large cargo doors. The mini van platform simply leds itself better to these purposes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
there are quite a few people that use use wheel chairs and drive the element.
i think the ones i knew about had the drivers seat removed and they drove from the wheelchair, there is a mod to lock it down.
i believe the floor was lowered to make the necessary room, so not a diy job.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
there are quite a few people that use use wheel chairs and drive the element.
i think the ones i knew about had the drivers seat removed and they drove from the wheelchair, there is a mod to lock it down.
i believe the floor was lowered to make the necessary room, so not a diy job.
That's the X-Wave which is a commercial product and requires a LOT of labor and re-engineering to complete. That being said, it's a very neat product! I've seen one in person and it's extremely cool!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
730 Posts
My wife was non-weight bearing a couple months ago after hip surgery. She was able to transition in and out of the E's passenger seat with out any problem with the help of the "Oh S***" handle. :roll: When she stands on the good leg she is able to pivot over no problem because the seat in the E is at the same level as her butt. The wheelchair that she has folds up nice and neat and the wheels come off too so all I have to do is load it up in the back behind the rear seats. Heck, sometimes I'm lazy and just stick it in there folded up with the wheels on and it still has room back there.

Hope that helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts