Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I filled the E up. The needle was two needle widths below empty. 73 km showing on trip B since the gas pump light came on.
Total gas I squeezed in was 54.01 ltrs with 611.8 km showing on trip A since last fillup

Total KM on one tank 611.8 km or 380.15 miles
Total Fuel squeezed in 54.01 ltrs or 11.88 gallons (canadian)
Miles Per Gallon=32

This was a hot week with the air mostly on. 3/4 highway driving.
The fill up before that I got 33 miles per gallon.
I just don't think I have ever broken the 600km mark before.

Is there only a 12 gallon tank in this thing?

·
Registered
894 Posts
It's supposed to be 60 litres. 33 mpg would be sweet. Is that an automatic or a 5spd?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an all wheel drive automatic.
So I only had 6 liters left in the tank lol.

I could have gone another 30 miles or so. I figure when that fuel light comes on you have about 100km reserve based on the above.

·
Registered
97 Posts
33 mpg! Isn't that an "imperial" gallon in Canada? Which I believe is a bit larger than a US gallon. My best mileage has been 26 miles per US gallon. I also have a 4WD automatic (EX model).

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I recall correctly, a while US pint is 16 oz, an imperial pint is 20 - thus 25% more. So if you could go 26miles on a US gallon, the same vehicle in the same conditions would cover 30.5 miles on a Canadian gallon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. That makes sense, since he asked if the E only holds 12 gallons. That would be 15 gallons US, which is close. It holds 15.9 I believe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote:da03d2fde8="E-Rich"]Cool. Thanks for the info. That makes sense, since he asked if the E only holds 12 gallons. That would be 15 gallons US, which is close. It holds 15.9 I believe.[/quote:da03d2fde8]

I said 'he', but I really don't know the gender of a 'pookster'. lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
What are you high milers running for tire pressure, how fast do you drive. I've squeaked 24-25mpg out of mine by keeping the revs below 3000 and doing 65mpgh on the highway vs. my regular 73-75... I just went to 34F/36R PSI, we'll see what that does.

Share your secrets!

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote:d5d059a151="sspiller"]What are you high milers running for tire pressure, how fast do you drive. I've squeaked 24-25mpg out of mine by keeping the revs below 3000 and doing 65mpgh on the highway vs. my regular 73-75... I just went to 34F/36R PSI, we'll see what that does.

Share your secrets![/quote:d5d059a151]

I drive like normal. 75+ on freeway. Tire pressure is whatever they put it at when I bought it. Looks pretty firm tho. Might be overpressured a little.

·
Registered
493 Posts
What is going on here??? These posts of unbelievable GOOD gas mileage compared to my really BAD gas mileage (even tho' I live in CA with it's smog restrictiveness, gas additives, my own short around town trips and short trips on freeway of 50 miles or so) make me wonder if Honda put TWO kinds of engines in their Element; one that gets great mileage and one that gets SUCK mileage. (The Caravan I had, had 2 different types of engines they used....A Chrysler that got good mileage and a Mitsubishi and got SUCK mileage). Maybe I need to go back to the 2001 CRV I had to get mileage I really appreciated!

GER

·
Registered
176 Posts
What are you getting for mileage? Seems like the 5spd revs about 500rpm more then the auto on the hwy at 75mph so you would get less... i'm trying to figure out how people get over 25mpg myself... best i got was 24mpg on my first two tanks with no 3000+rpm about 68mph on the hwy, not my normal driving style so maybe it is a "who cares", gas is not that expensive issue!

·
Registered
176 Posts
that does not sound out of whack with what others are getting if you step on it (which is fun and easy to do) or do short hops around town...

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is my opinion on bad gas mileages:

1) If you use a/c all of the time < i use it about 5% of my daily trips >

2) windows are down, gas mileage will be less because of the wind "drag"

3) a drivers weight < i'm about 185 but if you are heavier, their you go :D

4) If you have 2 or more passengers you drag around

5) If you have a lot of accessories < i have about 87 pounds on my E >

6) Have something heavy in the back trunk area all of the time.

Bottom line:

I drive 95% alone all of the time, I very rarely use a/c, my windows are slighty down when hot, my trunk area is empty..... i get about 25 to 26

or

If i drive 2 or more people, i use the a/c, i have tons of stuff in the trunk, then i get about 22 to 23

I am not a Rocket Scientist, but this is what I GET!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I originally back at the start of the year had a manual 2WD and got it (with the seats out and the back empty) up to 32 mpg (US). With it fully loaded for a long trip I still got 25 mpg. This was all relaxed driving on the highway with virtually no AC and a lot of cruise control for the loaded trip. I never went much at all over 65 and was in 5th gear almost the entire journey. Bay Area to San Luis Obispo to Palm Desert and then back.

I have the 4WD now, and I haven't checked mileage. I hope it is similar.

That 32 mpg was amazing!

·
Registered
914 Posts
[quote:d900251773="Element"]This is my opinion on bad gas mileages:

Bottom line:

I drive 95% alone all of the time, I very rarely use a/c, my windows are slighty down when hot, my trunk area is empty..... i get about 25 to 26

or

If i drive 2 or more people, i use the a/c, i have tons of stuff in the trunk, then i get about 22 to 23

I am not a Rocket Scientist, but this is what I GET![/quote:d900251773]

I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist, that is exactly what I thought. On a good tank i get 25-26, but if I do meet your criteria most of the time, the mileage isn't as great, but still above 20.

SO, did anyone figure out how much mpg the original poster was getting in US mpg? Sorry if someone did...

*edit*
I think I figured it out. Someone posted that the canadian gallon was 25% more than the US, so if the poster got 32 mpcg, then with a little calculation, i got somewhere around 25.6 mpusg. The way I calculated it might be wrong, but comes to a pretty good conclusion, so I'll go with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
[quote:cef4a9657c="Element"]This is my opinion on bad gas mileages:

Bottom line:

or

I am not a Rocket Scientist, but this is what I GET![/quote:cef4a9657c]

Wind resistance is also an issue. A CR-V should be able to get 2+ more MPG than an Element at highway speeds due to aerodynamics alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heres the scoop-i have filled my tank up a twice (a 2wd ex auto) now at ARCO -each time filling the tank until it spilled (this takes a while because the gas pump automatic shut off requires that i squirt about .1 a gallon at a time towards the end). I have an extra gallon in a spare can in the car so i have not been afraid to run on the yellow light a very long time (about 60 miles). I dont know what to make of it, but according to the number of gallons on the gas pump i was able to fill the tank with 16.9 gallons. This indicates that ARCO is ripping me off or that the tank is able to hold more than 15.9 gallons. In any case I was able to run 420 miles on one tank. If i was to use 15.9 as the number of gallons used I would be getting 26.4 miles per gallon-if i were to use 16.9 gallons used I would be getting 24.8. To get these figures I havent been running the car over 60 on the freeway and its been about 10% city driving-so either figure isnt to bad. I will be trying to test out the "real" capacity of the gas tank at a non ARCO station next. After I get some more optimal MPG figures at 60MPG I will then replace the oil with the 0 weight synthetic oil. If I can break 28mpg, I will let you know.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:751193c664="wardas00"]each time filling the tank until it spilled (this takes a while because the gas pump automatic shut off requires that i squirt about .1 a gallon at a time towards the end)...but according to the number of gallons on the gas pump i was able to fill the tank with 16.9 gallons....If I can break 28mpg, I will let you know.[/quote:751193c664]

The tank capacity likely excludes the intake tube, so I am not surprised that you can get an extra gallon or so on the gas pump (including your spillage <grin>).

If you break 28mpg, you'll be getting about twice what I get in all-short-run city miles.

-brendan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts