Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know something a lil' personal....what did you pay for your EX 4WD Automatic Element???

The sticker price at the dealer is 21,625 (I think it has floormats and mudflaps already added) The sales man said that we can have it for $700 off that price bringing it to 20,925.....are we being taken for a ride? or is this about right?

Anybody get a lower price? How'd ya do it???

Please advise....we are buying our first new car....and neither my husband or myself have experience in this area.

Thanks a Bunch!
Diane

PS Are there any other St. Louis Metro Area E owners out there? If so, where did you buy??

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I bought my S2000 last November, no KC dealers would come down. So I bought it for $3k off sticker in Chicago. Let's see...a $58 flight saved me about three grand. :D

Go to http://www.s2ki.com and search for Chicago dealers and you should get a wealth of info.

And remember -- this should be a FUN experience, so don't take any crap from anybody. There ARE good dealers out there. Good luck!

Steve

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice....I am actually already on the path to getting some price quotes from Chicago....My Brother and his wife live in the Northern Burbs and are loyal Honda and Acura owners, so I am getting a price quote from their dealer....I figured what can it hurt....plus I will be there in a few weeks for Easter :eek:

I saw you are from KC....MO or KS side? If the MO side how does it work in MO if you buy a car in another state yet are a resident in MO? With the dreaded personal property tax and such.

Thanks for the advice!
Diane

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just purchased a silver EX for $20,800. It was from the local dealer who has always seemed very fair and easy to work with. This car buying ritual gets really old to me, so I don't worry about a few dollars either way. The car will be delivered sometime in May. And I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i got a 2wd ex manual for $17950....i just emailed a ton of dealers....my cousin runs a dealership, and couldnt beat the price...my point : dont give up until you are 100% comfortable with your price...some dealers will straight up lie to you

·
Registered
74 Posts
At one point in time there was a dealer in these forum promising anyone from this site a fairly decent discount. The dealer was located in Chicago. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have seen everything from $1000 or $2000 over to $1000 under retail posted. Seems it depends on what part to the country you are in. I find it's always good if you can develop a good relationship with your local dealer. For me it's not just the purchase of the vehicle but what happens after I make the purchase. I would rather pay a few hundred more for it from the local dealer as long as I feel they are treating me right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid $20,222 for my GG Element 4WD EX. I had quotes above, at, and just below MSRP before I got a dealer to come down this far. Emailing dealers and asking for quotes seemed to work best. Once I had the quote from one dealer, the rest were willing to match it.

I don't think you're doing too bad at $700 below sticker, just keep in mind that you could probably get the floor mats and mud flaps cheaper through a number of websites.....and thats if you want those items. It looks like he's charging you $325 for those items...thats probably full price, maybe with an installation fee included on top of that. . I'd tell him that you want one without the accessories for at least $700 below sticker (that'll put you at $20,600). Then if you want the floor mats and the splash guards you can buy them yourself for around $200. That'll save you another $100 (after shipping). I'm sure you can find somebody in these forums who has installed the splash guards themselves.

How did the PeopleFirst work out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Out here in the Seattle area, I am struggling to find a good price....best so far is $21,420 with slash guards. That was in eastern washing too!...so I would have to drive 3 hours. Local want up to 2K more!

I will search some more though..BG

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you want a great deal, go to Grand Honda in Elmhurst, ILL and ask for Amit Valera. Tell him Joe and Carina sent you. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Diane, for Chi: you might try Carr's Honda...that's where I bought my S. Russell is the guy to talk to. Tell him I sent you. (Supposedly there's a 50 in it for me that way, lol.) You might also try Kim Tornabeni at Honda of Joliet - she is super nice and has posted on these boards before. Let me also throw in O'Neill Honda in KC. I just had my S serviced for the first time there and whoa, was blown away. So I'm thinking this is top-down and O'Neill's sales side must be equally good. I'm defiinitely gonna give them a shot if/when I get my E.

For sales tax, I am a KS resident so in Chi you just pay a driveaway fee of $10 and whatever doc fee dealer charges. Then you drive off happy and pay sales tax in MO. Or KS. Just make sure you tell your dealer that, too, if you buy out of state. And sometimes it's better to trade in a car -- you pay less sales tax that way; you wouldn't pay on 21k or whatever, but on 21k MINUS your trade-in. You'd have to weigh the hassle/retail value of selling yourself vs. tax savings on a lesser-valued trade for it to work for you. Then it gets more complicated because you must wait 'til you get there w/ the car to see what they'll REALLY give you.

Most definitely do PM me on what you find out, please!!! :D And good luck!
Steve

[quote:ccd8374e56="StLouisPenguin"]Thanks for the advice....If the MO side how does it work in MO if you buy a car in another state yet are a resident in MO? With the dreaded personal property tax and such.

Thanks for the advice!
Diane[/quote:ccd8374e56]

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay....I bought my Element tonight....I opted for one that they hadn't installed the carpets or mud flaps so the sticker was 21310...then they took 700 off of that so I paid 20610....I am very happy....I tried the email route and got tons of quotes and no one could beat the dealer that I was working with already....so I feel comfortable with the price and the dealership...plus I am confident in the service I will receive after the sale.

As far as People First went it was a no go....my dealer wouldn't even accept the certified check...they said that they had too many problems when dealing with People First in the past....we did find one Honda Dealership in the St. Louis area (out of 6 dealerships) that would take the People First Check....but they wanted $2000 more for the Element....rip off!!!

But we talked to our saleman and finace guy at the dealership and he found us a loan through a local St. Louis Bank (not Honda Credit) at a full 1% lower than our People First Loan....so I can't compalin!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
Diane :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Be very happy. Here in Portland they are asking $2995 plus in dealer ripoff -- excuse me, "dealer markup." I got mine at one of two dealers I found who were asking MSRP and went with the one who could deliver a 4WD GG EX fastest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mmathews, I am kind of interested in where you went and what you paid. I have been to three Honda dealerships in Portland. One ::cough:: had $3,000 mark ups, one had bad prices, bad selection, the other had decent prices but wouldn't budge less than slightly more than what hondacars.com says is the MSRP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From the postings, it looks like people in the Washington/Oregon area are still having a tough time finding an Element for under MSRP.

I was interested in an Element back about a month and a half ago. I had the same problem: all of the dealers the Seattle area wanted up to $1500 above MSRP, which is insane. I called around and ended up making a deposit on one at Honda of Spokane. I just picked up mine (4WD EX Shoreline Mist) last week. I paid $21,290 (including destination fees). My girlfriend and I decided to make a weekend out of it. We took HWY 2 and stopped at Leavenworth. The tickets were $87 a piece on SW Airline. The drive was about 5 hours.

If you live in the Seattle area, getting one in Spokane is definitely an option. If you are in Oregon, you may have some problems with vehicle registration, which you may want to look into. Also, Washington does have a sale tax (around 8 percent).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I'm interested in hearing anything about decent portland area honda dealers. I've just started to look, and will post with my findings over the next week or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts