Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever rolled up to a traffic light being first in line that was hanging from an overhead wire and noticed that one has to lean forward and hang on to the steering wheel while looking up from this position just to see the traffic light till the light changes? Due to the truckish upright angle windscreen our Es have it is a bit difficult, has anyone figured out a way to simplify this situation like a mirror on the dash or a “red light” camera, perhaps? :roll:

·
Registered
895 Posts
I usually just look at lower light that us usually on the light post by the crossing light.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
RamblerDan's site (it's in his signature) will give you an idea of the best placement and what they look like in an Element. I'm happy to say, checking there was what led me to buy my own.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I drive 40 miles to work and the only light I see is a blinking yellow and red one to remind you to stop at one of the three stop signs I go past and they only put that in after someone ran into and flipped a bus full of disabled people when they ran the sign in an old caddie.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I watch the pedestrian crossing light. It turns to "walk" at the same time the signal above turns green.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If I don't want to lean up, I try to catch a reflection off of the car next to me or just wait for the car behind me to start with the horn. Usually 0.00001 sec after it turns green.
se

·
Registered
324 Posts
Light In Sight is the best way to go. Have had mine for over a year now and it makes a HUGE difference. No more crinking my neck to see the light!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah.....SIMPLE....I dont stop so I cant see the light! Too many idiots could clip the front of your car while turning, pedestrians could knock into you....when I started driving eons ago I always just left plenty of room...now its a habit.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Yeah.....SIMPLE....I dont stop so I cant see the light! Too many idiots could clip the front of your car while turning, pedestrians could knock into you....when I started driving eons ago I always just left plenty of room...now its a habit.
It sounds like that technique works great for you,but some traffic lights have those magnetic induction loops buried in the asphalt and if you don't pull up quite far enough,your vehicle won't trigger the traffic light sensor,then you'll usually end up waiting longer for the light to change.I've noticed this happen while waiting at familiar traffic lights,behind vehicles that are just back a little bit too far from the stop line.:|

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That's what they use on 75% of the lights around here.

It's a wide angle Fresnel lens. I can darn near be under a light and it still shows up on the lens. At only $17.50 for one and $16 for 2 or more you could set up a group buy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll second (or third or fourth or...) the comments about Light In Sight.
No more sore neck for me. I have had 100% success seeing every light now that I have one on my window.

As far as where to put it, there is really only one place. It's right at the top, slightly left of your line of sight. That's where the top area is cleared by the windshield wiper. The area to the right of line of sight is not. I live where there is snow, so that is an important consideration.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Very cool! I am going to look into this as this always happens at the same light when dropping my son off at school in the AM.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Anyone ever rolled up to a traffic light being first in line that was hanging from an overhead wire and noticed that one has to lean forward and hang on to the steering wheel while looking up from this position just to see the traffic light till the light changes? Due to the truckish upright angle windscreen our Es have it is a bit difficult, has anyone figured out a way to simplify this situation like a mirror on the dash or a “red light” camera, perhaps? :roll:
Hanging traffic lights are positioned on the absurd assumption that drivers will stop before entering intersections, which is an obvious waste of precious driving time. When someone is rollin', rollin', rollin' up to a light instead of stopping behind the stop line, it's VERY difficult to see a hanging light, harder still to do it when they are busy trying to jackrabbit off the starting line, hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life.

Unfortunately, the Element lacks a front moon roof to address this driver problem. Speaking as computer professional, my first thought would be to upgrade the drivers, but I understand that upgrading drivers is a tedious and unrewarding activity, so here's a work-around.

Since the existing drivers are unable to stop the vehicle completely behind the line at intersections, install a downward facing video camera that allows the operator to watch the stop line as the vehicle is backed out of the intersection, and a dashboard mirror aimed upward to help the operator see the bottom of the hanging traffic light. :lol:

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Where I live, there are plenty of intersections where I can be stopped short of the stop line, yet still not see the stoplight in my standard seated position. It tends to be worse for me, because I have a long torso, keep the seat all the way back (+2" beyond stock), and have the seat bottom raised to its full height. A "normal" person might not have this problem, depending on seat adjustment preferences.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts