Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I've now made a few posts here and there on the forum. have been poking around a bit, and have a couple questions.

1. I live in Victoria, BC. H and A will not ship to canada. this sucks, because the one specific part I'm looking for (spoiler for my 08 SC RBM) is half price from them. What are my best options for getting ahold of parts like this? What about a grille kit?

2. IF I get a billet grille kit (top and bottom), what kind of install am I looking at? Do any of them NOT require me to cut my stock grille up? or are they a 'pull out one part, install a replacement' type?

3. Headlights. I am considering upgrading my headlights to a Xenon type (for the low beams) and am curious what my best option is for that. I've read a few posts, and it looks like the setup that physically moves the bulb in and out is the best for the NON sc, but I have seperate bulbs for hi and low.

Any advice you guys can provide would be VERY much appreciated. So far, I'm LOVING my E. It seems that most people who drive them feel about the same way.

Last weekend, I disabled the auto-AC on the defrost, and seems to have made a noticable difference in performance and fuel economy, but I haven't filled the tank yet. will see on the next few tanks.

I'll be de-badging this weekend, and will be taking photos of the results, if anyone is interested. looks like we've got some good weather that will be carrying through.

Thanks for the advice/help, guys!

·
Registered
188 Posts
A friend of mine maintains a relationship with a firm in Buffalo NY called something like " American Address " , it is a shipping portal where you can register and have packages shipped to the nearest crossing for you and pick them up there for a small fee , better than Brokerage fees or the exorbitant additional mail fees , he ships / buys a fair bit , check out the closest US town to you , there may be this service there , and H/A will ship the spoiler there at minimum.

·
12,179 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
On a tangent regarding spoiler

Hey, has anyone thought of buying those nicely priced H&A spoilers in gray and repainting to your color of preference?

I want to go with matching roofline BLACK with my TRP. So, I'm ordering NMG and will prep and repaint myself.

Normally, I wouldn't touch an 'auto paint job' because I have no spray booth, etc. BUT, I want to match color and TEXTURE of the black roof trim plastic.

I have had good luck with these textured spray paint products from Rustoleum. In this case, I'm going to use the lightly textured satin black. I've tried it on another project (taillight trim rings for the E) and noted how closely the spray matched in texture and color and level of gloss.

I'll post a picture of the trim rings and the paint can when I can. And down the road, same for the spoiler.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The solution to your shipping problem is to get an American wife. I get all my parts shipped to her Mom's place in NJ from NYState then just pick them up when we visit. This solution also comes with a high price in other areas. I've compared Canadian prices to US and you are right. Alot of parts are double the price in Canada.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went into my dealership today, and showed them the craigslist posting from middlegate in burnaby. long story short, I have the spoiler (paint matched) and the SC headlight kit as well as a touch-up pen coming from burnaby. they will be here tomorrow or thursday.

spoiler was $220 and fogs 225. should be installing the spoiler this weekend.. and of course, will be documenting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered parts from www.jayhonda.com in Ohio and they ship to Canada and accept Canadian credit cards (although I shipped to TSB Shipping in Point Roberts WA because shipping is cheaper).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
just rem several things....

1..... u get dinged by Custom broker fees which is collected upon delivery (COD), and it could range from $60-100+

2..... pending on cost they may charge u GST + PST on ur items by converting USD into CAD.

i learnt it first hand when i bought my stuff from College Hills Honda in the US and shipped it to Canada.....now with promos, sometimes its better to find lizzurd in TO and get them for me!

·
Registered
23 Posts
just rem several things....

1..... u get dinged by Custom broker fees which is collected upon delivery (COD), and it could range from $60-100+

2..... pending on cost they may charge u GST + PST on ur items by converting USD into CAD.

i learnt it first hand when i bought my stuff from College Hills Honda in the US and shipped it to Canada.....now with promos, sometimes its better to find lizzurd in TO and get them for me!
After buying online from the States, having the items shipped to a P.O Box just across the border from Canada, driving down to retrieve the items, and crossing the border with them, I still managed to save approximately $100 when I bought my all season floor mats, cargo organizer, and console dividers. It's nice living 20 minutes away from the border sometimes.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I know what u mean.. I used to study in buffalo n lived in toronto and saved so much in shopping that perhaps it was financially worthwhile on my education

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I ordered my grilles from UpYourRide.com and when the lady emailed me about the fact it's being shipped international, quoted me a $49 shipping charge for USPS standard international parcel. I checked the USPS website and a 10lb package would only cost $27. I emailed back saying that $49 was odd, seing that the shipping fee was only 27, she came back with a counter, saying they could split the difference, at 38.

Moral of the story, I saved myself $11usd just by calling them on the raping, and next time you have to order something cross border, ask them why it's so high, and quote the actual shipping cost, they may cut you a break.

Now, if only I could get an actual status update. I recieved an email with a tracking number on the 2nd, and a status that they'd recieved electronic notification that they were recieving a package, but since then nothing. Not even confirmation that the package ever made it to USPS, let alone where it is. Way to track. :-( now I understand that usps standard parcel is 10-14 days... but without a single status update?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Well, I ordered my grilles from UpYourRide.com and when the lady emailed me about the fact it's being shipped international, quoted me a $49 shipping charge for USPS standard international parcel. I checked the USPS website and a 10lb package would only cost $27. I emailed back saying that $49 was odd, seing that the shipping fee was only 27, she came back with a counter, saying they could split the difference, at 38.

Moral of the story, I saved myself $11usd just by calling them on the raping, and next time you have to order something cross border, ask them why it's so high, and quote the actual shipping cost, they may cut you a break.

Now, if only I could get an actual status update. I recieved an email with a tracking number on the 2nd, and a status that they'd recieved electronic notification that they were recieving a package, but since then nothing. Not even confirmation that the package ever made it to USPS, let alone where it is. Way to track. :-( now I understand that usps standard parcel is 10-14 days... but without a single status update?
U tried canada post? The tracking number with the postal services should be universial so ur usps might be able to track with canada post

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts

Tracking numbers with the USPS are usually worthless. Not sure why, lazy employees im guessing. I have had MANY packages shipped with USPS and their tracking system. Once in a rare while, I will see the packages exact route. Pick up point, main nor cal hub, my local post office. But I would say 99% of the time, I get either NOTHING, other than the notice you got, or I might get it left my local post office, which means I will get it that day. UPS and FedEx are WAY better at tracking packages.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Give cash to a friend in the US and then have him/her hold it until you cross the border.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts