Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoping someone here can help. I'm in Northern California and have been having a tough time finding my 1st Element. I've done my research and have settled on:

Silver
EX
2WD (may consider 4WD)
Navigation
Automatic

I've found a dealer in the area that quoted me a price I'm comfortable with, but now that I'm pushing for the exact color and configuration he's dragging his feet. I've checked with other dealers in the area and they assure me that I simply can't get a silver EX with navi anywhere. I assume they must be exaggerating but all of my web searches have been have come up empty (largely because no listings reference navi). The dealers have attributed the shortage to reduced production and the late stage of the model year. Sadly, I'm not really interested in waiting until the fall to get a 2010.

I'm not even that interested in having navigation (though I'm sure I'll like it being there), but I do like the iPod integration and freeing up the AUX jack for my portable Sirius unit (which I also use in home and garage). If you have any suggestions of after-market solutions please feel free to suggest those too.

I've seen some posts that reference non-local dealers that will drop-ship, but I'm having a hard time finding the specific posts referencing them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not sure how far is Citrus Heights from San Jose, but perhaps you can ask Trevor from H and A, perhaps he can do you a favor by checking their inventory for you. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When I was looking for my 09 EX AWD with Navi, I was very close to finalize an arrangement with South CA dealer near LAX to flight down there in the morning, have them pick me up from airport, complete the deal, & drive back the same day.
Virgin airline ticket cost between $50-$80 one way from SFO to LAX, if reserved online ahead of time, plus approx. another $50 for the gas return. It normally would be a good deal to flight down & drive back, since South CA in general has lower car price, sometime couple hundred dollars less than North CA.

Also none of local North CA dealer I talk to welling to trade with South CA dealer.

I did not do it because my local dealer was good enough to found the only EX AWD with Navi in CFM color in another dealer & I bought it, with same best South CA price I could get on the phone/email, from another SF Bay area dealer, after they refused to trade with my local dealer. My color choice at the moment was PMM, CFM, or CBP, in that order.

There is not a lot of EX with Navi, in any color, to choose from in North CA. I have been watching online occasionally through several online dealer's inventory. You may have to have 2nd or 3rd color choice, if you are not welling to wait for the color.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jazzy007,

I have recently been checking listings in SoCal, and have found the prices to be significantly higher than what I've seen in the Bay Area. I understand that I need to negotiate, but their starting point is a thousand or two higher.

At this point I think I'd be ready to compromise on the navi before I compromise on color. Still bums me out either way.

-Ryan

·
Registered
428 Posts
jazzy007,

I have recently been checking listings in SoCal, and have found the prices to be significantly higher than what I've seen in the Bay Area. I understand that I need to negotiate, but their starting point is a thousand or two higher.

I am surprised South CA is more expensive, that was not the case for the price I got in the email or on the phone in Feb 2009.
Are you comparing listing price on the web, or you actually got a price from internet manager or sales manager in email or on the phone?

Remember, just for EX, dealer could have different list price with no option, then dealer could also have different list price AFTER they added option.
Current list price w/o additional option:
EX 2WD w/o Navi:$23,095
EX 4WD w/o Navi:$24,295
EX 2WD w/ Navi:$24,795
EX 4WD w/ Navi:$25,995

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EX 2WD w/ Navi:$24,795
EX 4WD w/ Navi:$25,995
Yeah, I thought about that. The dealer I've been working with most has been all email and they coming in with about 22,500 for 2WD and almost 24 for 4WD.

I asked for confirmation on all additional fees and the out the door price only reflected Sales Tax, Doc Fee, Tire Fee, and DMV. No mention of other options or add-ons.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My local dealer internet manager was kind enough to teach me couple tips before I went to another dealer to negotiate my E in Feb, after another dealer's GM refused to trade with my local dealer.
Just sharing some knowledge from him.

1st, do not let dealer know you only want one color or only a specific level of option. Always let them know several color & options, or color is not the most important, then "change your mind" during negotiation, & guide them to the color & level you want, so they don't know your choice is limited. ;-)
2nd, look for car already in stock of that dealer, the longer the dealer already have that car, the better chance they will want to unload to you with lower price during this tough time.
3rd, if you looking for a car is hard to find locally, & want to get it outside of your local area. You should negotiate directly with remote dealer already has car in the lot on the phone. If you choose to ask your local dealer to trade for you, don't send out request for price with other dealers. You don't want to tip them off you are desperate for a car remotely. They might all contact the same remote dealer already has car for you, & this will allow that remote dealer with car in the lot feel like a lot of people is looking for the same car in his lot, which will make the trade more difficult.

Good luck on the negotiation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SUCCESS!!! The original dealer who had been dragging his feet was actually leaving me alone because he thought I was fed up dealing with them (I may have been a tad abrupt with one of his coworkers...but anyway :rolleyes:).

So I now have my E and am already thinking about things to work on. First project will be setting up my Sirius Sportster on the ledge in front of the Aux port. I've seen some very creative great attempts at running the antenna wiring within the dash, but I'd also like to run a wire for power that bypasses the on dash power (cleaner look, free for charging other devices when needed).

Any tips on obtaining direct power for the unit?

-Ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts