Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been lurking for a bit, and I've encountered my first problem. Mr. Husband and I recently purchased a new aftermarket stereo for our E, chatted with Crutchfield, made sure to get all the parts we needed, and started the install process.

However, even after trying for near an hour, we cannot get all of the internal parts to fit inside the dash of our E! I'm wondering if we even need the Scosche SLC4, as that is what's causing all the problems.

Item list:
- Pioneer FH-X720BT
- Metra 40-HD10 Antenna Adapter
- Metra 70-7863 Receiver Wiring Harness
- Scosche SLC4 Line Output Converter

- Retaining OEM amp
- Retaining OEM subwoofer

Our E is the 7-speaker model, and according to Crutchfield, "The Scosche SLC4 interface is needed with head units that have less than 3 sets of preamp outputs, and the Pioneer model in your cart only has two sets of preamp outputs, so you would need the SLC4 with it."

Any thoughts/ideas on how we can get these parts and wires to all fit properly behind the head unit inside the dash?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Maybe return that head unit for a refund and go for a head unit that has front/rear/sub pre outputs. If you're not wanting to do that and you're not concerned with being able to adjust the fader from front to rear, you could use a pair of rca Y adapters that have a single male on one end, and a pair of female ends on the other.
These.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45077_NVX-XIV2F.html

Doing this will allow you to split the signal from your head units front right and left channel rca outputs to the right and left front and rear inputs to use on your Metra 70-7863. Then you can change the settings on your head unit from rear to subwoofer operation only. Plug your rear/sub rca from the back of your head unit into the sub/rca connector from your Metra 70-7863 harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my delay! Here are my questions about this:

The Metra 70-7863 harness has 7 total RCA plugs (4 for speakers, 2 for sub, 1 for AUX), and the stereo has 4 RCA plugs. Even if I used Y-adapters for the speaker plugs, I would still have one plug left over that needed a place.

If I managed to do this and lost fader control, does that mean that the sound would just be coming out of rear and front equally, or would it be coming more out of one or the other? I basically just don't want one end to be muted, and overall I generally set my fader to 0 since most of the time I listen to podcasts.

I still want to be able to use the subwoofer though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, wait, I don't care about retaining the factory AUX input, since the stereo has its own!

I tried to make an image to illustrate all of my plugs and the ones on the stereo, and prolly got a bit carried away. I hope this makes sense:

If I got RCA Y adapters, where would the plugs then go? The manual for the stereo is not really helpful, as it assumes you're just splicing the speaker wires on the unit directly to the in-car speaker wires.

If this would work, would I just tape off the ends of the speaker wires coming out of the stereo unit?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my delay! Here are my questions about this:

The Metra 70-7863 harness has 7 total RCA plugs (4 for speakers, 2 for sub, 1 for AUX), and the stereo has 4 RCA plugs. Even if I used Y-adapters for the speaker plugs, I would still have one plug left over that needed a place.

If I managed to do this and lost fader control, does that mean that the sound would just be coming out of rear and front equally, or would it be coming more out of one or the other? I basically just don't want one end to be muted, and overall I generally set my fader to 0 since most of the time I listen to podcasts.

I still want to be able to use the subwoofer though!
You're welcome, let me try to explain things clearer for you. To get your front and rear speaker to work, you're only going to be using the front RCA outputs on your head unit, so to send a signal to your factory amplifier to drive the front and rear speakers you would use the RCA Y splitters I posted in that link. By doing this you are now able to send the same signal to the front and rear RCA's on your Metra 70-7863. You would take one Y splitter and plug each male end into the front RCA output, one on the right channel and the other on the left channel. Then you would have four female ended RCA's coming off your head unit that you would then plug into your front right/left and rear right/left. Now to get the subwoofer to work. Your head unit has an option to turn the rear RCA outputs into a subwoofer RCA output. To change your rear RCA's signal output into a subwoofer output you would have to access your head units setup menu. When it does this both RCA's will send a mono signal to the right and left channel, so you will only need one RCA to plug into that single subwoofer RCA that's on your Metra 70-7863 to get your factory subwoofer to work. As for the fader, since you're sending the same amount of signal to the front and rear they will play at the same volume. I don't want to complicate things more for you, but if a functioning fader is important to you, and you'd like me to I can tell you how you can go about getting your front and rear to work as if they have a fader.

If this would work, would I just tape off the ends of the speaker wires coming out of the stereo unit?
Yes, you can tape off the speaker wires coming out of the head unit, just don't tape them all together, tape the end of each speaker wire separately so they don't touch each other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got all the wires in nice and neat and everything is installed and working perfectly! Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts