Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true you can't lock the doors (from the outside) with the motor running? (In order to run it to defrost - I don't have a garage and don't want to leave it running and unlocked in my driveway.)

It seems to be the case from experiment plus the owners manual, but the owners manual is confusing.

If so there is a remote starter in my future. I emailed the dealer to see if I could get the key code (just bought a used 2008 EX - it came with 2 keys and a remote entry and there are numbers on the key tags but they are not Honda key tags so it could be the dealers inventory numbers).

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yeah, you can't lock it with the remote - guess it's a safety feature, to prevent you locking your keys in your car. But you CAN start the E, close the door, and then manually lock the door with the spare or valet key itself. Then you need to manually unlock it again when it's nice and toasty warm and you want to drive away.

Reminds me of a friend's story. His wife drove a MINI Cooper. Her remote died when she was at work, had worked late on a project, near midnight in an empty parking garage, and she was frantic - husband out of town. She was getting ready to bust a window, when a security guard came by, and asked her why she didn't just use her key to get in. :grin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:oops: Whoops - I could have sworn I tried that but I must not have because I just went out and sure enough it works!

I thought I tried all combinations of keys, remotes, latches (with door handle held open) etc. I guess I forgot to try the simplest thing.

It will lock with the button or latch if you hold the door handle open - but then as soon as you close the door it unlocks. It does seem almost impossible to lock your keys in the car - which is a good thing!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Doors locked with E running

I did a search but didn't find anything. Has anyone figured out a way to bypass the safety feature that won't allow the doors to be locked with the engine running and in park? I'd like to be able to start the E for warmup, lock the doors and go back in the house for a bit.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well......ya. I'm fat and lazy, why would I want to do something that would require more than pushing a button :grin:

So ya'll are saying that it CAN be done, you just need to use the key instead of the remote?

What about the remote start systems, how do they bypass this? Is it a logic thing or do you have to cut wires when you do the remote start install?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Try putting some weight on the driver's seat. It has to be related to a pressure sensor checking for a body in the driver's seat. If that works, you'll need to figure out how to override the weight sensor BUT I'll bet it's part of the air bag system. Therefore, I wouldn't tamper with it.

·
12,179 Posts
Try putting some weight on the driver's seat. It has to be related to a pressure sensor checking for a body in the driver's seat. If that works, you'll need to figure out how to override the weight sensor BUT I'll bet it's part of the air bag system. Therefore, I wouldn't tamper with it.

No sensors in the drivers seat at all. It will be a function of the multiplex unit built into the fuse box.

It is a factory setting to prvent someone from accidently locking themselves out when the car is running.

·
Registered
751 Posts
No sensors in the drivers seat at all. It will be a function of the multiplex unit built into the fuse box.

It is a factory setting to prvent someone from accidently locking themselves out when the car is running.
Hmm... there has to be some sort of logic in the system that gives the vehicle the idea that the keys are in the ignition but no one is there. I've left the car running with my wife in the passenger seat but was unable to lock the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know I've done this & wished I didn't. I pushed the lock button on the drivers door, got out and closed the door. It left me stranded at the supermarket with a locked running car and feeling stupid. I needed a ride back home and back to the market with spares. I do have a remote starter. Perhaps that overrides the safety feature because it does allow me to remote start in the AM with it locked

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Have you considered an auto- or remote-start system? I have one. Basically, I start my car from inside my house. I plan the night before and turn on what I need [heat or A/C, etc.]. Then, I just use that. My doors stay locked and the alarm is still on until I unlock it. And even if it were unlocked, if someone tried to get in beside me, it would shut off the second they tried to drive away without the key.

·
12,179 Posts
Hmm... there has to be some sort of logic in the system that gives the vehicle the idea that the keys are in the ignition but no one is there. I've left the car running with my wife in the passenger seat but was unable to lock the car.

How did you try locking the door? Remote? Key in the door cylinder? or the button on the drivers door?

The door locks don't care if anyone is in the vehicle. None of the sensors in the seats are related to door lock function.

Putting the key in the ignition is going to send a signal to the multiplex unit. The same unit that controls door lock operation. Once the unit sees that the key is in the ignition the signal to lock the doors electronically will be ignored.

·
Registered
751 Posts
At the time, I only had the keys that were in the ignition, so I tried both the lock button and pushing the button down. Neither worked. End result was door closed but unlocked. I might try bringing both sets of keys out to the car to see if using the lock cylinder works.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
adding support to Lizzurd's comment...

1 day i thought i would leave the key in the ignition, but bring the remote w/ me to get back in. i wasn't very alert when i found i had to lock the door manually and discovered, much to my dismay, that the remote wouldn't unlock the door either. fortunately, the vehicle was in my driveway and i had a spare key inside the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts