Honda Element Owners Club banner

Can't see the instruments? Modify the steering wheel tilt mechanism!

12K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  buttermilk 
#1 · (Edited)
After 2 years of not being able to see the top of the speedo due to my height (6' 1" with a long torso), I have finally fixed the visability problem without sawing off the top of the steering wheel ala rambler dan.

and now I'm doing the happy dance; this bugged the @$#%& out of me for the past 2+ years.

It ended up being very simple; I modified the steering wheel tilt mechanism to allow the wheel to tilt up slightly more. The mechanism is incredibly basic consisting of a arced slot, a bolt, and the tilt adjust lever. simply mill, dremel, drill, etc the slot longer and the wheel will tilt higher. There is approximatley 3/16" or so of clearance above the steering column bearing at the tilt mechanism. When the steering column can tilt up that 3/16" or so, it allows the rim of the steering wheel to be raised another 5/8"-3/4" or so (since the steering wheel rim is about 10" or so from the tilt mech, basic trigonometry), making all the difference in the world.

If you look at the clearance between the guage trim rings and the top plastic steering column cover, that's the limit that the wheel can tilt up to, since the plastic cover will run into the trim rings if it went any higher. It turns out that the tilt mech will only accommodate about the same extra tilt as the trim ring clearance so all is good.

I can post some pics if needed be but I'll describe the process here.

DISCLAIMER: DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH MODIFYING YOUR STEERING COLUMN, DON'T DO IT. This mod may void your warranty, result in death or disfigurement of you or your loved ones, blah blah blah

These are the steps that I used to reach steering wheel nirvana:

Disconnect the battery (In case the airbag wires are disconnected accidentally you won't have to reset the airbag light)

Remove the plastic access panel below the steering column

Remove the upper and lower plastic steering column covers (three screws hold the bottom cover to the column, the covers then unsnap from each other.

Remove the 2 screws and 2 nuts that hold the steering column to the underside of the dash.

At this point, the entire assembly should be able to descend down and out about 3-4" so that it can be worked on. I left all of the wires connected for ease of reassembly.

Remove the extension spring (on the passenger side of the column/tilt mech)

Remove the 10mm screw and retaining clip that prevents the head of the tilt mech bolt from turning. It is on the passenger side of the column. Unscrew and remove the tilt pinch bolt from the tilt adjust lever. At this point, tilt the column up as far as it will go (or tilt the sheet metal top plate down) and you will see how much additional slot will be required to allow for the extra tilt. If you have gotten this far, then you are probably capable of Modifing the slot as required and reassembling. I used a big C-clamp to hold the mechanism at it's max tilt height and drilled and milled the slot longer (taller).

Reassemble, and adjust the tilt lever preload by tightening or loosening the tilt bolt; when you get it right, reinstall the retaining clip and 10mm screw.

reinstall the column to the underside of the dash, replace the plastic covers and check for proper operation of the tilt mechanism. According to the manual, torque the 2 screws and 2 nuts to 144 in-lbs or 16 newton meters (this appears to be the collapsible feature for the steering column)

A little bit of extra tilt at the mechanism goes a long way at the rim of the steering wheel.

See less See more
#5 ·
I am 6' 4" and have the same problem. It's odd they made the car so tall inside (antler room as one automotive reviewer put it) but the top of the windshield and the steering wheel are so low. I would like to see a photo if you have one. I looked at the Service Manual and the picture for the tilt mechanism isn't very detailed. I wonder if adding a shim under the rear of the steering wheel mounts would help? I guess if the screws were 6" apart the shim would need to be 1" for 10°.

#17 ·
I also has a lot to do with how you sit.

If you tilt the seat back even a couple notches you get a better veiw of the gages. I'm 5'11" and I have the seat all the way upright and even I miss a tiny bit of the top of the speedo. Even if I wanted to tilt the seat back a tad I can't. My son's baby seat is right up to mine.:oops:

If I was an inch or two taller I'd be all over this Mod.

#11 · (Edited)
I just took some pics, I'll post in the morning....

I also noticed that The max upward tilt will probably be limited by the clearance of the tilt mech, not the clearance between the upper plastic column cover and the guage trim rings. I still have clearance at the guage trim rings and the steering wheel is plenty high for me. I may also have a little clearance left in the tilt mech.

Gambling Element-Yes, shimming the rear mounting screws for the steering column (where it bolts up to the underside of the dash) looks like it will also give more vertical tilt at the wheel, I don't know if it will affect the column u-joints......probably not. Since this appears to be part of the column collapse feature, modify carefully.

#12 · (Edited)
Here are the pics:

First pic shows tilt pinch bolt in modified slot

Second pic shows steering column fully lowered without the pinch bolt in place (steering wheel is practically resting on driver's seat) You can also see one of the nuts that fasten the tilt assy to the underside of the dash.

Third is the tilt bolt mechanism and retaining clip thingy

Fourth is the retaining clip on the head of the tilt bolt (in-place)

The first 2 pics show marks where I C-Clamped the slotted arms to facilitate drilling/milling. I also clamped the steering column vertically with a giant C-Clamp to hold it in the full "up-tilt" position while machining.

Attachments

#21 ·
me too

Okay, I did this today. What a mess to do by yourself...

Tips:
-FOLLOW ALL SAFETY DIRECTIONS REGARDING SRS
-Try to lock the steering wheel in the 'straight' position
-I took off the entire steering column to work on it (above the elbow). Before taking off the entire column, mark with a pen where the shaft and elbow align, so you know the correct rotation location to reattach
-The tightening lever bolt is actually REVERSE threaded, or I am crazy
-You are actually drilling through TWO pieces on EACH SIDE. Clamp each side tight together to make drilling easier
-Insert a wedge, or otherwise secure top and bottom at greatest (highest) position
-I did one side VERY sloppily, then drilled THROUGH that hole, all the way to the other side for a nice clean drill hole on the opposite. It was actually far less of a hole extension than I expected
-Clean up all your metal shavings carefully. Wipe off grease if filled with shavings and reapply new.
-Get a SECOND PERSON to help you re-attach the column to the elbow, and column to the dash. I gashed my trim in a couple places trying to do this by myself
-(see pic) There are 4 metal pieces that the 2 bolts and 2 nuts [that hold the column to the dash] run through. They are LOOSE. Tape them in-place to the assembly, or they will move as soon as you try to reattach, making the reassembly ridiculously painful.
-Remember to reinstall the lock ring on the lever bolt before you test the tension, or it will repeatedly loosen (duh, slaps own forehead)
-Reattach column at elbow BEFORE reattaching to dash

I think thats it...

Attachments

#22 ·
P.S. If somebody else yanks the whole column, please let me know how many longitudinal grooves are on the end of the shaft. I think I may have missed my own mark, because the steering wheel now seems off by a few degrees. I can calc an answer if I know how many grooves (or if i am just imagining it).

#25 ·
New to the Element Scene. Knowing I was going to spend a lot of miles in my recently acquired Element, I did a search and found this thread. THANK YOU! Done and done. I can even raise the seat slightly to a more comfortable position and still see the top of the speedo. A couple of tips;

After dropping the steering column, slide the seat all the way forward and rest the wheel on the seat. I also used a cardboard box with a piece of foam to hold it up.

Use the right tools and its a smooth, quick process. Use a Dremel type tool, a standard drill doesn't have the rpm's.

Spend a few extra bucks for a good cutting bit. You will be glad you did. I used a Dremel 9901 Tungsten Carbide Cutter. i think it was 10 bucks at Home depot. Easy cutting, and most important, control. You're grinding on your steering column, don't skimp here.

Try and clean off as much grease before you start grinding. The shavings stick everywhere, including in between the two plates you are grinding. If you have an air compressor, it's good to have it set up with a blow gun for removing the shavings. A strong magnet helps collect them too.

#26 ·
Tilt steering mod

After 2 years of not being able to see the top of the speedo due to my height (6' 1" with a long torso), I have finally fixed the visability problem without sawing off the top of the steering wheel ala rambler dan. It ended up being very simple; I modified the steering wheel tilt mechanism to allow the wheel to tilt up slightly more...........
Please excuse me as this question is not Honda related. I came across this forum while searching for a way to modify the tilt steering on my new 2015 Ram pickup truck. I really like your mod idea and I am tall having a similar problem with every modern vehicle. In the old days I used to tilt the wheel all the way down and look at the instruments from over the wheel. Now most steering wheels don't tilt that far down. I can see the instruments by tilting the wheel in the up-most position and then look through the wheel, but then my arms are outstretched uncomfortably far and I feel like a bus driver. If I could just tilt my wheel one more click down, I'd be happy. Sorry about the ramble - My question is: Have you had any experience with a tilt steering mod to other types of vehicles or any knowledge on the subject from anyone you've ever talked too.

#28 ·
I would PRESUME this is possible on some other vehicles. Find a good custom shop and go ask. If you don't know where to start, I would look for one of those places that converts vehicles for wheelchairs (i.e. major work). Print out this thread and take it with you. Pay them a few $, to examine and see if it's possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.