Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am looking to put in an aftermarket car alarm system in my new SOP. Searched all over the web for car installer recommendations but couldn't find any. Can anyone recommend a car alarm installer they have experience with in the North/Mid Jersey area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have used Circuit City on multiple occasions--never any problems. Especially a nice deal with stereo items. When you go to sell your car they will put all the stock stuff back in place without a charge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been scouring through the forums and found some whom like you had a good experience with CC while others despises them. 50-50.. are there any shops out there that's more consistent on the better rating side?

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:9db5b386ad="froggyac"]I have been scouring through the forums and found some whom like you had a good experience with CC while others despises them. 50-50.. are there any shops out there that's more consistent on the better rating side?[/quote:9db5b386ad]

So --- the problem you have here is that there's only a few major chains that install stuff and most chains have a poor rep.

What you need is a local recommendation. My suggestion would be to post your request in the "Greater New York Element Owners" subforum and also check your local yellow pages and visit some "ma & pop" type car audio and security shops in your area.

There should be no shortage of car security shops near NYC! :lol:

Anyway, take a look at the products they offer and the prices, ask to take a look at the install bays - they should be neat and tidy. Speak with the owner, he should be firendly and also be able to show you a written sample warranty for his work and any certifications he or his installers hold.

You should expect that these shops will give you a good discount on the electronics but not the labor - this is thier value-add and is what counts the most. Expect to pay 30-60/hour depending on the location of the shop (closer to the city is more expensive because of rents usually).

Also, talk to a customer if there's one in the shop and don't be afraid to ask for references if there isn't.

Finally, ask around friends/family etc. about who has a good reputation. The best referrals are usually from someone you trust most.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey eMass

That was what I was looking for exactly.. great advice.

I have a referral for a local shop from a friend however I am concerned that with the E being brand new and all, local mom and pop shops might not be as familiar with the car? My logic is flawed, if they are truly professionals they should be able to tackle any vehicle right?

I did pay CC a visit to check out the alarms they carry. One of the store clerks asked me to stop by at the end of the week to find out if what they can and cannot do with the Element. I guess the CC that I went to have not installed an alarm in an Element yet.

Time to give local shops a chance..

do you have any advice on LED placement?

Thanks !

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Honda OEM alarm puts the LED mid steering column. When I had my aftermarket alarm put it, I also had the LED placed mid steering column. Visible to outsiders passing by when alarmed.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:02b82ae2bb="froggyac"]hey eMass

That was what I was looking for exactly.. great advice.

I have a referral for a local shop from a friend however I am concerned that with the E being brand new and all, local mom and pop shops might not be as familiar with the car? My logic is flawed, if they are truly professionals they should be able to tackle any vehicle right?

I did pay CC a visit to check out the alarms they carry. One of the store clerks asked me to stop by at the end of the week to find out if what they can and cannot do with the Element. I guess the CC that I went to have not installed an alarm in an Element yet.

Time to give local shops a chance..

do you have any advice on LED placement?

Thanks ![/quote:02b82ae2bb]

Don't worry about the E being new - good shops will be able to handle anything as you say.

I had an AutoPage alarm installed and it blends seamlessly into my E. The LED was put right on the center of the steering column as well - looks great.

Here's some info on AutoPage...
http://www.autopageusa.com/

My alarm cost $199.00 including installation. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks pedsflightrn and eMass

led will be in the middle then..

I called around and got the following from talking to the installers:

- the responder lines from dlifford/viper/hornet are pretty much all the same and the range is not as far as the box says

between viper 550 esp and clifford rs2 - the clifford model has a better remote technology? not sure i understand exactly

after some reading i am most likely to move away from the responder series and just go with an alarm and a remote starter..

the installers that i am looking at are dei carriers so i'll probably end up getting

- viper 550 esp or the clifford rs2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts