Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to get gas and my element would not start, had my wife jump me car started did not let the car warm up... drove off about hundreds yards out the car died, put a new battery in it its been runnig great... can anybody tell me what might have happened... thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like just a dead battery. What was the age of the battery? If it was more than 3 or 4 years old it could have just died over time. If it was fairly new you may have an alternator/charging issue.

Can you provide a little more info?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Unless the battery takes enough of a charge to start the engine on its own, it isn't necessarily charged enough to keep the engine running. Driving off immediately after a jump start could cause the car to die, as I learned a month ago.

I accidentally left an interior light on and drained my 5 year old battery flat. As luck would have it, my battery charger also died since I used it last. Stored in the garage it developed an internal short that blew the garage breaker.

I got a jump start and after the second attempt the engine continued to run on its own. I ran the engine at high idle for another 5 minutes before driving with my wife to pick up a new charger. I left her in the car with the engine running for the 10 minutes it took to run in and get the charger. Afterwards we drove for a good half hour at a decent speed, thinking that would recharge the battery.

It didn't. When I put a multimeter across the battery before attaching the charger, it read 10.2 volts - less than half charged. Since the new charger reports the level as it works and throttles back to a maintenance mode when full charge is reached, I let it run and checked its progress hourly. It took the charger nearly 6 hours at 6 Amps before it reported the battery was fully charged. The battery tested out at 12.4V and read 12.3v the next morning.

That was more than a month ago, and I haven't had trouble since. I know that lead acid batteries aren't supposed to have "memory", but that's how it acted when I tried to quick charge it. The 100A output of the alternator for 40 minutes of driving wasn't as effective at recharging the battery to full capacity as a lower current for a longer period of time with no other load. (I subsequently checked the alternator output voltage, it was OK)

What I learned from this experience is that its not enough to jump start a car with a drained battery and drive it away. It takes more time to recharge a drained battery.

Interestingly, after I reset the radio code the radio started sounding much better than it had been - much louder and stronger bass for the same volume level indicated. This suggests that the battery had been working at partial charge for quite a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had to go and get a new battery today, because it just randomly died on me. I was drivin around all day havin fun and whatnot before work. Well get home change clothes and hop back in the E and it wouldn't crank. Guess it didn't want me going to work haha. Oh well got it jumped and a new battery and hopefully smooth sailing from here.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Unless the battery takes enough of a charge to start the engine on its own, it isn't necessarily charged enough to keep the engine running. Driving off immediately after a jump start could cause the car to die, as I learned a month ago.

I accidentally left an interior light on and drained my 5 year old battery flat. As luck would have it, my battery charger also died since I used it last. Stored in the garage it developed an internal short that blew the garage breaker.

I got a jump start and after the second attempt the engine continued to run on its own. I ran the engine at high idle for another 5 minutes before driving with my wife to pick up a new charger. I left her in the car with the engine running for the 10 minutes it took to run in and get the charger. Afterwards we drove for a good half hour at a decent speed, thinking that would recharge the battery.

It didn't. When I put a multimeter across the battery before attaching the charger, it read 10.2 volts - less than half charged. Since the new charger reports the level as it works and throttles back to a maintenance mode when full charge is reached, I let it run and checked its progress hourly. It took the charger nearly 6 hours at 6 Amps before it reported the battery was fully charged. The battery tested out at 12.4V and read 12.3v the next morning.

That was more than a month ago, and I haven't had trouble since. I know that lead acid batteries aren't supposed to have "memory", but that's how it acted when I tried to quick charge it. The 100A output of the alternator for 40 minutes of driving wasn't as effective at recharging the battery to full capacity as a lower current for a longer period of time with no other load. (I subsequently checked the alternator output voltage, it was OK)

What I learned from this experience is that its not enough to jump start a car with a drained battery and drive it away. It takes more time to recharge a drained battery.

Interestingly, after I reset the radio code the radio started sounding much better than it had been - much louder and stronger bass for the same volume level indicated. This suggests that the battery had been working at partial charge for quite a while.
I always thought that an alternator had to have a 12V input to function properly.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts