Honda Element Owners Club banner

Car doesn't start on first try. Has an awful sound the first crank. Ignition starter or something else?

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Fleetw00d 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just purchased my 2011 Honda Element EX and I am loving it so far.
Recently, in the past month, the car hasn't been starting on the first try and it makes an awful sound on the first crank. It doesn't sound like normal cranking. I recorded a video of the sound.

I am wondering if it might be the starter or something else? I recently changed the spark plugs and did the valve adjustments 2 months ago so I am wondering if it is related to that?

Any guesses would be appreciated.
Thanks!

#2 ·
How many miles? What happens if you hold the key in the start position longer on the first attempt, does it eventually change to "normal" cranking? Does it only make that sound on cold (hasn't been driven for a while) starts, or every time? Doesn't sound like valve or ignition related noise.

#6 · (Edited)
Random thoughts:
If the top of an engine is "dry" it will sound different before it starts.
Did you change your oil recently? Check the level?

That was a long crank before run than I am used to hearing. Try waiting longer in "run" before starting. If that eliminates the issue, check the fuel system from the filler cap and evap forward.

Did you use a torque wrench when adjusting the valves?

#7 ·
The oil level is good and it has about 30% life left. I haven't had that sound since I have been leaving the key longer in the "run" position. I may have to check the fuel system then. Do you know why that would effect it? And yes, everything was torqued to spec.

Thank you for your help.

#8 ·
I can't think of anything in the fuel system that would do it. The pump comes on for 2 seconds when you first turn the key to "on". If the check valve in the pump has allowed the system to drain down some, I don't think you'd be able to hear anything as it fills again. If the engine isn't firing (because of lack of fuel initially), I don't think it is going to sound any different than normal cranking.

#10 ·
Wow, thank for you the response!
I have lonely had it happen once during the past 2 weeks since I have been leaving it in the "on" position for a couple of seconds before cranking. I will pay attention tonight and listen to how long it stays on for and if it differs each time. I haven't notice a high pitch buzz in my car, but I will also listen fo that over the next week.

#11 · (Edited)
I ended up replacing the starter and that stopped the grinding noises. I think the gears were not synchronizing correctly upon startup. The teeth on the flywheel looked good, a little shiny on some spots (maybe from the grinding) but I didn't see any damage. So far so good, I also replaced the ignition switch but it didn't help the problem.

I appreciate the help everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.