Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had State Farm for many years, thinking I should price shop them to make sure I'm not getting ripped for being a quiet loyal customer, so what company have you had good luck with and vice versa?
Me thinks Geico was in the second category... more?
Is there really any advantages to being a loyal customer anymore?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anually, my wife calls all the companies we have a monthly service for (cable, cell, insurance, etc) to determine how we can save money.

You'd be surprised how much you can save by calling.

We've checked different insurers, and found that State Farm has been our best bet. Multiple car insurance discounts. we use them for our home owners as well, and that helps.

right now, 2 vehicles and homeowners costs us just under $200/mo (full coverage on both vehicles with $500 deductible).

YRMV, but you might try calling 'em.

oh, and we're both in our 40s, so that may help our rates. not sure your age.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I've been with State Farm for 40 years. Never regretted it. To paraphrase what Mcdirtymetal says above, cheap insurance is great until you have an accident.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was with Geico for many years. For the last couple of years, and no one could beat their rates. I even had agents tell me flat out, that I'd never get a better rate. Fortunately, I never had to actually USE the insurance. However, my father's State Farm agent recently bent over backwards to beat out Geico. They matched or exceeded all of my previous conditions, and I now pay $20 less per month than I did with Geico.

The only thing I forgot to ask them about was "accident forgiveness". I need to look into that. I haven't been in an accident in over 23 years, but it would make me feel better to know, if I do get in one, that my rate won't skyrocket.

Do any of you State Farm customers have any experience with that?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was with Geico for many years. For the last couple of years, and no one could beat their rates. I even had agents tell me flat out, that I'd never get a better rate. Fortunately, I never had to actually USE the insurance. However, my father's State Farm agent recently bent over backwards to beat out Geico. They matched or exceeded all of my previous conditions, and I now pay $20 less per month than I did with Geico.

The only thing I forgot to ask them about was "accident forgiveness". I need to look into that. I haven't been in an accident in over 23 years, but it would make me feel better to know, if I do get in one, that my rate won't skyrocket.

no, it won't skyrocket.
my last and only experience; 15 + yrs ago
backed my utility trailer into a parked car, did like $350. damage,
they took 350. divided it by 3 and raised my rate that much for 3 yrs.
little bit like a savings account. :)
have no idea what they'd do with a big claim,
FWIW, all of you good enough to answer; I just turned 70 yr old, understandably rates for young are higher and my only question is do they raise rates on us that say nothing, have no claims, and just keep paying the premium year after year. kinda like "we gotcha", I've heard it's wise to periodically get other quotes, but that's easier said then done, some agents won't even talk to you cause they know what you're doing, others may low- ball you to get the business only to raise the rate next yr..
well, do appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm not sure about raising your rates, but they sure won't lower them unless you call and ask.
taking your suggestion I called my agent today, asking if he knew any ways to lower my premium without increasing deductibles (which is a no-brainer), he said the only was their "drive safe and save", that's where they install a bluetooth gizmo in your car and they can track how your driving and how many miles.... basically saying we don't trust you!
I told him what I thought of that plan, but offered he could come to my place and check the odometer on the element if he wanted, he declined.
so, just wanted to pass along what I found.
jakrabit, there's nothing wrong with your idea of calling people.
I've had positive results with others.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

look into "surcharges", what it says is; if this is first accident in 9 years and policy has been in effect for 9 years, no change in rate.
call your agent.......that's what they get paid for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
taking your suggestion I called my agent today, asking if he knew any ways to lower my premium without increasing deductibles (which is a no-brainer), he said the only was their "drive safe and save", that's where they install a bluetooth gizmo in your car and they can track how your driving and how many miles.... basically saying we don't trust you!
I told him what I thought of that plan, but offered he could come to my place and check the odometer on the element if he wanted, he declined.
so, just wanted to pass along what I found.
jakrabit, there's nothing wrong with your idea of calling people.
I've had positive results with others.
My daughter put the Progressive Snapshot in her old chevy Z24 for a while. She ended up having various unknown engine problems, until she finally traded it in for a newer car. We have no proof it was caused by the Snapshot device, but there are several current class action law suits due to supposed damage done by them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Some of these companies like Allstate and Liberty Mutual tout things like "deductible forgiveness, deductible rebates, and new car replacement", but if you don't ask them they won't tell you these things cost more upfront.

Now obviously, if you shop and find you can truly save $$$$ a year over what you are paying now, it becomes a decision.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
My dogs car is an 85 Nissan Maxima that I bought new for $11,800. I never covered it for anything but liablility. In the thirty five years I have owned this vehicle I have saved more than enough on premiums to pay for the car. My 04 E, 08 Versa, and 03 S2000 also only carry liability. Again the money I save on ins. costs can replace any of them, if needed. I might mention that my wife and I have never had an accident or a claim. Just to say.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dogs car is an 85 Nissan Maxima that I bought new for $11,800. I never covered it for anything but liablility. In the thirty five years I have owned this vehicle I have saved more than enough on premiums to pay for the car. My 04 E, 08 Versa, and 03 S2000 also only carry liability. Again the money I save on ins. costs can replace any of them, if needed. I might mention that my wife and I have never had an accident or a claim. Just to say.
you just explained the logic behind insurance. good and bad.
as Clint said in the movie; "are you feeling lucky"?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Most car insurance companies say they save new customers an average $500 per year but they can only do that if all the companies raise their rates each year to get them high enough that another company can save them that much. Liberty Mutual is shady with their ads about accident forgiveness, reducing deductibles, etc. making it sound like other companies don't have them.

I guess I've been lucky with my rates or they are cheaper in the plains states. I have a Wrangler valued at $35,000 and an E valued at $18,000 and my rate for the two is $68/mo. with full coverage and $500 deductible. And that's a higher rate than I was paying in Iowa. The insurance underwriter told me the area I'm in has a higher incident rate than the one I was in Iowa. My last ticket was 47 years ago and last at fault accident was 49 years ago. Plus I drive low miles and 6 other discounts that my insurer gives me. Most of my rate is to cover other driver's claims. So I don't mind carrying full insurance for such a low rate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes we all carry liability, but how much is enough? If you are at fault, claims against your estate and future earnings can go way beyond your insurance coverage. So many people carry, just the minimum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can save a bit by putting all your policies with one company. I have State Farm for about 5 years and they are competitive with their prices. $1,000 deductible will full coverage and I couldn't beat their prices anywhere.

I also had a $4,000 claim about 3 years ago when I hit some ice and jumped the curb. The rates SKYROCKETED! More than doubled. They are back to normal now but it was bad.

·
Registered
127 Posts
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/business/the-kind-of-car-insurer-that-gives-consumers-the-best-value.html?_r=4

interesting highlights:
Dividend-paying mutual insurers paid out in claims an average 72.6 percent of the premiums they earned.
Mutual companies that do not pay dividends paid an average 64.5 percent,
while publicly traded companies paid the least in claims: 62.8 percent of premiums.

(Dividend-paying) USAA, the Automobile Club of Southern California, Amica Mutual and NJM Insurance.

(Mutual companies ) Liberty Mutual

(publicly traded companies ) Allstate, Geico (which is part of Warren E. Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate) and Progressive.

From the article... basically it's not about the premiums you pay (most companies can offer you similar rates) but about which insurance company is actually willing to pay out when you do get in accidents

·
Banned
7 Posts
Hey, guys! What do you think about car insurance, and I mean when do we need to sign a car with an insurance company? Since I know that a lot depends on insurance it is worth understanding that the car must be properly designed for the correct documentation. However, if you want to better understand this topic, I recommend finding forums on similar topics can better understand how to operate this system.

____

Here is the link https://www.americaninsurance.com/when-would-i-sign-car-title-insurance-company

1 - 18 of 18 Posts