Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
WHAT! who get's rodent in the Car :?, no wonder it's easy caught and i bet that the Ins adjuster is part of it too. :twisted:

·
Registered
33 Posts
WHAT! who get's rodent in the Car :?, no wonder it's easy caught and i bet that the Ins adjuster is part of it too. :twisted:
Ok this one is a scam, but this actually happened to me. I was driving to work one day when a lady pointed at my car noting the engine smoking. When the dealer got it they said it looked as if a rat had chewed through the radiator hoses. Mind you these must have been gold plated hoses since the damage cost me $750!! I asked to see the old hoses and sure enough, there were teeth marks all over the hoses. The dealer said antifreeze tastes sweet to the rats and they will seek it out. When I got home I put a rat trap under my car with some cheese and the next morning bingo I caught the largest rat I had ever seen! Turns out my wife had left the back door open to the garage for the dogs to get in and out for a few days and the rat got in. I have never felt such satisfaction from killing anything than when I saw the dead rat in a trap that cost me $750.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mice and rabbits also will get under the hood and do a lot of damage. A friand live in Yucca Valley and he has had a few cars that wouldn't start the the rabbits tore up the wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
all to common

On the MDX it's not uncommon to see a P0325 knock sensor code caused by a chewed through subcord. In fact I've seen it on the TL and RL 2005 and up. The factory has even added a mouse proof tape to the new cord on some of the cars. Working on the Peninsula we have the hills and the bay lands so critter invasion of cars is not uncommon. Added to that is lots of folks leave food in their cars and fast food containers with leftovers...a meals on wheels for the critters!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
My stepmom had a similar experience with her Buick - a kangaroo rat had snacked on the wiring harness insulation under the hood. Cost her something like $1200 to fix because the damage was everywhere. Adding insult is that it is illegal to trap or otherwise harm kangaroo rats where she lives - all you can do is make things more hospitable for natural predator species... like rattlesnakes. :shock:

She lives somewhat near to that car shop pulling the insurance scam, so it was completely reasonable that it wasn't detected for as long as it was. The planted "dead rat" scheme is priceless, tho'. Just a little over the top.

·
Registered
873 Posts
try spraying some tabascco under the car & on the under side wires.:evil::evil::evil: & stick some habanaros around & under the hood.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,889 Posts
They are scammers and got busted. GOOD!

The fact is, rodents for some reason love to chew on wire insulation. I know for a fact on GM's they prefer pink. We see rodent damage all the time at the dealer. With that said, I have noticed them under the hood of my E, they leave the little turds and piss on the valve cover. The Tabasco sauce is a great idea but leaves a mess. I have been using d-con bait traps, so far the mice eat (hopefully die) and and don't bother eating wires.

Here is a pic from my shop a few years ago. Diesel pickup towed in for no start, Opened the hood and found this. Lots of wires chewed and shorted. customer stopped by to inspect, he was to say the least very surprised.

He lives on a farm with plenty of cats

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
These seem to work well at removing rats and mice.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Damn.... I was hoping I could keep this under raps... LOL FYI San Leandro gave it to me hard again. They Said my car ran great. I took it into the place i had my tires installed for an alignment which it needed, they said 2 fluids needed to be changed soon but I shouldn't worry about it since my 90 thousand mile was coming up and that my battery had failed. All of these things San Leandro said were ok. O and Rynick tires in alameda charged me $0.00. I love them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts