Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Thinking about replacing the moonroof with a carbon fiber panel to help lower the center of gravity, save a little on weight and keep my element a bit cooler in the summer. I did some searching and didn't find anyone who had done this. Looks like parts for a complete replacement would be about $200 for the hardware without the glass.

The next step is to get exact dimensions for the glass. Can anyone recommend a resource that would be able to provide a blueprint (old term, I know) or exact dimensions? Not required, but it would save me some time.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, let me know via PM. Having my guy make 10 as opposed to 1 would be fantastic...perhaps with some kind of logo? :) No idea on price yet. Thinking it should be less than replacement glass for the panel. Once we nail down the dimensions, I can give an estimate.

Cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think from a design standpoint this is great idea to change up the look of your E, but from a weight standpoint, I don't think the amount of weight that you would reduce would be worth it.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think I like the look of the idea, buy you're maybe saving 2 pounds at best. You would get better lower gravity standards from removing a roof rack if you had one, or taking the sunglasses out of the sunglasses holder ya know? Although I will say that would be interesting to have a carbon fiber sliding panel, instead of glass.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I think from a design standpoint this is great idea to change up the look of your E, but from a weight standpoint, I don't think the amount of weight that you would reduce would be worth it.

Just my two cents...
Not to mention the leak factor....

Unless it is thick enough, and the mold is dead-on, the carbon fiber panel will flex and leak - thick enough, and it will not be much diff in weight from the glass that's already there. Spending $300 to $400 to save a couple of pounds in weight, that won't change the center of gravity even a tenth of a percent seems a little silly. If the goal is a cooler element, adding some dark UV tint will do the trick, for a lot less money.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Couldn't you just lay the carbon fiber over the glass to get the shape you need. It may save you 5 pounds, not sure what it weighs exactly but you are only replacing the glass not the metal surround on the sunroof. Cool idea but I must agree that you won't really see anything noticeable in weight reduction.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good points all. Leaking is of course the greatest challenge. Not sure how that will turn out, but if we can duplicate the dimensions of the glass, can't see why it wouldn't work with the factory seals. I plan to get all duplicate hardware, so I can toss my oem roof back in if it becomes an issue. Still looking for plans and now also shipping weight. Of course its all in the hands of my fabricator at this point.

The appointment for ceramic tint (roof included) is tomorrow. ^_^

This is just some extra curricular truck nerding.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could you lay the fiber over the glass, and after it sets up, break the glass?
Good question. I don't work with the material myself, but had a vision of a lightweight blank (balsa?) coated with CF. I really have no idea, though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think this isn't going to save weight, but you can save "the look" by forming it over the window and finding a way to adhere it to the window's surface. Done and done.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You could just get a sign shop to wrap it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts