Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I were talking last night. We both have Es (him 05 me 09) and he said it would be cool if there was a flip up box for the cargo area to turn it into a truck bed basically. so if you are hauling, say, firewood, you could slide this in and protect all the sides and the backs of the front seats. Does anyone know if something like this exists?

Civ - Day 3 with the new E and lovin' it!

·
Registered
873 Posts
It would of been nice if honda would of made the rear tire cover with two flip up doors on top of the existing cover that would open to protect the sides and double as table extentions.altho I hear the table is kinda flimsey as it is.or they could be used as a table stiffener!!!! yup that's what they need.good luck.look for a plastic box at wallyworld or homedepot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hinged ply was our first thought. Would need to put something on the outside to stop the scratching but other than that it should work. And it doesn't need to be that thick, 1/4" should work. Sounds like a good weekend project. Or maybe I need to make friends with someone that works with plastic sheets.:smile:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
1/4" is a bit thin, go at least 3/8 or 1/2 to get some sort rigidity from it. cover the outsides with automotive carpet or automotive vinal and it will keep the plastics from getting scratched. even if you build it out of plastic it will sctratch the panels if they arent covered.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Do you really need anything more than a poly tarp?

The other day I broke up a bunch of screen doors, and took the metal scrap to the recycling station. For that I lowered the front passenger seat back lining it up with my cargo plaform. Then layed a poly tarp over the whole length. The ends of long pieces (about 7') were stuck into a duffle, and the bundle tied together.

My cargo platform if functionally much like the rear seats in their flat position.

Raising the rear seats gives a rather clean 4 x 6 box. A tarp could be fitting in there, bathtub fashion, protecting the interior from scratches and debris. If needed, bungees could secure edges to the headrests and grab handles. With some cargo I can see the point to adding some stiffer panels (on the cargo side of the tarp) to add further protection. But if the cargo could shift enough during travel to harm the plastic on the other side of the tarp, it could also cause serious damage to the driver during a crash or rollover. In which case I'd worry more about securing the cargo with a tarp or net on top to keep it from shifting.

Insulation panels, bubble pack, foam etc would work just as well as plywood to protect the interior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts