Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned the $140 genuine Honda factory cargo cover to my local dealer. The expensive (poorly designed) shade only covers a little more than half of the cargo area when the rear seats are in the typical (up) seating position. This leaves all valuables and gear in plain view through the side windows. You have to recline the seats way back before the "cover" actually covers much. This makes it impossible to install a baby seat properly.

Honda should move the mounting location forward about six inches in future models. :!:

·
Registered
160 Posts
You could almost tint the whole car for $140, depending on what quality tint you get. I've got 20% tint on the back windows, which when combined with the 17% factory privacy glass, nets you under 5% light transmission. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

In any case, I can't see anything in the cargo area, even when I'm parked in full sunlight.

eKennedy

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for confirming what I thought all along.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
hmm... i keep my seats reclined right to the edge of the cargo cover so that you can't see into the cargo area.

the seats in that position aren't really THAT far back, in fact... most of my friends sit in the laid back position anyway. (well... i am in the target demo... as are my friends...)

i'll be keeping my cargo cover!

you could probably get a piece of cloth, velcro it to the bottom side of the cargo cover, facing forward, and secure it to the seat backs with twine right onto the rear headrests. that way, you can keep the seats reclined all the way to the edge of the cargo cover like i do, or, if you put the seats in a more vertical position, the attached piece of cloth would cover up any gap between the seats and the cover...

Reactions: Kal61

·
Registered
75 Posts
I kinda have to agree about the cover being a disappointment. I don't have a problem with the gap at the seat back but find it gets in the way of the reclining/folding aspects of the back seat. I can't just lay down the seat back all the way or flip it up without the hassle of removing the cover from its mounts first. And stowing it after you have removed it from the mounts is also inconvenient when I am on the road. It's too wide to lay across the cargo area, so I end up putting it lengthwise and then it doesn't lay flat because I have the cargo tray.

However, it is very nicely finished with an embossed ELEMENT logo on the top of the retracting material.

Honda needs to redesign it so that it has a 50/50 split and mounts near the cargo floor with the retracting cover attached at the seatback. That way, the cover retracts as the seat back reclines or your can just detach it from the seat back to flip up the seat without having to take it off the mounts.

Anyways, it's the only one of the 20+ accessories that I bought for my Element that I would not buy again if given the chance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I keep a wide piece of black faux fir carpet under the seat. When I load something important into the back, I throw the blanket over it. With the tinted windows, It's impossible to see anything.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well i can see 2 points of view.

The cargo cover does cover the back well and i do like it

but

If i have to fit something large in the back, i have to dis lodge the cover and sometimes it's a pain to put it away :roll:

So it's 50/50

·
Registered
359 Posts
I also like the cargo cover. Always have it in place. However, if you carry items that are too tall, then it might be a problem. I like things to look neat an organized, and the cargo cover helps

·
Registered
447 Posts
I went to the back seat and adjusted the back until I was comfortable. Looks like this is about where the cargo cover starts.

I'm getting it, mainly because I think it would be more cozy for rear passengers--like a sedan, plus it should make the interior just a little quieter.

Plus I had some holiday bonus money feeding my accessoritis. :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had mine since shortly after I got the vehicle (7 mos. ago). For day-in, day-out concealing of groceries and small stuff it's great. If I'm carrying anything large enought to require that I dismantle it, the truth is it pops out easily and is self-contained in its housing so I can simply put it on the cargo floor paralell to the fender wall(s). Tidy and minimal when dimatled yet does a great job of keeping prying eyes off anything in the back.

As for the reclined rear seat(s) position required to close any gap, I simply set the seat backs there and I've yet to hear any complaints from anyone riding in the back seats about the position being uncomfortable.

Quite pleased with it based on my own experience.

·
Registered
914 Posts
If I were a crook and knew that the Element had a cargo area, i'd be more prone to break into one that had the cargo cover than one without (if the opportunity were to choose with or without cargo cover). Simply because I can see what is in the back without the cover, and unless its really good stuff, the other one must have even better stuff, because its covered.

Either that, or you end up with el zippo...makes life more interesting though, don't you think?

Back to the original post:

I think the poster mentioned being able to put a car seat in. It might not be worth it if you have to put your car seat in and the cover doesn't work, but then again, if you have a kid, you might not have anything worth stealing in the back anyway...except for a few diapers and bottles... :wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I mentioned in a similar thread that a cargo cover can also be a safety factor to prevent potentially lethal flying objects in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:2d97846aab=" "]I mentioned in a similar thread that a cargo cover can also be a safety factor to prevent potentially lethal flying objects in the event of an accident.[/quote:2d97846aab]

...assuming that it locks into place tightly?

-brendan

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are you a ginsu knife salesman?

[quote:ebb0981026="jimxenus"]I mentioned in a similar thread that a cargo cover can also be a safety factor to prevent potentially lethal flying objects in the event of an accident.[/quote:ebb0981026]

·
Registered
87 Posts
nope, no ginsu knives here :p but in a 35 mph collision will cause a can of corn to move at the equivalent of 100lbs of force! Enough to cause a skull fracture.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Has the NHTSA corn-can tested the cargo cover? Hmmmmm...

[quote:2ef2c2417b=" "]So you are a corn salesman? That's even weirder than Ginsu knives.[/quote:2ef2c2417b]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well I just got 4 boxes of accessories from HandA, they did a perfect job delivering what I wanted and packaged very carefully :)

The cargo cover is installed. It's not making the car quite so sedan-like, the seat reclined is a couple inches away. You can recline another notch and hit the cargo cover with the seats.

The thing I hope isn't a problem is a new noise. I slap the cover bar lightly with my hand, and it makes a metallic ring. Hopefully it doesn't do this as the car goes down the road.

BTW, the CARGO TRAY was a lot more interesting than the accessory brochures and online pictures show. It's a very cool looking piece with a sharp pattern. I think I am going to like it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Einstein, or anyone with a cargo cover, does it reduce noise at all from the rear wheels? Suspect it might not as there is a large air gap under the seats... I like the idea of a cover and used the one on my previous car (BMW 530iT Wagon), it was one of the best quality covers I have seen, was also wondering the quality of the E unit, I know the one on a Ford I owned was junk (flimsy plastic) compared to the 530's (probably cost 1/10 as much too!).

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is an air gap BESIDE the seats. I don't really notice a big difference, but some. Maybe the cargo tray helps, too.

[quote:e9adbea1ec=" "]Einstein, or anyone with a cargo cover, does it reduce noise at all from the rear wheels? Suspect it might not as there is a large air gap under the seats... I like the idea of a cover and used the one on my previous car (BMW 530iT Wagon), it was one of the best quality covers I have seen, was also wondering the quality of the E unit, I know the one on a Ford I owned was junk (flimsy plastic) compared to the 530's (probably cost 1/10 as much too!).[/quote:e9adbea1ec]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.