Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a Cargo Cover. I'll tell you the good and the bad of owning one.

Good

The cover hides your stuff.
It's attractive and goes well in the back area.
It comes in grey or blk.
It's retractable.

Bad

You can't lay the back seats flat unless you take out the cover, which could be a pain sometimes.

If you put the back seats on the side of the wall, you still have to take out the cover.

The back seats have to be reclined to the point of hitting the cargo cover or else their will be a gap and someone can see what you have hiding.

The cost is about $100 < this could be a negative factor >

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife really wanted one so we got it. It is nicely made but gee, you can hardly see in the back of an Ex in the first place. I probably would have passed on it if she hadn't really wanted the privacy.

We just got the car so it is early to judge, but I think it rattles some. I have to look more closely at it

Pete
SOP EX 5spd 4wd

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought one, because i thought I needed it...it is very small and the bar wher the cover rolls up in is very big.

It is nice when installed, but my son can't recline his seat all the way to look out of the moonroof!!

I kind of feel that I wasted 96 dollars, but it could have been worse the dealer wanted to charge me 140 and listen to this 15 dollars installation fee!!!

It takes 2 sec's to install, if you can call it that...just push the outsides in a little and put the bar into place!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I looked at them because I had one in my Civic, but honestly..you can't see in there anyway and to me it wasn't worth the hassle or money. If I want to hide something, it goes on the floor and is covered with boring stuff like sleeping bags or tire chains.

If you can install a roll of toilet paper in your john, you can install the cover. The same skills are involved.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got one too because I thought I needed one. I still like it and it does give you a better sense of security when hiding things back there. I have a 2WD so I don't worry about reclining the back seats for moonroof action and I rarely if ever, put the back seats up on their sides. The other nice thing about the cargo cover is that you can use it as a lightweight table to hold things temporarily.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Like it was said here the windows are so dark back there you can't see anything. I was going to buy it for my wifes crv when I bought it 6 years ago when I live near the bronx but the car windows were tinted so it worked out fine. It sounds more of a problem than a problem solver. If your that worried keep a black blanket in the back and cover it with that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One other thing that the Cargo cover can be used for is for safety. If you are ever in a collision, many things that are loose in the car can become deadly projectiles. So lots of things that you throw in the back which are not tied down like can goods can become very deadly. I read in a recent Reader's Digest an article that stated that a 35 mph collision will cause a flying object move at the equivalent of 100lbs of force! Enough to cause a skull fracture.

I think we often get a false sense of security with the improvement is safety that our cars include such as ABS brakes, air bags and seat belts.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i often haul tools and my completed work about in my E (i build furniture, paint, do some light metalwork etc. ) so i bought the privacy curtain. if i wish to keep those things from view i just put in the privacy curtain, sure, rear view is compromised a bit. but isnt that what mirrors are for? ;)

best
D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts