Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My top two E-cessories have got to be:

1. A rectangular milk crate - far more sturdy than the Honda Cargo Organizer. I bungeed mine to the side of the car behind the rear passenger seat - it's great for groceries. You can get them from lots of places, I just used one that I had in the garage, although these look rather heavy duty:

http://www.melmat.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=35&

2. For laundry, I love these things, and they fit perfectly in the E with one seat flipped sideways and the other in the sitting position. I have three, although two would probably meet my needs. At $12-$14 each with free shipping, they are a bargain:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-4D06-Configurations-23-Inch-Foldable/dp/B000JF8LSY

·
Registered
517 Posts
My OEM Cargo organizer has put up with abuse and is hanging in there good after 3 years. Bonus hooks hold it in place during spirited driving:-D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My oem organizer must take more abuse than yours. I crack the plastic/cardboard inside the divider. I have ripped the divider and sew back. the tie down attachment points are all ripped and flailing, can't even strap it down no more.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
+1 OEM organizer. I've had mine for about 3 years now and no problems. The bonus is that it folds flat in a pinch if you need the room, which is a nice advantage over milk crates.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
I initially used milk crates, but didn't like the way that thinks kept falling through them, nor their bulkiness when stored empty. The OEM organizer was too big for my purposes,and at $48, too expensive.

I like the cargo organizer I got from Harbor Freight better. It's often on sale for $10 (or less if you use a 20% coupon). Fully opened, three would fit laterally behind the rear seat, two would fit transversely between the front and rear seats. I've never needed more than one. If positioned laterally in the rear, I can put paper bags of groceries between it and the side and they don't tip or slide, several plastic bags fit in one compartment.

The gray complements my interior, and the red panels are very visible at night when the tailgate is open, serving as a warning flag.

http://www.harborfreight.com/trunk-organizer-65178.html

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got two of this today after seeing your post
Thanks a bunch

I initially used milk crates, but didn't like the way that thinks kept falling through them, nor their bulkiness when stored empty. The OEM organizer was too big for my purposes,and at $48, too expensive.

I like the cargo organizer I got from Harbor Freight better. It's often on sale for $10 (or less if you use a 20% coupon). Fully opened, three would fit laterally behind the rear seat, two would fit transversely between the front and rear seats. I've never needed more than one. If positioned laterally in the rear, I can put paper bags of groceries between it and the side and they don't tip or slide, several plastic bags fit in one compartment.

The gray complements my interior, and the red panels are very visible at night when the tailgate is open, serving as a warning flag.

http://www.harborfreight.com/trunk-organizer-65178.html

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Got two of this today after seeing your post
Thanks a bunch
You're welcome. Harbor Freight is one of my favorite sources for basic tools and odd-n-ends for my Element. Their stuff may not be the absolute best quality, but if you treat what you have with reasonable care, it's a good value for the money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the post re harbor freight. We actually have one here in Bend ORegon! I am there tommorrow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I picked up a cheap outdoor mat from Target and threw that in the cargo area. Doesn't slip and has enough carpet on top to hold small items.

Then I just bought a great (and cheap!) cargo organizer that measures almost the exact same length as the mat (30 inches) and has velcro on the bottom so it holds to it nice and tight. It has 4 spaces to hold plastic grocery bags, etc. and if I'm not using it I can fold it up and store it. I got it from a local place but they have a website:

http://pcnametag.com/product-On_Site_File_Drawer-1656.aspx

Here's a photo of it in my Element:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the OEM organizer and it lasted about two years of heavy use. Now we use some soda crates. 3 across. I like that harbour freight one. It is nice.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
I use this heavy duty plastic trunk with two wheels and a handle that I picked up at walmart for less than $30.
contico.JPG

It doesn't collapse but it is very sturdy and easy to move around.
I use bungee cords to hold it down so that it doesn't slide or bounce around.

·
Registered
643 Posts
That cargo organizer is very nice. Unless you are a purist and consider it blasphemy to have something non OEM on your car, this organizer looks like the way to go at about $40 less than the Honda version.

You're welcome. Harbor Freight is one of my favorite sources for basic tools and odd-n-ends for my Element. Their stuff may not be the absolute best quality, but if you treat what you have with reasonable care, it's a good value for the money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts