Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, recently bought an E and one of the accessories offered is an "black tar" undercoating designed to protect the undercarriage of the vehicle from rust and will also supposedly make the vehicle quieter. Looking on the web, I've seen some indication that these undercoatings are not needed. Could any of our dealer members tell me if this is a rip-off or not. Dealers come clean!!!!!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can't say anything about noise reduction, but a very nice addition for th climes in which we have snowy winters. The salt on the roads eats bodywork and undercarriages for breakfast. I will still consider having my "E" taken to a Krown rust-proofing centre have it undersprayed.

Iskie

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did get the UC on my 93 Civic Si but I can't really say if it did me any good. The car was pretty loud inside, all from road noise so I would say it really does not do much for sound. I had the car for eight years and had no rust problems any where. UC or no UC. I did not get the UC for my E.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depending on where you live it might bea good idea, if you live either near the ocean, where the air is rather salty, or in an area of heavy snow where the roads are sanded and salted, then it might be good.

The manufacturer does put some undercoating on to begin with, the stuff we use comes out of a spray can and does not take that long to apply (as long as you can raise the car high enough).

Here in TX is not really a must, so I have no personal experience, but you also might be able to shop around and get it applied somewhere else for a lot less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
additional undercoating applied at the dealership is a blatant rip-off... trust me ~ I've dealt with the theives for years ~ and since I've known many of them personally.. I get to have an inside track on them ... you would feel really bad if you heard them laughing at you with their other salesmen buddies after you left ~ with your new undercoating.. it's a scam

If you would feel better about it and you live in a really salty area (does any state actually still really allow salt to put on roads?!?!? .. I sure hope not) ~ go to an aftermarket dealer... NEVER EVER buy anything except the car from a dealership...EVER!

Something else they like to stick it it to you... NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER agree to buy any of the following!! EVER EVER!!

"Paint Sealent" ~ usually runs about $195 - $250... IT'S A COAT OF "NU FINISH" car wax... the stuff in the orange bottle.. I've watched them put it on... the detail boys out back do it while your signing your paperwork... you just bought a $250 coat of low qaulity wax

"Interior Protectant" or "Fabric Protector" ~ runs from $150 to $300.. This would consist of 1 to 2 cans of 3M Scotchgard ... you can buy them for $5 at Lowes yourself...

"Pinstriping" ~ they pay an independent vendor who comes to the lot... get this.. TEN DOLLARS PER CAR... TEN!... I've seen it listed on window invoices anywhere from $95 to $195

Window Tinting... ever get them to tint the front doors to even out the appearance?... for starters.. they farmed the work out to a tint shop... who probably charged them around $40 for the 2 doors... the dealer charged YOU $95... just go to the tint shop yourself and keep $55.

undoubtedly there's a few more.. but am having a hard time remembering what else they ream you on

·
Registered
120 Posts
Windowtint, I agree all that stuff the dealer sells is scam. Most states that have snow use salt and lots of it. Some use more complex mixtures. Most have stopped using sand since it fouls up sewer ways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Y'all are da bomb!!!!!!! I had a bad feeling from the start, but this is the first car I've ever bought from a dealer, so I didn't realize the extent of the scam. With the benefit of your inside info I decided against the whole paint scam/undercarriage thing and I'll go to a shop for the window tint. Including they wanted for the $49 for the cargo net (including "installation") I estimate my savings at about $360. I'm raising a cold glass of beer to you right now. Seriously, thanks guys!!! :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah, watch the add ons that the dealers try to sell.

New Hampshire still uses Salt on the roads, they need to. VT does not use anything other than once in a blue moon, sand.

Dealers are charging installation prices for things such as the cargo net, cargo tray, etc. These things are just taken out of the box, and put in. While they have to pay for the labor of the guy doing it, it is a lot to spend on something you can do yourself.

The advantage is that if the dealer put it in at the time you buy the car, it is covered by the warrantee. If you have the dealer put it in after, it is just covered by the parts warrantee, not usually as long. If you put it in yourself, the warrantee is usually much shorter still.

Yes, that also covers things like the cargo net. :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts