Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the E's cargo area is wide enough to carry a road bike if you take the front wheel off. I know it fit's easily long ways, but I don't have a tape measure (or an Element) with me. The bike is a 56cm Roubaix by the way,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Oh, well it was just a thought. Going in the long way with one seat up seems perfectly easy, but I think having the bike upside down with a couple of straps to keep it stable might be best. How about visibility issues with a bike on driver's vs. passenger side. Any advice from actual users? I don't have an E yet, but I wants it, my precious.

·
Registered
357 Posts
before I got the roof top bike rack I was stuffing 2 full sized adult bikes (front wheels off) and a child trailer.

One seat up and the child seat on the other.

2 adults, 1 child, 2 bikes and one trailer. tight but doable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi. Not sure how big the child trailer is. I dont have an E yet but want one because I think it would be so handy for vacations with the bikes and luggage. Do you think it would be possible to fit 2 adult bikes and 1 kids bike inside and still keep 1 rear seat in use? I would get an Aeropack for the luggage on the back. Thanks!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have no problem fitting bikes in the back, and since I am short I don't have to take off the front wheel it's a breeze...visibility is better if the bike is behind the drivers seat with the car seat up as the handlebar fits nicely in the space by the back door...bungee cord around the bike handlebar hooked to the handle that you clip the seat to and another one around the bike seat hooked to the baby car seat clip in the back keeps the bike upright...I find that bikes fit better with the back seat up as opposed to taken out...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Carrying bikes

IMO forgo the Aeropack, install a hitch and tray type bike rack for the adult bikes and put the childs bike and luggage in the E.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks so much for your opinion! I was hoping to save money by stuffing bikes in element and just having to buy the aeropack but not sure it would work since I don't have the element yet. That was one reason I was looking at the element. I thought it would be so handy for hauling stuff without having to get a cumbersome bike rack on back but Im still loving the element and will probably get one. Especially after seeing all the E love on this site! Have a great day and thanks again for your time!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi. Not sure how big the child trailer is. I dont have an E yet but want one because I think it would be so handy for vacations with the bikes and luggage. Do you think it would be possible to fit 2 adult bikes and 1 kids bike inside and still keep 1 rear seat in use? I would get an Aeropack for the luggage on the back. Thanks!
3 bikes w/out something poking at the kid's seat gets tough.

A lot of it depends on the size bikes involved from a length perspective. My MTB's fit better since the bars aren't extended as far forward, but they're wider because of the bars too. Even with the front wheel off I have to c0ck my road bike sideways some because of the length so 3 won't work.

I will say my kid's 12" bike fit much better than the 16" bike. It's just the weird way the bars/cranks line up with the full size bike frame/cranks. No matter how I try it the pedals get in the way. I think probably if I elevated the adult bikes I could get it to work better. Too much work to uninstall/reinstall the kids seat & flip up both seats to get it all to line up without scratching my bike or the kid so I just slap on the hitch rack and am done with it in a minute or 2. :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
i fit two adult mountain bikes in the back of mine .. it's where they're kept in the spring/summer/fall since we use them so much. I too put them on the driver's side because visibility is better with them on that side. I can put the rear passenger seat down too and fit three adults.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
The visibility issues don't really come from the bikes being back there but rather the seats being folded up on the side.

In my opinion I would save for a hitch mounted bike rack (after you get a 2" hitch of course) and enjoy not having to play bike tetris every time you want to go somewhere.

My Hollywood 4 bike rack is the best $100 I ever spent. Thank you Craigslist. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts