Honda Element Owners Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to trade my 2001 Chrysler Town and Country 17mpg for an Element awd EX which does not qualify for Cash for Clunkers as a car, but would qualify if it's classified as an SUV. Anyone know which class it is? I would like the 3500 dollars, which is more than my van is worth.

thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
PA registration lists it as a "sw" (station wagon) and not a "truck."

That said, it goes by how it fits into CAFE requirements, and I believe it would qualify as a light truck there. Check fueleconomy.gov.

I, on the other hand, wish it qualified as a clunker. 9K off a Jeep Wrangler from Chryco?! I'm in.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
State classifications, which are all over the map, don't matter. This is an EPA-administered program, so it's how the EPA classifies it, which is "small SUV".

·
Registered
724 Posts
State classifications, which are all over the map, don't matter. This is an EPA-administered program, so it's how the EPA classifies it, which is "small SUV".
BINGO!

Here's the official site for the program and an easy "How To" system to check to see what you qualify for.

http://www.cars.gov/how

Here is also a quick breakdown of the categories and rules:

Older Trade-In Vehicles:
* Must be in drivable condition;
* Have been continuously insured to the same owner for at least one year immediately prior to trade-in;
* Manufactured in model year 1984 or later; and
* Have a combined fuel economy of 18 mpg or less.

New Vehicles (divided in to 4 categories) - The mpg values are EPA combined city/highway fuel economy as posted on the window sticker of the new vehicle.

Passenger Cars: New passenger cars with mileage of at least 22 mpg are eligible for discounts. If the mileage of the new car is at least 4 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the discount will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new car is at least 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the discount will be worth $4,500.

Light-Duty Trucks: New light trucks or SUVs with mileage of at least 18 mpg are eligible for discounts. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 2 mpg higher than the old truck, the discount will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 5 mpg higher than the old truck, the discount will be worth $4,500.

Large Light-Duty Trucks: New large trucks (pick-up trucks and vans weighing between 6,000 and 8,500 pounds) with mileage of at least 15 mpg are eligible for discounts. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 1 mpg higher than the old truck, the discount will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 2 mpg higher than the old truck, the discount will be worth $4,500.

Work Trucks: Consumers can trade in a pre-2002 work truck (defined as a pick-up truck or cargo van weighing from 8,500-10,000 pounds) and receive a discount worth $3,500 for a new work truck in the same or smaller weight class. Dicounts are limited to 7.5 percent of total funds. There are no EPA mileage measures for these trucks; however, because newer models are cleaner than older models, the age requirement ensures that the trade will improve environmental quality. Consumers can also "trade down," receiving a $3,500 voucher for trading in an older work truck and purchasing a smaller light-duty truck weighing from 6,000 – 8,500 pounds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And there is a total money amount which I don't remember what it is right now. So don't think this offer will be around 1 year from now. When the money is gone, it's gone.
I kind of luckily do not qualify with my 18 year old Subaru because it has a too high combined mpg. I can't buy a new vehicle right now due to being between jobs but would be majorly bummed if I missed out on $3500 or $4500for a car that might normally be a $1000 trade-in.
Mrbill5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so should I assume it is classified as "light truck or suv" in which case the $3500 is mine....?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Element is covered by the CARS program. I traded in my 1989 GMC Safari Van today on a new 09 EX. Got the $3500 credit for the van.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The new "e"

So the Element as I was told by the NHTSA is a Category 1 truck. If you van is rated combined (city / hwy) on the cars.gov site here http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/CarsSearchIntro.shtml @ 17mpg and the Element gets 21 AWD or 22 Fwd then you could get $3500 against an AWD or $4500 toward a FWD. Yes it does qualify because I got my New CFM E Today! Here she is sitting next to the Clunker it replaces:D:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Element is covered by the CARS program. I traded in my 1989 GMC Safari Van today on a new 09 EX. Got the $3500 credit for the van.
Would your Van be worth $3500 on the market....selling as a used car? Or worth that as a "trade in" without this "clunker" program?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
And there is a total money amount which I don't remember what it is right now. So don't think this offer will be around 1 year from now. When the money is gone, it's gone.
They said on the news this morning that the funds available may run out by this weekend. Better hurry folks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Contact your Insurance company

Just give your auto insurance company a call. They will know exactly what it is. I thought it was very reasonable to insure. So my guess would be a station wagon.

Hi, I want to trade my 2001 Chrysler Town and Country 17mpg for an Element awd EX which does not qualify for Cash for Clunkers as a car, but would qualify if it's classified as an SUV. Anyone know which class it is? I would like the 3500 dollars, which is more than my van is worth.

thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Would your Van be worth $3500 on the market....selling as a used car? Or worth that as a "trade in" without this "clunker" program?
Exactly----this program is being perceived as giving worth to autos that had zero worth before. Plus you lose some negotiating ability----just like a trade-in buy.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Hey all, I was listening to a report last night on how the program is going. If
you are thinking about doing this trade in, do it NOW. The reason I say this,
the government set aside 1 Billion Dollars aside for the program. They also said
it will run until November 1st, or until the money runs out. If you do the math,
that is ONLY about 250,000 cars. The dealer they were talking to last night,
said his dealership alone did 88 cars from Fri - Sun. He said this is the trend
all over the US. He said at this pace, the US would sell 1 Million cars a month.
He said at this pace, the money will run out in less than two weeks!!!!! Every
dealer they talked to said they had more customers buy cars this past weekend
than they had in the last 15 - 18 months!!!! This is a great program that you
need to take advantage of NOW!!!!

Strike while the poker is hot!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ammolab,

My van that went in for the cash for clunkers program only blue booked for $300, but it met all the requirements for the govt. program.

If any of you decide to get in on this, make sure you've got all the necessary paperwork because there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

My car was actually the first one that my Honda dealership processed. They had one earlier in the day but the paperwork fell through due to it not meeting the specs. This is according to my salesman.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Town and Country van w 150k miles is worth around 3000 on Kelly Blue Book trade in, but in reality I was told 0 dollars because no one can sell a high mileage american made van. So, it appears that it's really $3500 to me. I would assume that one would negotiate a price near invoice and then take off the cash from that number.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.