1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...No really!

Officials: Swine flu confirmed in Iowa cat
November 04, 2009 7:02 PM EST

DES MOINES, Iowa - A 13-year-old Iowa cat has been infected with swine flu, veterinary and federal officials said Wednesday, and it is believed to be the first case of the H1N1 virus in a feline.

The domestic shorthaired cat was treated last week at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Ames and has recovered, officials said. The virus also has been confirmed in two ferrets - one in Oregon and the other in Nebraska - but they died.

"We've known certainly it's possible this could happen," said Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesman Tom Skinner. "This may be the first instance where we have documentation that transmission occurred involving cats or dogs."

The veterinarian who treated the cat, Dr. Brett Sponseller, said two of the three people in the cat's Iowa home had flu-like symptoms before the cat became ill. The case was confirmed at both Iowa State and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Other influenza strains have been known to cross species, but Sponseller cautioned against drawing too many conclusions from the cat including whether other pets could also get the swine flu.

"It's well documented in influenza in general, but this is the first highly suspected case of H1N1 going from humans into a cat," he said.

The indoor cat was lethargic, had a loss of appetite and appeared to have trouble breathing after it became infected, Sponseller said. Its owners declined to comment.

Officials said pet owners should take the same precautions against spreading swine flu to pets as they would with humans.

Getting children vaccinated for swine flu can also help prevent the illness from spreading to pets. There is no swine flu vaccine for pets.

Dr. Ann Garvey, Iowa's state health veterinarian, said it is not yet known how sick cats or other pets could get from swine flu.

"Because we haven't seen that many cases, it's difficult to give a blanket assessment on how sick it can make an animal," she said.

Officials also stressed that there is no evidence that swine flu can be passed from pets to people.

"But it's so early in the game we don't know how it's going to behave. But that doesn't appear to be the concern. There's no sense of them passing it on to people," said Michael San Filippo, spokesman for the American Veterinary Medical Association.

-----

Associated Press Medical Writer Mike Stobbe in Atlanta contributed to this report.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It's a sign of the end times . . . 2012 is right around the corner! :roll:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I read all the way to then end, hoping for a punchline. "Cat has swine flu" is a great opening to a joke.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I heard about this on my local news.
It appears that pigs, a herd in Indiana has caught and recovered from the swine flu, along with several herds in Ireland and Norway.

A cat and a ferret are confirmed with H1N1 and an unconfirmed dog death in Taiwan.
As far as dogs, they typically are not tested for it if they become ill, so we won't know if they can contract it. I suppose it will be like the cat, a family who contracts H1N1 and has a dog fall ill, will need to have it tested to confirm it.

It has been believed that birds can get swine flu since part of the virus is an avian strain. Now it is confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8224923.stm

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Joy... Just what I need to add to my worries...
This is seriously messed up, what next???:zombie004:

Stay healthy y'all.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
As far as I know the virus from the ferret is still being sequenced.

This is somewhat second hand but, I trust my source on this. It appears that animal seemed to be recovering shortly before it died. The owners are not having it necropsied.

The cat is a bonified H1N1 tho. Pretty neat huh.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I had to go into a pharmacy today, people were in there coughing, I was feeling....ugghhhhhh-----SANITIZE ME!:zombie009::zombie001:
Sorry G to hijack the thread, but has anyone seen this? Are supposed to spray it in the face of someone getting ready to sneeze or cough???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sorry G to hijack the thread, but has anyone seen this? Are supposed to spray it in the face of someone getting ready to sneeze or cough???
Tear gas works better...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I love news outlets. Did they not hear about the cat?:lol:

My bad. That article is from Sunday.

I guess I should clarify the sequencing statement. Yes, it was an H1N1. It has not yet been confirmed that it is the H1N1 that everyone is whining about. MMMMM bacon lung *drool*.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heeheeeheeee, I want one just for kicks

Tear gas works better...
:lol: :lol:

If I'd known Gidget might be vulnerable to swine flu I'd have gotten her this canine oxygen hood before I got sick.

http://www.aeromedix.com/product-ex...uct_id/1406/nm/4Paws_Aviation_Dog_Oxygen_Hood

·
Registered
662 Posts
They wouldn't smile at you, around here, if you sprayed something in their face. Hard-headed bunch here----a 2X4 works and is much cheaper. :060:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts