Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

On MotorWeek, it was suggested that putting u-bolt exhaust clamps on the catalytic converter might act as a deterrent. (That might make it a bit harder to cut it out.) Have any of you done that? It looks like it might be pretty easy to do. I park my Element outside and I am concerned. Thank you in advance.

Barbara

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite possibly. They also suggested parking over mud puddles, lol. Not an option here in NM, most days. It's not just the cost and damage, it's also the time without wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're going to measure the length and width of the converter pipe. My guess is that it will cost about $50 for enough of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

On MotorWeek, it was suggested that putting u-bolt exhaust clamps on the catalytic converter might act as a deterrent. (That might make it a bit harder to cut it out.) Have any of you done that? It looks like it might be pretty easy to do. I park my Element outside and I am concerned. Thank you in advance.

Barbara
Barbara, I have had my converter stolen twice. The second time I got a Cat Clamp. It has not happened since and I see lots of thefts are still happening here - mentioned several times on Nextdoor every week.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
We're going to measure the length and width of the converter pipe. My guess is that it will cost about $50 for enough of them.
Thanks please post when you have it measured up, I like this idea alot and may do it as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
Barbara, I have had my converter stolen twice. The second time I got a Cat Clamp. It has not happened since and I see lots of thefts are still happening here - mentioned several times on Nextdoor every week.
I just purchased a 2009 Element and I want to get a cat clamp as well. Did you buy the Aerogenics one?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quite possibly. They also suggested parking over mud puddles, lol. Not an option here in NM, most days. It's not just the cost and damage, it's also the time without wheels.
I like that idea, and then run an extension cord with the end cut off into the puddle, not enough to maim or kill, just a helluva jolt, lmao!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why not just use Aerogenics cat cover? There is a discount if you use "ericthecarguy" as a discount code.

Here is the link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, that looks like a pretty beefy deterrent. Especially painted red! Sends the clear message, "Go cut out someone else's cat."

·
Registered
2008 EX AWD, 84K
21 Posts
I'm looking at doing this. I've had my original cat stolen and now have a Walker replacement. Insurance wouldn't cover an OEM. The Walker is smaller than the original and I don't think the cat cages will fit snugly enough to prevent it being cut out. This looks like it would be a worthy deterrent just for the time it would take to cut through enough of those to get at the cat. Just gonna hate when I have to have exhaust work done.
And yeah, I've heard the thieves don't go for aftermarket cats but, you gonna count on a thief being that discerning when they're ripping you off?
Musical instrument Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Wheel

·
Registered
38 Posts
My son had his converter stolen in front of his apartment. I wrapped mine thoroughly with about 20 feet of scrap barbed wire. It's not going anywhere! (knock on wood)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why not just use Aerogenics cat cover? There is a discount if you use "ericthecarguy" as a discount code.

Here is the link.

i just installed the Aerogenics. Took about an hour. Put the sticker on the side window too. Also a deterrent. My thoughts were that the cables could be cut fairly easy, like a bike lock would be. $200 vs $2000 for a new CAT seemed like a bargain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

This is the California Walker catalytic converter with the Cat Security enclosure installed over it. It will take some work to steal
this one.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi did you ever end up putting these u bolt clamps on? How many did you use? Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts