Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I have a 2010 Element. There has been an increase in catalytic converter thefts with vehicles in my city. Thieves tend to favor Toyota Prius, but there have been reported thefts on Honda cars. Is it beneficial to invest in a catalytic converter theft shield security device and have this piece installed? Amazon is selling the product for $240 for Honda Element. Wonder if anyone is familiar with installing these devices and any concerns with installation?

·
Registered
2004 Fiji LX Ecamper “Ellie,” 2008 Atomic EX “Otherment,” 2003 Eternal EX Chop Top “Chop_E”
275 Posts
Absolutely. I would suggest doing a search here. There are new threads pretty well weekly of members getting their cats stolen

·
Registered
116 Posts
Element popular for theft because no jacking is required for crooks, they can just slide under that car and cut it off in a minute.

I just put a Miller Cat guard on my daughter's 2010. Kind of a pain to install- I only had ramps, really almost too tight. A lift would be much preferred.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just had my aftermarket cat replaced because it was cracked. My muffler guy installed another aftermarket cat for $1400. Now I never have to worry about it getting stolen because thieves don’t want the aftermarket ones, they are only worth about 20 dollars.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Greetings. I have a 2010 Element. There has been an increase in catalytic converter thefts with vehicles in my city. Thieves tend to favor Toyota Prius, but there have been reported thefts on Honda cars. Is it beneficial to invest in a catalytic converter theft shield security device and have this piece installed? Amazon is selling the product for $240 for Honda Element. Wonder if anyone is familiar with installing these devices and any concerns with installation?

I'd highly recommend a converter . I won't stop a thief from still it. If they want it. They'll take it. Hopefully it will make them think twice. I bought my converter cover from Cat Security out of Sacramento Calif. . Close to 300$. Plus your looking at the costs of 2 oxygen sensors. 600$ from honda. Converter was 1900$ I believe. 4 month wait. Plus some other items. All done and said 2700-2900$.

So 400-500 is pretty reasonable. Considering. Butc luckly had full coverage and comprehensive threw state farm. They cut me a check for 2300$

·
Registered
61 Posts
you need a cat shield tomorrow, today, now! pretty easy install i grabbed an aerogenics one off ebay for 250. its worth the investment and piece of mind! you wont have to deal with cheap aftermarket parts or expensive oem parts, o2 sensor issues and the check engine light issues. after living in my area for 5 years i thought i was safe but i was wrong; twice! its also nice to have when traveling because i dont feel so anxious.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey there,

A lot of the other users have mentioned the same, but below are a few links to get you started on some research. They include pictures so you can get a good understanding of how in depth the installation process is in case you're unsure of doing it on your own or not.

Ive seen people go 1 of 2 routes, either the Aerogenics route or the Cat Security. Ive heard of other knock off version of these 2 but I dont want to go down that rabbit hole. To each their own on the final choice

If you're fairly mechanically inclined then it shouldn't be to difficult of a project. In my opinion, the final adjustments for the Catalytic Converter may be the most time consuming IF you have any clearance issues at all.

Cat Security Thread

Aerogenics Cat Cover Thread

Depending on where you live I know of a few members who will travel & do the install for you for a small fee if this is something youre interested in. Send me a DM if you live on the West Coast & need help finding someone to offer this service. Its definitely a mod you dont want to put off until too late.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our cat got stolen at the beach on SUNDAY at 1pm right near the area you take the bridge to go to beach…South Florid….so the best spot to get to beach..it was very busy..tons of people around..parking lady had just been notified somebody was messing with our car.
our Mechanic found us an after market and installed for 600$ we didn’t know about this other part..
would the thrives even check that this isn’t an original part? I doubt it..cut and run..hopefully they catch these thieves..and leave our E alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly it only takes about 3 minutes for these thieves to use a small quiet battery powered saw, but a cat shield just slows them down, but doesn't prevent the theft. I had my cat replaced with a NON-OEM and had it spray painted with a high temperature florescent paint, and one Oxygen sensor replaced. Instead of purchasing pre-fitted parts that snap together, I found a mechanic that WELDED the pipes to a muffler and cat converter with an oxygen sensor and I only paid a little over $400. It cost a lot more for pre-fitted pipes, and that's why I chose to have the pipes welded instead. The thieves don't want a spray painted non oem cat converter. My Honda Element sits outside in an apartment parking lot and it's been since last fall and no problems since then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had my aftermarket cat replaced because it was cracked. My muffler guy installed another aftermarket cat for $1400. Now I never have to worry about it getting stolen because thieves don’t want the aftermarket ones, they are only worth about 20 dollars.
I wouldn't bank on these bottom feeders having the wisdom or incentive to carefully examine your converter for value. They'll first remove it and maybe then examine it for its' value. I put off installing a cover on my 2011 too long and the delay cost me my OEM converter and a lot of money and grief getting it replaced. But I did get the cover I should have before to protect the after market cat without hesitation. My car sets out all night in my driveway so it's a ready target.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Honestly it only takes about 3 minutes for these thieves to use a small quiet battery powered saw, but a cat shield just slows them down, but doesn't prevent the theft. I had my cat replaced with a NON-OEM and had it spray painted with a high temperature florescent paint, and one Oxygen sensor replaced. Instead of purchasing pre-fitted parts that snap together, I found a mechanic that WELDED the pipes to a muffler and cat converter with an oxygen sensor and I only paid a little over $400. It cost a lot more for pre-fitted pipes, and that's why I chose to have the pipes welded instead. The thieves don't want a spray painted non oem cat converter. My Honda Element sits outside in an apartment parking lot and it's been since last fall and no problems since then.
I have also gone the aftermarket cat route, and was wondering if the thieves are smart enough to know what aftermarket cats look like. I've been trying to think of a way to let them know, so they aren't disappointed when they go to their buyer and get laughed out of town trying to sell their buyer some scrap metal. High temperature fluorescent paint sounds like a good idea, I think there should be enough space on the cat to write a warning for them, and tell them some choice words.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Aftermarket ones do get stolen, even tho they’re not as valuable. I would cover it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts