Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only a couple of weeks into my element life - someone crawled under my element parked on my chicago street and cut out the catalytic converter and stole it. when i started the car and it was super loud it hit me what must have happened - and it had. stealing cat converters is something i'd heard about in the past but not recently.

any tips for deterring such heists?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
106 Posts
only a couple of weeks into my element life - someone crawled under my element parked on my chicago street and cut out the catalytic converter and stole it. when i started the car and it was super loud it hit me what must have happened - and it had. stealing cat converters is something i'd heard about in the past but not recently.

thanks in advance
Cat Clamp google it

·
Registered
1 Posts

thanks in advance
This happened to my 2008 last winter parked on the near northside of the city. Did some research and bought a Cat Clamp system from Ohio. Had it installed from a local shop and it hasn't happened again. Still park in the same spot as before. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
here is more info:
So I need to lower my E, maybe add some ground effects?

On the flip side, since I’m in a state without emissions checks, sounds like I’m about two minutes away from my E giving me $85!! (jk) Makes me impervious to converter thieves too!

Interesting story; thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
This just (almost) happened to me 2 days ago. The mostly cut through one half of the pipe. Apparently got spooked and took off. I’m looking more closely at protection devices, too. The Cat Clamp seems the most popular. It seems like half the reviews I’ve read about it are from Element owners.
Apparently the problem is an unfortunate combination of low emissions car with a lot of fancy metal in the cat, and ground clearance.
i can confirm that lowering 2 inches is not enough to keep people out. Tweakers are notoriously skinny
people.
E6227D9F-931B-489C-A199-E2D208CB22C9.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its on the increase here in the SF Bay Area too. There are some devices you can get that help prevent this. Catstrap, Catclamp and others.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
i can confirm that lowering 2 inches is not enough to keep people out.
Inches mean nothing. Less than 30 seconds to saw off and THEY BRING THEIR OWN JACK. Saw a reddit video of it recently. They stop in the street right next to your parked car and just pretend they are working on their own car. Said car also
blocks the view of them going after the parked car.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Crazy town. It is one of those situations that all you can do is make it harder than someone else's car.
I still dream of finding pre-tensioned rolls of razor-wire or barbed-wire to install. Unbolt cat, slide on similar diameter roll of razor wire per each end, rebolt cat. Thief saws through any bit on either end and SPROING-SLICE!

·
Registered
69 Posts
😱 While i totally get where you are coming from... it's just a car, and seriously messing someone up seems... disproportionate. I think i'll focus on prevention rather than retribution. ;)

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
It IS prevention if you have a brain.

Also try telling your mechanic it's only worth $20 when he hands you a $2000 bill to fix it. Or your insurance when they total your otherwise perfect car over putting a new cat in.

·
Registered
19 Posts

thanks in advance
Same thing happened to me, in Los Angeles, in front of our townhouse. Didn't realize the sawing noice was someone removing it.
The police suggest getting your VIN number etched on to the converter, and marked with bright paint, and putting a sticker in your window letting the thieves know that your converter is marked. It's a deterrent, because someone who buys a converter with these markings knows they’re receiving stolen property, so it makes them harder to sell. Some cities have a "Etch and Catch" service, where they will do the etching for free. I've heard that you can get a catalytic converter cage, to make it harder to steal. Also, depending on your insurance, it might be covered.
Sorry it happened to you. It really sucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts

thanks in advance
Man. I have an ‘06 E and my catalytic converter just got stolen over a week ago, too. 🤦🏿‍♀️ Apparently the Element is a popular vehicle because of its ease of access and fairly costly part. It’s still in the shop, but I am trying to figure out what preventative measure to take so it won’t happen again. I am here for ideas. Good luck to you!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts