Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all- I just bought a 2008 EX yesterday and only now discovered I now have a target for catalytic converter theft. I have good insurance, but I’m seeing some people have had their cat ripped out multiple times.
The one I bought had its car converter ripped out on the lot, and the dealer replaced it.
I can’t park my element in the garage, so I have looked at the “cat clamp.” I know it can only deter, but since I work at a hardware store, I had the thought of further threading the cable Through sections of metal pipe, to add another level of protection against some opportunist with a sawzall.
Sure, it would be a further headache to put on and take off, but Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2005 m/t EX AWD
15 Posts
Hey all- I just bought a 2008 EX yesterday and only now discovered I now have a target for catalytic converter theft. I have good insurance, but I’m seeing some people have had their cat ripped out multiple times.
The one I bought had its car converter ripped out on the lot, and the dealer replaced it.
I can’t park my element in the garage, so I have looked at the “cat clamp.” I know it can only deter, but since I work at a hardware store, I had the thought of further threading the cable Through sections of metal pipe, to add another level of protection against some opportunist with a sawzall.
Sure, it would be a further headache to put on and take off, but Any thoughts?
Go find Casey Horner on Honda Element Owners Group on Facebook. His is the only cat shield you need.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,398 Posts
Hey all! I just grabbed one of these from Axion Cybernetic. I did a ton of research and I think these stainless ones are gonna last longer than just a regular steel one.
Their pictures leave a bit to be desired as to how well it covers the cat and how it mounts. Do you have photos of yours after installation?

Got a response from them - pictures are deliberately vague to not assist thieves in trying to defeat it. Still like to see better pictures of one installed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Was thinking about designing a similar item to the one from Casey and Axion have made once my Cat was taken a few weeks back.

Both seem like solid solutions. Due to lack of detailed pics (for obvious reasons) I'm having a tough time deciding on which is 'better'. Both seem to make it annoying/difficult to cut the CAT and even if they manage to cut it the Axion claims to bolt onto the O2 sensors (preventing removal without removing the O2 sensors) and it seems the one from Casey 'hugs' the CAT pretty close preventing you from being able to slide it out of place etc.

I do not have FB but I did find this video on trusty Youtube about Casey's design/install. Will have look into the Axion a little more. I reached out to him and it is 11 gauge steel that is water jet cut, cnc bent and then tig welded on a jig.

I'll agree that Stainless will not rust vs bare steel...but you can always paint the bare steel one.

·
Registered
2005 m/t EX AWD
15 Posts
I got Casey's cat shield and finally installed it. It was roughly $200, shipped. I highly recommend Casey's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got Casey's cat shield and finally installed it. It was roughly $200, shipped. I highly recommend Casey's.
Nice! I'm leaning towards getting his when he has stock available. Any chance you have pics of it installed you can text/share/email/message? I just want to see where/how it covers the CAT since I'm not on FB.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,398 Posts
Casey's seems pretty open - does it prevent access to the pipes well enough? Tough to argue with $100 less than the Axion.

·
Registered
2005 m/t EX AWD
15 Posts
Nice! I'm leaning towards getting his when he has stock available. Any chance you have pics of it installed you can text/share/email/message? I just want to see where/how it covers the CAT since I'm not on FB.
Finally installed!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Install looks nice. So nothing is rubbing or making noise? It looks like I see some metal on metal in the pic. I know that cat and exhaust move quite a bit when the motor is running.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@AWD in the install video there seems to be ample room for the exhaust to jostle around. Assuming your exhaust hangers are in decent shape.

I do see what you mean though from that picture...on the left the cable looks like its resting on the cage. But the cable should be pretty rigid and shouldn't be flopping around all over the place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Installed the Casey cat protector yesterday. I rolled my front right wheel over a small brick and chocked my other wheels. Installed it on my back.

It does not hit the exhaust anywhere. No rattle.

Tips for those extra paranoid: If painted black like mine, use black Sugru silicone to completely obscure the hardware. You can also use extra Sugru to make decoys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Installed the Casey cat protector yesterday. I rolled my front right wheel over a small brick and chocked my other wheels. Installed it on my back.

It does not hit the exhaust anywhere. No rattle.

Tips for those extra paranoid: If painted black like mine, use black Sugru silicone to completely obscure the hardware. You can also use extra Sugru to make decoys.

Yeah I was a little curious about what to do with the new shiny hardware...the only issue I have with covering with sugru or similar material...is...what if I need to remove the cage/hardware? I'd be super inconvenienced. Have never used Sugru but wanted to 'hide' the hardware as well.

Edit: just watched some videos and seems you can remove sugru with some effort since its still fairly pliable when cured. I'd likely want to replace the provided hardware that requires a hex key to standard hardware that uses a socket.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts