Honda Element Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah I running a tap would've been a good idea. Not sure that is in his set of tools though.

What are your thoughts on the axion since it arrived?

·
Registered
2008 EX AWD
18 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. Casey is on instagram as mischievous_penguins . Thats how I got a hold of him. Also think his email was throw around in this thread.

I paid him with venmo. He asks for some basic Element info such as AWD/FWD and if you have OEM side steps.

Still waiting on the review of the Axion.

My friend installed his Casey Cage this week. His E is from the NorthEast so there was some surface rust underneath. The hardware he had to remove was rough...and putting in the new hardware and trying to line up the holes of the cage was even harder since the threaded portions were so rough with age/rust. In the end he managed to get it installed.

Words of advice...lift the E. With jack and stands or with ramps. Sure I was able to get under there to install it without lifting...but lifting made it infinitely easier.

Also, hope you have some nice allen hex keys with a nice handle to get some torque on those screws or you have socket versions of hex keys. OR you could simply replace the hex head key hardware with some hex head hardware. They are m6 and m8 screws if I recall. Reason I mention this is, while my pretty clean E I was able to easily hand tighten the screws, my buddy with his more 'experienced' Element could not. Plus with using a hex tool he was worried he was cross threading due to the friction caused by the age/corrosion.
Excellent advice, Shinjari! I do have some good hex tools but, might invest in security hexes for this job. That may change as I'm still in paranoid mode after having had this happen. But, thank you for the recommendations!

·
Registered
2008 EX AWD
18 Posts
It is a good idea to run a tap into the holes to clean up the threads before installing the bolts. Also, use some kind of assembly lube on the bolts to help seal the threads from water intrusion. Got my Axion Wednesday; haven't installed it yet.
Oooo. That's a great idea to clean out the threads. My E is pretty clean but, twelve years of being on the road will have some effect. The folks that had my E before me took care of it. It was really clean for a midwest car and I've kept that up.
So, if I may ask, what made you choose the Axion?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,396 Posts
Primarily availability at this point. I need to get it installed before Friday when the E heads back to FL with my daughter for school.

·
Registered
2008 EX AWD
18 Posts
I got a hold of Casey via Facebook messenger. Here's his profile. He told me he's got a few weeks worth of builds in line ahead of me and will contact me when he starts on mine to sort out payment.
I haven't heard yet what my insurance is going to cover. I'm want to go with OEM. If that happens, I'm going to spray the cat to make it look aftermarket. I'm also thinking of installing (well, having installed) one of those rebar cages around the whole cat and cage. Let's make those a**holes work their ass off if they wanna get mine again. I'm also thinking about installing some kind of flashing red light on the cage, for effect.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,396 Posts
Installed the Axion yesterday. The bag with the included fasteners was cut so the bolts and washers were loose in the box; I think one washer escaped. Installation is relatively straightforward. Plenty of clearance with right side up on ramps. The biggest problem I had was getting the 02 connectors off the bracket because of rust on the tabs the connectors mount to - it took me almost an hour to get them both off.

They recommend you shave off part of the bracket to allow the shield flange to sit flush over the bracket. I cut the recommended portion off, then wire brushed the whole thing (and trimmed the electrical tabs a little), then painted it. Seems like there should be a way to not have to do this - you don't realize it until you get the instructions. I may even buy a new bracket, modify it, then have it powder coated.

After installation, the heat shield on the catalytic converter was touching the right side of the Axion. I "adjusted" it some by pushing from the left side with my foot; then tightened up the rubber hanger behind it with a hose clamp.

Comments for Axion:
  • I didn't measure the gauge of the metal, I suppose I expected it to be thicker.
  • Large "dimples" at the mounting holes so it doesn't compress the heat shield against the underside of the body. Don't know which is worse for possibly collecting debris.
  • Bolts were a combination of hex and Allen head, I expected all Allen head screws. One small screw was a secure Torx head, not sure where that was supposed to be used. I may eventually try to find all secure Torx head bolts to replace them all.
  • It requires some manipulation (pressing the sides together) to get the mounting holes to line up.
  • The shield was packaged fairly loosely in the box (not that it would be damaged by movement) with pillow packs, but most of the pillows were deflated, possibly from the sharp edges of the shield.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Installed the Axion yesterday. The bag with the included fasteners was cut so the bolts and washers were loose in the box; I think one washer escaped. Installation is relatively straightforward. Plenty of clearance with right side up on ramps. The biggest problem I had was getting the 02 connectors off the bracket because of rust on the tabs the connectors mount to - it took me almost an hour to get them both off.

They recommend you shave off part of the bracket to allow the shield flange to sit flush over the bracket. I cut the recommended portion off, then wire brushed the whole thing (and trimmed the electrical tabs a little), then painted it. Seems like there should be a way to not have to do this - you don't realize it until you get the instructions. I may even buy a new bracket, modify it, then have it powder coated.

After installation, the heat shield on the catalytic converter was touching the right side of the Axion. I "adjusted" it some by pushing from the left side with my foot; then tightened up the rubber hanger behind it with a hose clamp.

Comments for Axion:
  • I didn't measure the gauge of the metal, I suppose I expected it to be thicker.
  • Large "dimples" at the mounting holes so it doesn't compress the heat shield against the underside of the body. Don't know which is worse for possibly collecting debris.
  • Bolts were a combination of hex and Allen head, I expected all Allen head screws. One small screw was a secure Torx head, not sure where that was supposed to be used. I may eventually try to find all secure Torx head bolts to replace them all.
  • It requires some manipulation (pressing the sides together) to get the mounting holes to line up.
  • The shield was packaged fairly loosely in the box (not that it would be damaged by movement) with pillow packs, but most of the pillows were deflated, possibly from the sharp edges of the shield.

View attachment 207121 View attachment 207122

View attachment 207124
Do you have a better picture of the 02 sensor side? Did you get the optional end pieces?

I wonder if I should sharpen the edges.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ordered a cage from Casey. Will be replacing my Cat Clamp with it so if you want a discount on one that is only a few months old, hit me up. I think it is a great solution but for the unimproved road I'm going to have to traverse regularly I want the armoring of Casey's piece.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,396 Posts
I only drove it briefly after installing the shield. After my daughter drove it some on Thursday, the converter started rattling against the Axion (I find this out at 10:00 pm the night before we're supposed to drive it to FL). I tried another "adjustment" with my foot; no luck. There is an exhaust hanger not too far behind the converter; I cut a spare hanger in half, put one half inside the intact hanger on the bottom and the other outside of the intact hanger on the top side to force the exhaust system away from the shield. It stayed in place for the whole trip to FL .

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,396 Posts
Do you have a better picture of the 02 sensor side? Did you get the optional end pieces?
I brightened the O2 sensor side picture above. I guess I should have taken a closer picture of the sensor bracket. The sensors protrude part way through the two large holes on that side.

·
Registered
2008 EX AWD
18 Posts
I only drove it briefly after installing the shield. After my daughter drove it some on Thursday, the converter started rattling against the Axion (I find this out at 10:00 pm the night before we're supposed to drive it to FL). I tried another "adjustment" with my foot; no luck. There is an exhaust hanger not too far behind the converter; I cut a spare hanger in half, put one half inside the intact hanger on the bottom and the other outside of the intact hanger on the top side to force the exhaust system away from the shield. It stayed in place for the whole trip to FL .

View attachment 207170
A couple of the videos I watched suggested using a zip tie to snug up the rubber hanger. Too late now but, when she gets back from the semester, if needed.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,396 Posts
A couple of the videos I watched suggested using a zip tie to snug up the rubber hanger. Too late now but, when she gets back from the semester, if needed.
I actually used a large radiator hose clamp first (I don't think a plastic zip tie is going to hold up long). It raised it some, but not enough to keep it from hitting the shield when moving back and forth. The hanger pieces moved it inboard enough that I didn't hear it once during the trip to FL.

·
Registered
2008 EX AWD
18 Posts
Well, got my E back from getting the cat replaced. My insurance wouldn't cover OEM so, they installed a Walker. Not having really studied the old cat in any kind of detail, is the Walker the same size? I was going to get a Casey cage but, not sure if it will be as effective with the Walker Cat. So, is it the same size? Anybody have any idea?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,396 Posts
Thieves typically don't target aftermarket converters. I think the aftermarket converters are typically smaller, so either the Horner or Axion cage would protect it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Casey cat cage sure is well-made! Kind of had my doubts about whether you could still sneak the cat out of it if you cut it just right but yeah, I don't think so.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts