Honda Element Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,481 Posts
I'd suggest either high temperature caliper paint or engine paint to tolerate the heat from the converter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also just received my cage from Casey. Can anyone give me some insight on what the procedure is to paint it? New territory for me.
I removed any packing tape left on it, and wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol to clean/degrease it. I used Tremclad high temperature BBQ paint.

The paint will help slow corrosion. I’m not sure if it is really necessary. Depends if you are in salt areas. The steel is very thick an may take many years to rust through.

·
Registered
2008 EX AWD
18 Posts
Thieves typically don't target aftermarket converters. I think the aftermarket converters are typically smaller, so either the Horner or Axion cage would protect it.
I get that but, I don't think I want to count on a thief being discerning when they're sawing off my cat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I get that but, I don't think I want to count on a thief being discerning when they're sawing off my cat.
I agree. One thing with thieves is they come in all types. Smart ones, stupid ones, and not discerning ones. If you are unlucky, they could take whatever is there, OEM or not.

There have been enough reports of aftermarket ones cut that I prefer not to take the risk.

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
45 Posts
I removed any packing tape left on it, and wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol to clean/degrease it. I used Tremclad high temperature BBQ paint.

The paint will help slow corrosion. I’m not sure if it is really necessary. Depends if you are in salt areas. The steel is very thick an may take many years to rust through.
Thanks for the info, I painted and installed this week. It color matched super well to the caliper paint at Autozone. Is anyone doing anything special to the bolts after install? It doesn't seem all that difficult to remove.

I'm eating my M&Ms right now...

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the info, I painted and installed this week. It color matched super well to the caliper paint at Autozone. Is anyone doing anything special to the bolts after install? It doesn't seem all that difficult to remove.

I'm eating my M&Ms right now...
I replaced some of the bolts some are security Torx. Then I put a semi-spherical blob of matte black silicone (Sugru) covering the bolt heads and washers. I also put decoys made of Sugru in line with the others.

If a thief looked under, they it would be confused and if they continued , would need to pry off the silicone over each one and swap sockets repeatedly.

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
45 Posts
I replaced some of the bolts some are security Torx. Then I put a semi-spherical blob of matte black silicone (Sugru) covering the bolt heads and washers. I also put decoys made of Sugru in line with the others.

If a thief looked under, they it would be confused and if they continued , would need to pry off the silicone over each one and swap sockets repeatedly.
In that vein perhaps I will glue 50 bolt heads to the underside. o_O

·
Registered
51 Posts

What size thread pitch are the bolts?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered a cage from Casey. Will be replacing my Cat Clamp with it so if you want a discount on one that is only a few months old, hit me up. I think it is a great solution but for the unimproved road I'm going to have to traverse regularly I want the armoring of Casey's piece.
Did you sell your cat clamp?

·
Registered
2008 Element LX
11 Posts
By those who bought Casey's shield and painted it, did you guys use primer and baked it as instructed?

·
Registered
48 Posts
By those who bought Casey's shield and painted it, did you guys use primer and baked it as instructed?
I degreased it and just used high heat rust paint. For my planned use and areas I drive to, this should be more than good enough.

·
Registered
2008 Element LX
11 Posts
I degreased it and just used high heat rust paint. For my planned use and areas I drive to, this should be more than good enough.
I didnt use primer. But I did end up baking it up to 400 deg as instructed for the high temp paint. It also said up to 600 but I thought it was enough for the use and plus the wife didnt want the oven that high. I think it turned out good.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I didnt use primer. But I did end up baking it up to 400 deg as instructed for the high temp paint. It also said up to 600 but I thought it was enough for the use and plus the wife didnt want it the oven that high. I think it turned out good.
This fits inside a regular kitchen oven?

·
Registered
2008 Element LX
11 Posts
This fits inside a regular kitchen oven?
Surprisingly, it fit in our's. If my memory serves me right, the shield is about 22.5" in its longest dimension. When it was baking at 400, we did smell something. We had doors & windows open, exhaust hood on, and our air purifier on to provide some good ventilation.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Surprisingly, it fit in our's. If my memory serves me right, the shield is about 22.5" in its longest dimension. When it was baking at 400, we did smell something. We had doors & windows open, exhaust hood on, and our air purifier on to provide some good ventilation.
Hmmm if I get one maybe I will take it to the bodyshop and have them paint it and bake it in their booth just to avoid any volatile compounds that might be released in the baking process. The body shop environment is one of the most hazardous work places along with hair salons.

The body shop wouldn't charge too much for such a simple and small paint job

81 - 100 of 118 Posts