Honda Element Owners Club banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Usually for something small like that they paint it along with some other parts or a vehicle in the booth at the same time, that is a similiar colour. Makes it much more cost effective for them to paint it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was thinking about designing a similar item to the one from Casey and Axion have made once my Cat was taken a few weeks back.

Both seem like solid solutions. Due to lack of detailed pics (for obvious reasons) I'm having a tough time deciding on which is 'better'. Both seem to make it annoying/difficult to cut the CAT and even if they manage to cut it the Axion claims to bolt onto the O2 sensors (preventing removal without removing the O2 sensors) and it seems the one from Casey 'hugs' the CAT pretty close preventing you from being able to slide it out of place etc.

I do not have FB but I did find this video on trusty Youtube about Casey's design/install. Will have look into the Axion a little more. I reached out to him and it is 11 gauge steel that is water jet cut, cnc bent and then tig welded on a jig.

I'll agree that Stainless will not rust vs bare steel...but you can always paint the bare steel one.

Seems like there is room through Casey’s device to still remove the exhaust though. Asking because mine just got stolen and I don’t want to replace it until I have a system in place that actually has a high chance of protection

·
Registered
910 Posts
Seems like there is still room to cut and remove the exhaust though... thoughts?
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you have gotten yours stolen along with so many others. I know what you mean when you say it looks like it could still be pulled out the back of that protector.

Right now I am leaning towards getting the cat strap, and wrapping it around the leading pipe up towards the exhaust manifold.

I am thinking I really need to protect one end of the cat really well and that would be the front pipe

The rear pipe could be cut further down towards the muffler and possibly slide the cat out pulling it backwards but if we can do more to protect the front piping then the cat cannot be removed if it isnt cut on both ends

Another poster suggested wrapping thick metal chain around the piping and welding that onto the piping, someone else suggested getting thick bars of steel and welding lengths of steel around the piping like a type of ribbing making it very thick and hard to cut through. I like both those ideas and they may be cheaper to do then buying one of the protector devices

·
Registered
910 Posts
Seems like there is room through Casey’s device to still remove the exhaust though. Asking because mine just got stolen and I don’t want to replace it until I have a system in place that actually has a high chance of protection
Also if you are somewhere where they use road salt, I would lean in the direction of one of the stainless steel protectors

Miller Cat and the Axion Cybernetic are both stainless steel from what I have researched

·
Registered
288 Posts
Also if you are somewhere where they use road salt, I would lean in the direction of one of the stainless steel protectors

Miller Cat and the Axion Cybernetic are both stainless steel from what I have researched
Cat Security seems stainless. Time will tell if mine rusts.

·
Registered
2005 m/t EX AWD
15 Posts
Seems like there is still room to cut and remove the exhaust though... thoughts?
Yes, the exposed end can be cut. They will still be able to damage your car.
But to get the cat out they would have to find a way to cut the secured side or literally rip the cat out.
A group user just avoided getting a new cat because the thieves couldn't get the cat cut away. Casey's shield saved her. She had the pipe rewelded and spent less than $250 in the repair.

·
Registered
2008 Element LX
9 Posts
There is plenty of room at the rear but not much in the front. But if they do cut, its going to be a pain and time consuming to remove it from the shield. See the attached pics from the rear & front view.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you have gotten yours stolen along with so many others. I know what you mean when you say it looks like it could still be pulled out the back of that protector.

Right now I am leaning towards getting the cat strap, and wrapping it around the leading pipe up towards the exhaust manifold.

I am thinking I really need to protect one end of the cat really well and that would be the front pipe

The rear pipe could be cut further down towards the muffler and possibly slide the cat out pulling it backwards but if we can do more to protect the front piping then the cat cannot be removed if it isnt cut on both ends

Another poster suggested wrapping thick metal chain around the piping and welding that onto the piping, someone else suggested getting thick bars of steel and welding lengths of steel around the piping like a type of ribbing making it very thick and hard to cut through. I like both those ideas and they may be cheaper to do then buying one of the protector devices
Hi!
it may have been me suggesting the chains. I was thinking of first using that cat strap which is supposed to have glue on one side. It’s like a protective heat safe tape that has cables inside. I don’t know if it’s still available. I need to check. I’d wrap it several times on the incoming pipe to the cat then bring it once over to wrap several times around the outgoing pipe from the cat. Those areas that are targeted the most. Then I’d wrap heavy chain over the heat tape or cat strap, occasionally spot welding to reduce friction and noise as well as to help with weight by a couple of welds of the chain to the undercarriage. I’m a woman, not a mechanic, but my dad was an inventor and had tons of great ideas. I think I inherited his inventive mind. Then again maybe this won’t work. It seems that using a saws all or an angle type cutting tool would be hard to use on chains that move around somewhat.
Any thoughts on this??? Has anyone done this?
Thanks

101 - 110 of 110 Posts